Challenge game threads

Well the thing about a Challenge with a set up save game is the possibility to compare each others progressing of the game under the exact same circumstances.
So its basically about the strategy which work best and the ppl here often discuss the optimal (ab)use of the starting location which is a discussion about strategy and tips who to achieve things faster

It would make sense to have a sticky thread with all the links to the challenges.

The challenges belong here but they should be better organized, with some sticky threads or a sub-forum specific to them. I have trouble with finding some of the earlier challenges :(

There's certainly been a lot of them here lately.

I think the crowd that frequents this forum enjoys them. I would not be opposed to putting them in a separate place though.

I haven't played any of them *yet*, hopefully soon but I enjoy reading them and each persons strategy. I try to glean anything I can from the top players to improve my game.

I enjoy the screen shots and the back and forth discussions.

I wouldn't be opposed to it being a sub-forum of Strategy and Tips, as it is all strategy and tips IMO.

I guess if there was a sub-forum it would better organize them for easy reference.

a week or two ago i posted the idea of placing these in a subforum here in S&T in the Ideas and Suggestions thread but it got no hits/interest. One of the mods probably should create a subforum, not just to gather them for the people not wanting to dig through pages to find older ones but also to clear any clutter from the main S&T section.

we definatly need another "how do I do a cultural victory thread" instead the challnge ones.

Honestly every question in this forum been anserwed 100 times with 1000 different opinions, so discussing real strategies instead dull question from lazy posters (who dont use search function) cant be something bad

we definatly need another "how do I do a cultural victory thread" instead the challnge ones.

Honestly every question in this forum been anserwed 100 times with 1000 different opinions, so discussing real strategies instead dull question from lazy posters (who dont use search function) cant be something bad

I'm not sure I compelty understand your post , but I'd rather read new posts asking the same old questions than have no activity on these boards at all. The same old threads from months ago are stagnant and who says the ideas in those threads are the right ones to begin with?

The challenge threads are just another way to present ideas about strategy while leveraging the collective minds of the best players on these forums. Right now, I am very interested in Pre-industrial Culture victories.

I'd say if the regular threads were getting ignored it would be a problem, but doesn't seem to be the case. A sub-forum may help organize, but I think too many sub-forums and it gets too fragmented. I haven't been following the challenges as closely as some folk, but it seems like it is getting players to attempt higher difficulties than they are used to, which seems like an effective way to discuss strategy and tips.

I'd say if the regular threads were getting ignored it would be a problem, but doesn't seem to be the case. A sub-forum may help organize, but I think too many sub-forums and it gets too fragmented. I haven't been following the challenges as closely as some folk, but it seems like it is getting players to attempt higher difficulties than they are used to, which seems like an effective way to discuss strategy and tips.

i think S&T only has one sub-forum (War Academy) but yes, too many would be an issue. These challenges are nice for the people who arent necessarily ready for Immortal/Deity but are willing to give them a shot. There's also no real commitment. No rankings/medals/submission method, just discussion on it. They could be a player's gateway into GotM and maybe HoF after making informal comparisons. (GotM already has no real commitment but just the presence of its own subforum and rules/faq's could be intimidating enough for some to not even look at it.)

for me the best reason is for finding older ones with ease. so far they have followed a basic naming convention for each thread but they could also be lost in a sea of other threads and pushed beyond the first page (which most people dont go past).

a week or two ago i posted the idea of placing these in a subforum here in S&T in the Ideas and Suggestions thread but it got no hits/interest. One of the mods probably should create a subforum, not just to gather them for the people not wanting to dig through pages to find older ones but also to clear any clutter from the main S&T section.

It's because most S&T readers read nearly strictly S&T. At least from personnal experience and what people were discussing in vanilla...there would be a few black sheep waving at MP forums as well as S&T that's about it.

Nonetheless good idea. I have also been hoping for/contemplating a "good deity start location" repository. Like a growing thread where people dump save/initial SS/some minor comments on why the map was fun/easy/challenging/whatever they deem relevant.

(read I am sick of randomizing map for hours for a paccacuti godmode petra start for kicks and giggles)

It's because most S&T readers read nearly strictly S&T. At least from personnal experience and what people were discussing in vanilla...there would be a few black sheep waving at MP forums as well as S&T that's about it.

Nonetheless good idea. I have also been hoping for/contemplating a "good deity start location" repository. Like a growing thread where people dump save/initial SS/some minor comments on why the map was fun/easy/challenging/whatever they deem relevant.

(read I am sick of randomizing map for hours for a paccacuti godmode petra start for kicks and giggles)

I second that. Great idea! (right now I'm rerolling maps for a while until I get a desert start with William, challenging myself to get a 60-pop capital rofl - and yes I disabled starting bias :p)

I also like the idea of a subforum under S&T for challenge games.

Top Bottom