Caveman 2 Cosmos

I play huge/snail/noble.

Yes when I move the stack of 20-30 units needed for the new city outside my borders on the way to the place I am settling them my income goes negative, but not by much -10 or -20 at most.

I build 4-5 cities before I build the fire related golden age giving wonder. Then I don't build any cities until I have the Great Bath.

I play huge/snail/noble.

Yes when I move the stack of 20-30 units needed for the new city outside my borders on the way to the place I am settling them my income goes negative, but not by much -10 or -20 at most.

I build 4-5 cities before I build the fire related golden age giving wonder. Then I don't build any cities until I have the Great Bath.
Gold is very easy to get with those settings in 38.5. I have 2 cities, over 6000 gold and a 100% research rate. I'm am getting 25 gold per turn right now and could easily be getting more if I wanted to.

Too much gold on Noble difficulty is one thing, I don't know how the checks and balances was for that difficulty before v38 (never played it much), but I do remember the "too much gold" problem being an issue on Deity difficulty going back at least 6 years of C2C. I'm pretty sure gold is tighter on the top 4 difficulties now in v38 (& 38.5) than what it was in v37 even though subdued animals no longer cost upkeep.

Too much gold on Noble difficulty is one thing, I don't know how the checks and balances was for that difficulty before v38 (never played it much), but I do remember the "too much gold" problem being an issue on Deity difficulty going back at least 6 years of C2C. I'm pretty sure gold is tighter on the top 4 difficulties now in v38 (& 38.5) than what it was in v37 even though subdued animals no longer cost upkeep.
With v37 subdued animals did have a cost. I had to scrap them to keep in the positive and could only keep about 100-200 on hand at any time. I always had problems getting gold in v36 and v37. Since v38 I have had no troubles with gold at all and can keep thousands of subdued animals.

BtW I was watching an educational series on how voting in a democracy works, comparing win charts for games and win charts for election lead up and why they are not the same. The relevant part was that in a democracy the lead up to the election has built in Win for Losing effects just because of the way democracy works. What was interesting to me was that the Australian and totally different New Zealand systems of voting and vote counting are designed to reduce one or two of these Win for Loosing loopholes.;)

With how many AIs are you playing?
Playing a team game with my wife. Probably some 12 or so AIs. Can't quite recall.
Too much gold on Noble difficulty is one thing,
That's right, I'm not looking for gold to be tough until at least a couple of difficulty levels higher than that but apparently the AI thinks it challenging enough at Noble.

Playing on Prince. 7 cities at Sedentary Lefstyle and plus 30 gold without any particular effort
That's an outstanding spread rate to be at 7 cities by sed lifestyle, depending on the game speed. What game speed are you on? As for gold, I'm sure if you went up a notch or two in difficulty you'd see a different story there but that strikes me as about right for prince.

It took a little while, but in my newest noble difficulty game the AI is founding cities. Very nice to see it. I have just passed sedentary lifestyle and have 5 cities of my own. The AI is doing better in other ways too. I see one of them has 5 defensive units in its city which gave me a nasty surprise when I declared war. It looks like the very easy early wars may be a thing of the past, at least against some civs. Good work guys.

That's an outstanding spread rate to be at 7 cities by sed lifestyle, depending on the game speed. What game speed are you on? As for gold, I'm sure if you went up a notch or two in difficulty you'd see a different story there but that strikes me as about right for prince.

Eons, I guess i would normally have 3 or 4 but the gold just kept coming in.... I just don't feel the hit that used to happen after founding a city,

I actually normally play Prince or a but lower and gold did prevent me from expanding.

The AI around me has 4 max which is fine

This is playing much different from ver37. The AI is defending their cities much better and actually sending out ambushers to attack me. One of them took a city from me. The AI ambushers are also knocking out my hunters too. I have lost at least 3 of them to Isabella's ambushers. They are also aggressive in taking workers out too. Both AI civs I know about have multiple cities now, with 1 of them having 6 cities. Gold on noble difficulty is very easy to get though, and I have 20000 gp right now and getting 90+ each turn and a 100% research rate. I just got copper working so I am still early in the game. This one promises to be very fun indeed. I am really looking forward to finding the other 2 continents on the map and finding out what may be happening on them.

