Can't run & Can't uninstall!

rchddap

Chieftain
had a few problems with my computer so I went back to an older 'restore point' (on Windows XP Home). The issues I was experiencing were fixed (ie, unable to run Windows Update), but am now experiencing issues with Civilization IV.

When i attempt to run the game I see two error messages after the initial 'loading' screen:-

1. XML Load Error - Failed loading XML file Assets//XML\GameInfo\Civ4playeroptioninfos.xml
2. XML Error - Loadxml call failed for Gameinfo/civ4playeroptioninfos.xml. Current xml file is:

After clicking Ok on the second error message nothing happens

Next I tried to uninstall the game. After a search I found the only way was via Add/Remove Programs. However, on clicking remove I see an error box:-

1. Setup.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. If you were in th emiddle of something, th einformation you were working on might be lost.

Then nothing happens

After calling Civ4 tech support I was advised to install a parser from the microsoft download site, and to re-install patch 1.52. I have done both of these things as instructed, and still have problems.

Please can you help me to get my game operational again. i am very annoyed. Please, please, please help me

I have the following PC:-

AMD 3200+
1Gb Ram
Geforce 6600 GT AGP 256Mb Graphics Card
Windows XP Home

This sounds very much like a virus on your computer messing with some of the windows files. I had the same problem about 2 years ago.

If you have Norton anti virus software and it says your clear, its wrong, norton isn't the best, try the free version of AVG (search "avg free" in google)

While you are at it, why not download windows anti spyware software delta.
If everything is all clear, there could be some issues with your computer as a whole, the best idea for best running would be to retore your computer totaly to factory settings.

How do you connect to the internet?

Have mcafee installed...it says everything is fine...and its the latest version

connect to net via broadband...have firewall (of course)

Can't go back to factory settings as its a custom made PC

hmmm it does sound like something is messing with your computer... if its just the game making errors then thats normal but as soon as windows starts doing the errors too thats when the alarm bells ring....

Wired connected. Using Mcafee Internet Security suite 8.0...recently bought and fully uptodate.

No error messages when windows starts...just when civ4 starts.

Finally got game back. Managed to info out of support (eventually) about how to manually uninstall / re-install the game. It does see to be working now. Suspect that some of the game files had become corrupted during the restore procedure.

Have a new problem now. After I get to the internet my connection is okay for about a minute and then i get page cannot be displayed errors. the 2 tvs are still there in the system tray and I can ping websites...just can't do nowt else.

Means of course that I cannot play multiplayer games....which I usually do. Any suggestions?

My ISP is blaming my security settings on my Mcafee Internet SEcurity Suite 8.0. And Mcafee want me to go on the internet (broadband 2Mb connection by the way) with all of my security measures disabled. They tell me that I should be fine that way for a couple of minutes (yeah right)

Does anyone have any ideas that won't result in me getting either a trojan or a virus? Please note that this only started happening after firaxis support got me to install a parser fix.

Dont go down the Virus route - highly unlikely - near impossible if you run Anti-V. The are a number of multiplayer issues at present, your best bet is to keep an eye on the multiplayer forum, its a bit of a hot topic at the moment.

Regards
Zy

Top Bottom