Captured workers able to build unique improvements of the Civ

Cyde042

Chieftain
Not sure where to post suggestions.

I think giving captured workers the ability to built unique improvements of the Civilization it was captured from could give the player an incentive to value going at war with a civ at the cost of a diplomatic hit.

To make it not OP early game, worker's variety of improvements could be tech-locked on captur, so a shoshone worker captured before the required tech to build encapments was researched by Pocatelo wouldn't get it whether or not the player has researched it.

I don't know if it is possible to code it this way though.

What do you think?

It's a lovely idea from a creative standpoint, but it would suddenly make every Civ with a buildable improvement worse. You'd also just game them to steal workers, and the AI would need to want to do the same, understand it.

It's a big bunch of changes for what amounts to a creative idea that doesn't provide as much value as not doing it in my view.

Same is true for capturing a city, and still able to build any special buildings or units.

Not a fan either, unique improvements already suffers from being able to be stolen with citadels and by conquest, they don't really need another weakness.

This feels like the unintended consequence of something else rather than a feature.

This is a very easy solution to do because you could make all improvements buildable by all civilizations, but then restrict those specific improvements to original owner of a unit. (Shoshone Worker but currently owned by Egypt could build an Encampment) via the GameEvents.PlayerCanBuild.

I'd rather see something like this (building other Civ's stuff) as either a unique ability for a Civ or as a high end ideological tenant. Could work possibly for Order having some ability to build UUs, UBs and UIs that belong to the original owner of a city. Freedom could gain one that allows them to do the same for any Civ they are influential towards.

This feels like the unintended consequence of something else rather than a feature.

So, wow. Apologies to the OP. I mis-read his post badly and thought he was reporting that this was happening, not that this was a suggestion.

It sounds interesting and opens up cool strategies for war-mongers. I think this would make a better stand-alone mod than an addition to the CBP.

I think this would make a better stand-alone mod than an addition to the CBP.

Very much agreed. I think this would have a lot of unintended game balance consequences, but MAN it would be cool. Would make an excellent standalone mod!

It's a lovely idea from a creative standpoint, but it would suddenly make every Civ with a buildable improvement worse. You'd also just game them to steal workers, and the AI would need to want to do the same, understand it.

It's a big bunch of changes for what amounts to a creative idea that doesn't provide as much value as not doing it in my view.

Same is true for capturing a city, and still able to build any special buildings or units.

One way to balance it is to restrict the work space to original cities of the Civ it was stolen from. Maybe even add it as an authority finisher as to delay this bonus.

Not a fan either, unique improvements already suffers from being able to be stolen with citadels and by conquest, they don't really need another weakness.

I wouldn't even suggest this if the AI would actually use their workers. Countless cities fell to my armies only to find them with barely any improvements.

I'd rather see something like this (building other Civ's stuff) as either a unique ability for a Civ or as a high end ideological tenant. Could work possibly for Order having some ability to build UUs, UBs and UIs that belong to the original owner of a city. Freedom could gain one that allows them to do the same for any Civ they are influential towards.

Wouldn't the improvements barely have impact if they come so late in play?

This is a very easy solution to do because you could make all improvements buildable by all civilizations, but then restrict those specific improvements to original owner of a unit. (Shoshone Worker but currently owned by Egypt could build an Encampment) via the GameEvents.PlayerCanBuild.

What about tech-locking worker improvements and limiting their workspace to specific city boundaries?

What about tech-locking worker improvements and limiting their workspace to specific city boundaries?

Clarify on specific city boundaries and tech-locking worker improvement.

Can only build after Future Tech and only by replacing GP improvements in the first ring of a city.

Can only build after Future Tech and only by replacing GP improvements in the first ring of a city.

That can be done, although the Future Tech build after may conflict with mods that modify the tech tree.

Clarify on specific city boundaries and tech-locking worker improvement.

If you use EUI, when you hover over the banner of a city, it's boundaries are highlited in an orange color, so captured workers could only work in those boundaries whose original city(so not gained through trading or conquest, only founded) belongs to their specific civ. For example, if I capture an original shoshone city and military theory was researched by them, the captured workers will only be able to build encampments in that city's territory and not mine also. I would imagine that the game would check by what city is the tile owned and who was the founder.

Huns unlock eki's at trade, in order not to exploit early worker stealing, captured workers will only have gained the ability to build eki's if the specific tech was researched by the civ it is being captured from. So if I capture a hunnic worker before Atilla researched trade, it will never gain this ability even if I research trade myself, unless it is gifted back.

Of course most improvements are unlocked quite early and this might not make much of a difference so workers could be guarded by units. On king difficulty and upwards, the Ai has more than enough units to protect their workers.

If you use EUI, when you hover over the banner of a city, it's boundaries are highlited in an orange color, so captured workers could only work in those boundaries whose original city(so not gained through trading or conquest, only founded) belongs to their specific civ. For example, if I capture an original shoshone city and military theory was researched by them, the captured workers will only be able to build encampments in that city's territory and not mine also. I would imagine that the game would check by what city is the tile owned and who was the founder.

Huns unlock eki's at trade, in order not to exploit early worker stealing, captured workers will only have gained the ability to build eki's if the specific tech was researched by the civ it is being captured from. So if I capture a hunnic worker before Atilla researched trade, it will never gain this ability even if I research trade myself, unless it is gifted back.

Of course most improvements are unlocked quite early and this might not make much of a difference so workers could be guarded by units. On king difficulty and upwards, the Ai has more than enough units to protect their workers.

So, basically you want the worker's original owner to only be able to work unique improvements in their conquered city's original owner?

Top Bottom