Christopher Tin doing the Civ 6 Theme Music

No former CivWorld players here?
"Sukla-krsne" was the music for the Russian civ. I can't remember the others, but the music for Rome was also good.

Not original score, and I liked Baba Yetu just fine, but the piece that for me is just Civ-perfect is Dvorak's Symphony #9. Not as the title theme mind you but please be in there somewhere.

Well, iirc, in Civ V, it is Dvorak's piece when you use him to créate a great work. However, you get only to hear a very small excerpt ;)

I've looked through the thread and don't see any person who heard another song of Christopher Tin :lol:

Just listened some of his music for Offworld Trading Company. Good, but nothing even distantly as cool as Baba Yetu, quite regular game music. Making 1 masterpiece doesn't mean there will be more.

Actually, I have his two albums-Calling All Dawns and The Drop that Contained the Ocean-& his music is *magnificent*!

All the Civ IV old timers returning to Civ VI. Christopher Tin, Sulla, Victoria and me.

Such vitriol against Terra Nova! I quite like it myself, although it certainly comes below Baba Yetu and Al Nadda in my estimation.

I'd agree in preferring Calling All Dawns. It feels like more of a continuous song cycle, and Sukla-Krsne sends shivers up my spine every time.

The Drop... is still excellent though, and features the majestic Mystère des voix bulgares on one of the songs. My highlight from that album is Haktan Gelen Şerbeti.

But yes all this makes me very optimistic for Civ VI's score!
For me "Temen Oblak," "Iza Ngomso," "Wayolo Yamoni," and "Tsas Narand Uyarna" are the highlights of The Drop that Contained the Sea. "Temen Oblak" gives me chills--and reminds me distinctly of Jack Wall's main theme from Myst IV.

No former CivWorld players here?
"Sukla-krsne" was the music for the Russian civ. I can't remember the others, but the music for Rome was also good.
Russia's theme music was a song in Sanskrit? That makes perfect sense. :crazyeye: :lol:

I'm actually playing in the York and Harrogate concerts this weekend - can't wait! Sadly I doubt I'll get a preview of the Civ 6 theme...

These are amazing news! :) To me, Civilization IV's main menu was a sight to behold and a marvel to listen to - and allowing the player to choose which style of menu they wanted in Civ4 BtS was a great idea!

Civilization V's menu always seemed lackluster in comparison. In terms of visuals, nothing really came close to seeing the sun rise "upon the sleeping earth" - the original probably being the best, but not even close to Civ 4's. In terms of music, the original theme was really lackluster, and while G+K and BNW had better music themes (both of which I enjoy a lot), their main menu visuals were even weaker. It doesn't really fit a game about driving humankind from humble beginnings to the space age to have a castle and some random dude no one was even sure who he was, or a dirty factory.
And not having the choice of changing it back was also a bit of a disappointment. But I guess the menu isn't that big of a deal.

I am excited to hear (and see) what comes out of this! :D
Meanwhile, I feel compelled to share this:

Link to video.

Baba yetu was crap.

*hides under the table*

I am a fan of Christopher Tin's works. I've listened to his four albums (Calling all dawns, The drop that contained the sea, the Offworld Trading Company soundtrack and the Stereo Alchemy work) and I really like what he does. But I'm afraid sometimes he indulges in too many bombastic tunes that are bombastic just for the sake of it. "Water prelude", "Kia hora te marino" and "Waloyo yamoni" come to mind.

I think the main theme needs to be not as bland and timid as Civ V's was, but also not too explosive, because you'll want to turn it off after a few listens. Anyway, as I said before I'm a fan, so I'm eager to know the new theme song :D

Well I might hate Baba Yeti (and its not just me!) but Im really hoping for much MORE music this time round. For instance, I am currently finishing off a Civ V Persian game and jeez....the Persian music is very good but it just doesn't last long. Its on constant repeat and there is never any change.

I just hope we get much more music this time round, perhaps incorporating all the Civ music before it too? Maybe an option to select the old tracks if you want them etc? Why not? It wont take much space!

Well I might hate Baba Yeti (and its not just me!) but Im really hoping for much MORE music this time round. For instance, I am currently finishing off a Civ V Persian game and jeez....the Persian music is very good but it just doesn't last long. Its on constant repeat and there is never any change.

I just hope we get much more music this time round, perhaps incorporating all the Civ music before it too? Maybe an option to select the old tracks if you want them etc? Why not? It wont take much space!

yes PLEASE this. Civ3 and 4 had some awesome background tracks (of course civ4 had actual classical musick in the rennaisance and industrial eras so its bound to be good ;) (it can stand the test of time...))

From Christopher Tin's Facebook:

Wanna know where I got the Italian lyrics for the new Civ VI theme? They're from the Leonardo da Vinci quote that Leonard Nimoy recites when you discover Flight as a technology in Civ IV: "For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Neat huh? Spread the word! (Somebody tell r/civ!)

https://youtu.be/lCykB4mCytE?t=5m46s

Also from the same page:

My new Civ VI theme “Sogno di Volare” is Italian for “The Dream of Flight”. It’s a saying of Leonardo da Vinci’s writings on flight, including his most favorite quote: "For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return”.
I’ll be conducting the world premier of "Sogno di Volare" this coming Tuesday in my big concert with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra. We’ll also be performing "Baba Yetu", selections from Calling All Dawns, The Drop That Contained the Sea in its entirety, AND excerpts from my forthcoming album about birds. It’s a concert you won’t wanna miss!
(emphasis mine)

Holy...- already?! Tomorrow Next week the new theme for Civilization VI will be performed live for the first time?! :eek:
Man now I wanna see this concert! :(

EDIT: Pffffft :p Oops, wrong day of the week.

Top Bottom