This is a noble difficulty, snail speed, and huge map game using planet_generator_68.

Hi, I was playing with your mod and got pretty far in it (due to playing on normal speed, which I at the time didn't know would be so fast) and I reached the point where I gained access to satellites. But once I did, my game gave an error saying that it couldn't compress the save. Now, when trying to load it back up, the game immediately crashes to the desktop. Also, the satellites didn't seem to be able to do anything for some reason when building them (I was still playing after the error occurred). I've included my save in case you need it.

Attachments

• 1.CivBeyondSwordSave
    1.6 MB · Views: 153
Hi, I was playing with your mod and got pretty far in it (due to playing on normal speed, which I at the time didn't know would be so fast) and I reached the point where I gained access to satellites. But once I did, my game gave an error saying that it couldn't compress the save. Now, when trying to load it back up, the game immediately crashes to the desktop. Also, the satellites didn't seem to be able to do anything for some reason when building them (I was still playing after the error occurred). I've included my save in case you need it.
Random save corruption happened.
Essentially this save is wreck now.

Probably you were very close to MAF, when you saved game.
Load previous autosave.

Satellite is space unit - it is useless, if you aren't playing on spacemap

Mod is currently unbalanced in relation to calendar - on Normal you should be in ~1000th +- ~100 turns during Modern era.

Maybe it would be more popular to suggest that the AI should play settler difficulty and that the "settler" handicap should be the point where Human and AI are on equal footing?
I would probably be alright with that.
If no one object to it then I'll implement the change in 10-20 days.
It's been 4 days, little feedback.

DH objected that it would break with tradition.
And confuse veteran Civ (any version) players even more. Noble has been the standard "level playing field" over all versions of Civ.
I'm not sure this on its own is adequate protest for me to call off the suggested change, unless many others share DH's qualm about it.

Counter opinion for the record:
DH, a brief amount of confusion for c2c newbies is, IMO, a much lesser evil than a group of multiple difficulty selections that are not competitive to even the most casual player. Additionally, as I've said before, this mod does not cater to that type of player anyway.

Strongly suspect a save corruption took place due to a MAF during save. You should have some autosaves. Go back a few rounds and once you're about to get satellites again, save just before ending the turn. If it has problems again, then its replicable and I can possible figure out what's going wrong and fix it with THAT save. This one probably isn't going to be as helpful.

Random save corruption happened.
Essentially this save is wreck now.

Probably you were very close to MAF, when you saved game.
Load previous autosave.

Satellite is space unit - it is useless, if you aren't playing on spacemap

Mod is currently unbalanced in relation to calendar - on Normal you should be in ~1000th +- ~100 turns during Modern era.
Thanks. I'll check to see what happens if I load my autosave. Also, I didn't see spacemap in the custom game options. How do I set it up?

As a general response to MAFs or other performance failures, I'll reload from a recent autosave (but usually not the one immediately prior to the failure - I back up a few turns), and then save the game every turn or two for the next several. Most of the time, reloading from the autosave gets me past the issue, and when it doesn't, the plurality of new saves can be helpful in locating the problem.

One additional suggestion for dealing with a suspected MAF: either reboot your system, or run some form of memory cleaner software (CleanMem works reasonably well, and it's freeware). If the issue is memory allocation or something similar, this will help reduce the chances of a repeat considerably. If you've done something like this and you still have a CTD at or around the same point, chances are there's something else going on - it isn't a guarantee, but it is a strong indicator.

Thanks. I'll check to see what happens if I load my autosave. Also, I didn't see spacemap in the custom game options. How do I set it up?
It isn't in custom game options.

Space maps are custom maps - there are currently two, that come with this mod - my space map without AIs and TPEHEP space map.
Instead of Custom Game you choose Custom Scenario, and then you select premade map.

Top Bottom