Carthage 1.0

C_ivil-I-ZATION said:
Hi, I get the following error when trying to load a saved game:

"Mods\C:\Documents and Settings\XXXX\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Mods\Jecrell [Carthage]\is an invalid directory, ignoring"

As a programmer, I can tell you that what you see is an error in the saving or loading routines. One assumes they want the whole path and the other assumes they want just the mod's name. Notice the "Mods\" before the path, the loading routine expected the mod's name.

You will have to move it into the "C:\Program Files\Fraxis\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Mods". Unfortunately, there isn't a known way to save your saved game. :(

Lehawk said:
As a programmer, I can tell you that what you see is an error in the saving or loading routines. One assumes they want the whole path and the other assumes they want just the mod's name. Notice the "Mods\" before the path, the loading routine expected the mod's name.

You will have to move it into the "C:\Program Files\Fraxis\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Mods". Unfortunately, there isn't a known way to save your saved game. :(

Tnx Lehawk. I enjoyed the game while it lasted. I may look again if I can play your mod and save and load it.

C_ivil-I-ZATION said:
Tnx Lehawk. I enjoyed the game while it lasted. I may look again if I can play your mod and save and load it.

If you put the mod in that folder you can save and load fine. It's just that the old save can't be recovered. That is what I meant.

Jecrell - I got it working perfectly now. As a complete baffoon I completely missed the entire Art folder that goes in the Assets folder. I grabbed the Art folder in the XML folder and that obviously wasn't enough. Thanks for the patience.... :)

I'd like to personally apologize to anyone that got their saves messed up due to the mod being placed in the My Documents folder. I changed the installation route to the basic Sid Meier's Civilization 4 folder to keep these problems from reoccuring.

woodelf said:
Jecrell - I got it working perfectly now. As a complete baffoon I completely missed the entire Art folder that goes in the Assets folder. I grabbed the Art folder in the XML folder and that obviously wasn't enough. Thanks for the patience.... :)

Hey no problem -- these kinds of mistakes are expected. I could have given specific instructions but I knew you would figure things out.

I'll also have an update to the mod up shortly.

Just when I thought I had everything running perfectly.....I start a random game and end up Asoka, no problem. Eventually I find a Hannibal and then 3 turns later find another Hannibal! One in yellow and one in brown civ color. Wierd, very wierd. Any possible idea what could be causing this? I don't know how I could have caused this. ;) Hell, I don't what could cause this.

woodelf said:
Just when I thought I had everything running perfectly.....I start a random game and end up Asoka, no problem. Eventually I find a Hannibal and then 3 turns later find another Hannibal! One in yellow and one in brown civ color. Wierd, very wierd. Any possible idea what could be causing this? I don't know how I could have caused this. ;) Hell, I don't what could cause this.
It could be that Hannibal is referenced twice somewhere. I have not experienced this in my own mod however. Although Hannibal seems to show up quite commonly on maps I play (I think the game favors custom civs?).

I just tried out Install Creator and it was really easy to use. Though you have to put up with a message at the end saying that it wasn't registered, but still it worked great.

BTW, the location can be found in the registry at:

Rootkey:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
Key:SOFTWARE\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4
SubKey:INSTALLDIR

Works great, but you have to create a directory structure specially for the installer (Since it includes all files in a directory). Just "Mod", no biggie.

Carthage Mod is now at 1.2, I need feedback on how the installer works for everyone and if you like the changes or not. :)

Lehawk said:
D'oh, v1.2 is still set for single player only! Is it intentional?
Currently the mod isn't set up to be multiplayer for no other reason than I have no idea what would happen if multiplayer was enabled for the mod to begin with.

Also, if you really want to turn multiplayer on I'm sure you could go into the Jecrell [Carthage].ini and turn it on. It's just not prepackaged since Civ4 multiplayer, as far as I know, is vanilla (original) only. If you'd like to test multiplayer I'd like to hear the results since my modding has been singleplayer minded thus far.

EDIT
GAH!!!!!!!
Hetshepsut is Hannibal!! =O

Alrighty then -- I got it fixed up. And tested to see if Multiplayer crashed -- thankfully it doesn't -- I'm going to leave it open for people with the mod to play with it online if they wish. Up for a game LeHawk? :)

I just started my own, actually. It seems to work, but I didn't see your map.

I'll keep refreshing for a few minutes, but I still don't see yours.

Lehawk said:
Well I've been trying to see your map by refreshing but I got nothing on the list yet.
Actually I can't host (Gamespy protocols go against my ports). But if you can I could join your game.

(We couldn't test it -- we have firewalls)

Gaddow said:
I found out the hard way that you need to put the mods in the mod directory where the game is installed not in the one in your my documents area.

Thanks works a treat now

The download link doesn't seem to work! All I get is cannot find server message. How Can I try this mod if it will not download. :cry: :(

David Smith said:
The download link doesn't seem to work! All I get is cannot find server message. How Can I try this mod if it will not download. :cry: :(
Wow it looks like the entire uploads directory is offline.
I'll get a mirrior up.

(2 mirriors up)

Jecrell said:
Also, Carthage is defined as "England" in the Greek World mod's XML files; even stranger, Hannibal takes the role of Victoria. :)

In Greek World I didn't alter XML titles, but just the inner content, and replaced names later, in the text XML.
So, England is renamed Greek City-States, and Victoria is renamed Perikles, but Perikles has Victoria's mindset.

Top Bottom