Change had to come.

toccoto

Chieftain
You know, I've stayed silent on the whole is it or isn't it good... Because I didn't know. I think I finally have a solid opinion of my belief.

Civ V is a foundation.

It's like Beaurocracy.... The main problem with it is it adds... adds... adds and never trims. So it's expensive, convoluted. Within the mass are great things.. good policies, and what not. That is Civ 4.. Civ 4 is the Culmination of the Beaurocracy that is Civ 1-4. So naturally it's going to be the most complete... however.. it's also incredibly archaic compared to most strategy games that even came out when it was released. Well done? Yes. But Archaic, and based off of old models.

Civ V HAD to happed. Does it seem stripped down? Yes. Because frankly it is. But it's stripped down and rebuilt into a new model for the game to build off. And honestly, when I look at it that way? I really like it.

I like the Hexs. I love the 1UPT. I love the Black Box Diplomacy Style that isn't dumbed down to 'If I do this, they will do this'. I love the LArger emphasis on Enviornment in battle.

Literally, they created an amazing model. But it's a foundation.

The sad part is it's going to take t ime to be great again. Months? Most probably. Years? Perhaps. PEerhaps even into Civ 6 and Civ 7. Who knows. Will the Series last that long? Never know.

All I know is, while we have to deal with a lot of problems now. Because they made the step to create a new foundation i nstead of just stacking on top of an already teetering building, the game is going to be better in the long run.

It's kind of like unrest during a civic change in Civ 4. Sadly we have to deal with that period of unrest before things get better :(

So we have a civil unrest on the forums.. we need more happy faces. They got enough gold, so probaly they gonna spend gold on making it great (at least in my dreams).

My first Civ was Civ 3 and I felt that way about Civ 4 when it came out and it turned out to be much better after a few patches and two expansions.

We don't have any form of espionage and I have to believe that it is planned for a future expansion.

I have been let down a little bit by Civ 5 but it's not terrible and I feel confident that it will get better.

Top Bottom