Catapults

Are Catapults good?

• They are great!

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • Uh, catapults? Never build them...

Votes: 11 47.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
are cats improved with towers? iirc, ranged units were improved with towers, wondering if siege units too.
I'll check it out.... I doubt it will help ... I imagine what is happening with towers is it is ignoring the ranged penalty. Cats have no such penalty

I saw a few things in this thread which jive with my experience. Rams are fantastic and should be acquired ASAP if enemy walls are up. One usually has enough gold (265) to buy your first one and producing another two or three isn't a bit deal, even in new cities. Rotating melee units in and out of a spot adjacent to walls with a ram knocks those walls down fast. At that point one may take a city at one's leisure (though faster is always better of course). I find rams remain useful all the way up till the information age (when the movement of mechanized infantry is superior to the added wall damage of hauling along a slow ram). I'm not a diety vet but i regularly play emperor/immortal for leisure. Also, thank you for all the smart posts regular posters. I have read and tried/adopted lots of things from this forum into my game. Cats are cool, but only use them if you have multiple to move into enemy bombardment range in the same turn. Accept that one of them will remain ineffective (get smoked*) while the other two do the lord's work. The chessboard demands a few pawns... and its cool. If you keep your cannon fodder alive they will pay off with nice promotions later in the game. GET rams for sure. GET cats if you can afford them in multiples. Expect one or two to not really do anything.

....but they are vulnerable to wall fire which targets them and 3 upgrades as cats is tricky. I use cats because I want to upgrade them so they get to L4 faster as artillery. I'll take down a wall early then get my cat in there for some garrison XP.
The light cav promotion is also mighty fine
Bottom line is that, you should not need field artillery replacement, you would like a better bombard... but it's not necessary.
Do you play them much? 3 seems an excessive waste of production and they do take up a tile, they are quite lumpy.

Infantry corps with RAM... or in my case redcoat corp with RAM suits me just fine, army great. I never seem to get a tower up there but I guess I could just buy one.

I delete both rams and siege towers when they're no longer available to produce, I feel like they're a broken aspect of the game past that point and should self destruct automatically
(at no point in history did a Tank climb up a siege tower or get behind a battering ram it IS the battering ram.)

I'm sure I'll be criticized for that opinion but it's simply my way of playing.

Catapults: I build between 3-6 in the lull between timing pushes usually but the exact number produced will depend on my cities production and whether or not I got a militaristic city state, after that I purchase between 5-10 of them with Faith then I get Theocracy for upgrading my experienced ones to Corps/Armies.

I'm sure I'll be criticized for that opinion but it's simply my way of playing
lol, I keep my rams but tend not to do other things ... its funny how we all have contrary views
It sounds like you have a zillion units... thats one way to keep the apostles at bay.

I like to have a standing military of around 12-15 units: 3 melee, 3 heavy cavalry, 3 light cavalry, 3 ranged, 3 siege (along with support units to back them up such as Apostles with the Chaplain promotion/a medic/military engineers/support siege)

However I DO build 1 scout to sit in every single city to utilize the Civic Card Retainers. It's actually these scouts which I use to keep at bay the masses of religious units

I delete both rams and siege towers when they're no longer available to produce, I feel like they're a broken aspect of the game past that point and should self destruct automatically
(at no point in history did a Tank climb up a siege tower or get behind a battering ram it IS the battering ram.)

Well yes, they shouldn't work later on anymore. & helicopters should fly over water. There are some such issues.

when unknown city-states are defeated and you are given the notification, that counts as meeting them and explains the political philosophy boosts

Yes, someone mentioned this in the comments of the last game I uploaded (the Australian one on an island map). I wish the interface mentioned this, it's so not user-friendly sometimes. Anyway, thanks for the info!

i caught the first few episodes of your Persia game last night, talk about a nail-biter.

Funny enough... [spoiler alert I guess, though not a major thing] ...this is the game I was referring to in a previous comment here, regarding the knight attack in which the AI suddenly got AT crews and I had to make peace. The attack still served its purpose though :)

Top Bottom