Chess game for beginners?

GlobularFoody

Warlord
Is there a chess game that exists that can be played by a beginner? I've tried a few and I keep getting ruthlessly beaten down by the AI even on the lowest levels.

Not really, but for training purposes you could start with a game where only Kings and Pawns are present at the first move and a Pawn promotes to Rook when it reaches eighth rank I think I saw this in a book I read a long time ago.

I don't think practicing a King and pawns endgame will help you that much if you are a beginner. If you are losing against the computer on the lowest level you should probably look to improve rather than look for an easier program. It's hard to tell you exactly what to do with no information. Do you know the relative values of the pieces? How much time do you spend thinking about your moves, are we talking 1-minute games here or 1-hour games?

I would give you the general advice to spend at least a minute or so per move and try to determine if it is a safe move; think to yourself "after I make the move, can the computer just capture this piece for free?" If you can avoid giving pieces away for nothing most of the time you should be able to beat the computer on the lowest setting almost every time.

The best thing you could do is probably to get someone more experienced to play a few games with you explaining what you are doing right or wrong as you go.

Top Bottom