Celts?

How should the Celts be set up?

• As overall Celtic culture, spreading across north/west Europe

Votes: 11 31.4%
  • As Gaul roughly under Vercengetorix

Votes: 21 60.0%
  • As a smaller, more specific grouping or tribe, like the Senones or Celtiberians

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Other - post in comments!

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Arkaeyn

King
The "Celts" are a somewhat problematic historical construction. As a somewhat linked culture, they existed all across northern and western Europe - Iberia, Gaul, Switzerland, Northern Italy, and Britain. Politically, however, they were never united in any way close to a "civilization."

As currently constructed, they roughly represent Gaul, which was at least once roughly unified under Vercengitorix, though of course they can spread.

I follow some of the Rome Total War mods still under creation, and most of the most historical of those tend to avoid "Celts" or "Gauls" as constructs, preferring instead individual tribes or smaller geographic confederacies.

We have a choice with this mod, though. How should we use the "Celts?"

I voted for the overall Celtic cultural group since a civilization doesn't have to be politically united, and the strongest link that makes several political groups be considered a "civilization" is their culture.

Limit them to Gaul.
If you're introducing Celtic Polytheism, use that to signal cultural influence elsewhere.

I'd like them to present the Celtic tribes as a whole, which would mean that they effectively settle the West-European land that would otherwise be empty. That would mean that they settle anywhere between north Iberia (Carthage takes south Iberia) and the German tribes.

If the Celts were unified, they would have been a stronger threat to Rome. That's why I vote for the Gauls

I think you should have a playable Gaul tribe. These would have Celtic Culture. As well as this there could be barbarian cities spread throughout Europe in apropriate places also with celtic culture. This would give the Romans something to conquer, and would also allow for one tribe (the playable Gauls) to unite the tribes to fight the Romans in alternate situations. Some areas would remain uncontrolled by the Gaul tribe or barbarians, giving some space for settling new cities.

Only one tribe would need to be playable, but it should be a specific tribe and not just vaguely named ''Gauls'' or ''Celts''

Gauls, since they were the most..umm..known part of the Celtic civilization (and Asterix has played a role in that :p)

It would be anachronistic. A Paul Pierce or Kevin Garnett (even Rajon Rondo) would be more suitable for this era. :D

or why not use Brennus' leaderhead but he is renamed on vercingetorix ??

and an other leaderhead when Gaulle is a province of roma

Yeah for asterix and obelix. Let's make celts only in gaull. The rest should be barbarians, independants or natives.

I agree with Perceval. Gaul deserves to be represented in RFC somehow importantly.

And I suppose the Celtic cross is going to replace the Monument?

I think that mediocre-strong independent settlements would show germanic tribes quite nicely in terms of gameplay. I don't see a need of a special civilization for them (especially considering the fact that there was not a single rule, they lived in chiefdom and didn't form a big civilization), however I see why people like Gauls :). There was a lot of Rome-Gauls military campaigns, so Gauls may be represented, at least to give some threat and interest to Rome conquests.

Hello there,

I'm so glad to see that RFC Greek World is now a reality. I really want to play celts, and I see them through two possibilities :
- As a playable Gaul.
- Playable as celt in whole Europe... but with small towns isolated from each other to demonstrate their disunity. Maybe with a malus in stability since the beginning ? Sounds fair.

Divide them into two: Gauls and Galatians! The latter sacked Delphi and settled in Anatolia, from where they raided their hellenistic neighbours.

Top Bottom