Capital Location Voting

Aivoturso

King
Less than 36 hours left in turn timer and we're no closer to final decision on where to place our capital. I'm calling the vote now. I'm not trying to assume any authority here nor am I trying to step on any toes. Actually, I'd rather someone else took the responsibility but I just believe we can't afford to postpone the decision any longer. Please post only your votes to this thread. Any justifications and last minute efforts to influence your team mates should be posted to current Strategy thread. In case you don't agree me organizing this vote or with the voting method suggested feel free to disagree in the Constitution thread.

Now to the voting. We haven't yet agreed on the polling method. By the right of the person actually putting up this poll we'll use a preferential voting system and I strongly suggest that the votes will be count with Borda count (the one I've been advocating for a while). Any comments or suggestions on other counting methods to the Constitution thread, please :)

Deadline for the votes is Wednesday 11 July, 19:00 (7 pm) UTC. This is to give enough time to actually find the turn player and to do the move.

So here it is again how this works:

1. Post your votes in a single post. You can vote for as many locations as you like. List the votes in order of preference. Please be unambiguous (SIP, PH and bananas are well known. For other possible locations please give the position relative to the settler location e.g.
2. Regardless the number of votes you give your first option gets 1 point, second 1/2 points, third 1/3 points and so on.
3. Place with most points in the end wins.
4. Feel free to change your vote up till the deadline.

To be fair, let me explain a little quirk with this voting method. There is a small element of tactics involved. Amount of items in your list can influence the outcome. Basically the tactics is that if you support passionately single candidate and do not care about what happens if that's not elected, vote only for that candidate. On the other hand if you see several viable options, vote all of them in order of preference.

1. North Pole
2. PH
3. SIP
4. Bananas

(I felt my vote should count less, therefore North pole)

1. SIP

(Edited away my second vote as I didn't fully grasp the voting system yesterday as I was quite tired. Hope that is not a problem)

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

It took me between 15-20 rough tries, but I came to the following conclution:
What does matter is a good start and we will conquer all tiles round the capitol in time. It seems that bananas gives slightly greater outcome, but we won't know how long it will last.

1. Bananas
2 or SIP ( I weight them equally but prefer Bananas)

(I felt my vote should count less, therefore North pole)
Why should your vote count less? I'd say votes for places we can't see don't count and the others ratchet up a notch. :cool:

1. Bananas

Time is now roughly half past 7pm UTC so it is past the deadline set for the vote. Here are the results. I'd appreciate if someone checked my results since I almost missed one vote.

First the raw votes (excluding one vote for North Pole which I'm counting as disqualified since map is toroidal and north pole does not exist ;)):
SIP Bananas PH
Aivoturso 2 1
Bowsling 1 2
Socralynnek 3 4 2
bcool 3 1 2
YossarianLives 1 2
Caledorn 1
grant2004 1
Arkipeller 2 1
DaveShack 1
cav_scout 1
RegentMan 2 1 3
vranasm 2 1
bistrita 1
Majic 2 1 3
whb 1 2
2metraninja 1

And here is how the votes convert to points including the total:
SIP Bananas PH
Aivoturso 0,5 1 0
Bowsling 1 0 0,5
Socralynnek 0,33 0,25 0,5
bcool 0,33 1 0,5
YossarianLives 0 1 0,5
Caledorn 1 0 0
grant2004 0 1 0
Arkipeller 0,5 1 0
DaveShack 0 1 0
cav_scout 1 0 0
RegentMan 0,5 1 0,33
vranasm 0,5 1 0
bistrita 1 0 0
Majic 0,5 1 0,33
whb 1 0 0,5
2metraninja 1 0 0
TOTAL: 9,17 9,25 3,17

Summary of the results is as follows:
  • Winner of the election by a very narrow margin is Settle on Bananas
  • Total of 16 team members gave their vote.
  • Bananas also got 9 out of 16 first ranks so I believe it would be safe to assume that it'd also be majority winner in the same vote (at least if the votes were counted with Instant-runoff method bananas would also win this vote).

Now I leave it to team to decide if this vote constitutes of the team consensus in sufficient way for our turn player (who?) to base the first turn on. The problem why I won't singlehandedly call this decided is that everyone who has voiced their opinion did not vote possibly due to tight schedule. This way it is possible that the vote is not fully representative.

Time is now roughly half past 7pm UTC so it is past the deadline set for the vote. Here are the results. I'd appreciate if someone checked my results since I almost missed one vote.

First the raw votes (excluding one vote for North Pole which I'm counting as disqualified since map is toroidal and north pole does not exist ;)):
SIP Bananas PH
Aivoturso 2 1
Bowsling 1 2
Socralynnek 3 4 2
bcool 3 1 2
YossarianLives 1 2
Caledorn 1
grant2004 1
Arkipeller 2 1
DaveShack 1
cav_scout 1
RegentMan 2 1 3
vranasm 2 1
bistrita 1
Majic 2 1 3
whb 1 2
2metraninja 1

And here is how the votes convert to points including the total:
SIP Bananas PH
Aivoturso 0,5 1 0
Bowsling 1 0 0,5
Socralynnek 0,33 0,25 0,5
bcool 0,33 1 0,5
YossarianLives 0 1 0,5
Caledorn 1 0 0
grant2004 0 1 0
Arkipeller 0,5 1 0
DaveShack 0 1 0
cav_scout 1 0 0
RegentMan 0,5 1 0,33
vranasm 0,5 1 0
bistrita 1 0 0
Majic 0,5 1 0,33
whb 1 0 0,5
2metraninja 1 0 0
TOTAL: 9,17 9,25 3,17

Summary of the results is as follows:
  • Winner of the election by a very narrow margin is Settle on Bananas
  • Total of 16 team members gave their vote.
  • Bananas also got 9 out of 16 first ranks so I believe it would be safe to assume that it'd also be majority winner in the same vote (at least if the votes were counted with Instant-runoff method bananas would also win this vote).

Now I leave it to team to decide if this vote constitutes of the team consensus in sufficient way for our turn player (who?) to base the first turn on. The problem why I won't singlehandedly call this decided is that everyone who has voiced their opinion did not vote possibly due to tight schedule. This way it is possible that the vote is not fully representative.

The funny thing is that the North-Pole destroyed the vote. If we remove North-pole and say that 2nd place becomes 1st and so on... SIP actually wins

The funny thing is that the North-Pole destroyed the vote. If we remove North-pole and say that 2nd place becomes 1st and so on... SIP actually wins
I checked this too. Actually there would be tie in the points (9.33 for both SIP and Bananas). This however reveals a mistake I did in the setting up the vote. I did not set a tie-breaker. An obvious one would be number of the first places, which would also lead to victory of Bananas. Of course a post-hoc tie-breaker could be contended leading to still being dead locked about the location. Anyhow, I'm inclined to count the votes as they were given with North Pole and all.

Top Bottom