Chronicles of Adea - fantasy mod development thread

I loved to contribute with more ideas for UB/UI/UU!
But could you update(or expand upon) the lore of each civ, so it would be easier to come up with ideas that fits the different themes.

One question I have is about the Lemuria.
Are they like "all animal life is sacred and must be protected at all cost" types or more like "jungle law, the strong and powerful have any right to subjugate the weak" types?, in which case the, in game, hunting of deer and sea animals would not bother them a bit.

Here is my attempt to write more comprehensive descriptions for the civs, although I'm afraid it can still be insufficient amount of information for you, as I don't have all the details about their lore in mind. If something is unclear to you, ask more questions :) Also you can propose your own ideas about the lore.

I added some information about the government structure of the civs, of course it doesn't mean that it's fully developed from the start of the game, it should evolve over time (I'm going to use Unique Policies to represent this).

Dreamers

As the name suggests, they dream of things like discovering new lands, inventing new things, and gaining more power. And they take steps to make their dreams come true.

The defining elements of this civ are the following:
  • focus on exploration and territorial expansion (although they won't be able to found a lot of cities, due to the limitations mentioned in my previous post; by territorial expansion I mean things like the reduced cost of buying tiles)
  • strong navy
  • technological advancements unavailable to most other civs - gunpowder units, Air Galleys

Not focused on magic or religion.

Republican government, perhaps similar to the merchant republics like Venice.

Griffites

Something like the Rohirrim in LotR - honorable warriors, focused on mounted units. Good at breeding horses and other types of animals, hence the bonus yields from pastures.

Their bond with the Griffins is important for them - it's their symbol, the origin of their name, and they can summon them.

Monarchy with a feudal structure, like the kingdoms of medieval Europe.

Archons

Something like the Roman Empire, with strong (christian like) religious focus. They go on crusades against their religious enemies (like the Bannor in FFH).

They are arrogant, and think of themselves as better than other civs, due to being descendants of some ancient race that survived the great cataclysm (although it doesn't have to be true).

Imperial government, like the Roman Empire.

Vodniks

Based on Slavic mythology - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vodnik_(mythology)

Highly mysterious and magical civ. Their power comes from bodies of fresh water (rivers, lakes, marshes). They are isolationist, and don't like to share their secrets with other civs.

I have no idea about their government system.

Snobar

Viking-like civ, with strong focus on tundra/snow terrain, and on amphibious invasions. Good warriors and hunters.

They should have a unique improvement that can be built on snow. I don't know yet what it will be, so ideas are welcome.

Government: clan structure.

Azracs

A desert civ, based on real world peoples like Egyptians and Arabs, and on fictional peoples like Haradrim from LotR, Malakim from FFH, and Azracs from Age of Wonders I.

Focused on trade (mostly on land, by caravans), and religion. Can also be associated with some magical creatures, like Djinns (if there is ever a unit model for them...)

Government: empire.

Lemuria

Jungle-based civ, resembling the real world peoples living in these areas. The government structure is a federation of tribes.

About your question: It should be close to the "jungle law" version (the Elves are closer to the "sacred life" idea, although they do hunt for food). Some animals can be sacred for Lemuria though - like the black panther that is used as their symbol. When appropriate unit models become available, I'll make them able to "summon" some types of animals (using the faith purchase mechanic).

Elves

Typical LotR-like Elves. Nature lovers, living in forests, good archers. Also not bad at things like culture and magic.

Government: kingdom.

Dwarves

As above - a stereotypical vision of this race. Good at mining, metal working etc.

Government: kingdom.

Orcs

Another typical race from fantasy fiction. Aggressive. Good warriors, bad thinkers ;)

Like in FFH, many of the barbarian units in the game will be Orcs too. So the Orc civ (Red Horde) is the more organized form of them, that can "unite" the smaller tribes by force, which is represented in the game by getting units from cleared barbarian camps. There is also a minor civ* called Black Horde, which is another faction of the Orcs.

*minor civs are similar to City States in normal game, but can have multiple cities.

Government: horde.

Demon Cultists

Cult of a great demon, who is the leader of the civ. The cultists are humans, but are getting special random promotions due to "demonic mutations". They are able to summon some minor demons, and perhaps (this idea just came into my mind) their leader himself, as a very powerful single unit in the endgame.

Government: religious sect.

Death Cultists

Cult of the God of Death, led by necromancers. They are getting Mana for killing their enemies, and can spend it to summon Undead units.

Government: religious sect.

I also have some more civs in mind that will be added later, but for now I concentrate on the above 12.

I've been a bit preoccupied with homework lately, but I did came up with a couple of ideas.

Orcs: UB - "Goblin slums", might replace some more "civilized" building. Goblin breeds like vermins +:c5food: and they are easily exploited +:c5production: , but they steal and cause troubles in general - :c5gold: .

Dwarfs: UB - "Gnomish quarter". They invent useful contraptions + :c5science: +:c5production: , but they need a lot of materials for their experiments - :c5gold:

I had this idea that when Archon units are garrisoned they generate mana, as they are praying to their god(s). Just like the honor policy in vanilla that allows garrisoned units to generate culture. This feature could also be giving to the demon cult and the undead faction, except that they would be praying/sacrificing to their dark gods instead.

I also thought that some of, if not all, the Lemuria units should have a bonus against mounted units in general. Which come from the idea that they are able to communicate with some of the mounted animals and are persuading them to rebel against they masters and join the Lemuria. This might be a bit to powerful against a heavily mounted unit dependent civ like the Griffites

Orcs: UB - "Goblin slums", might replace some more "civilized" building. Goblin breeds like vermins +:c5food: and they are easily exploited +:c5production: , but they steal and cause troubles in general - :c5gold: .

That's a good idea, Goblins are going to be a part of the Orc civ, so there should be a building that represents them. I'm thinking about making it a building that doesn't replace anything - some other civs have such buildings too (Citadel of Light for Archons, Caravansary for Azracs, Miners Hall for Dwarves, Haunted Crypt for the Death Cultists - some of these buildings aren't technically UBs, but require technologies available only to those civs).

Dwarfs: UB - "Gnomish quarter". They invent useful contraptions + :c5science: +:c5production: , but they need a lot of materials for their experiments - :c5gold:

Actually Gnomes are one of the planned civs that will be added after the release, they will get more production from the Workshop improvement, and have an UB called Inventor's Workshop (replacing Siege Workshop), that gives extra science. Also this civ will get some unique technologically advanced units, like submarines and helicopters (while the Dwarves get ironclads and steam tanks).

I had this idea that when Archon units are garrisoned they generate mana, as they are praying to their god(s). Just like the honor policy in vanilla that allows garrisoned units to generate culture. This feature could also be giving to the demon cult and the undead faction, except that they would be praying/sacrificing to their dark gods instead.

I'm not going to add things that require complicated Lua scripts at the moment, but this idea can be considered later in the development process. I have another idea to represent the sacrifices and such things - a process that generates mana. But this will probably require some Lua or DLL changes as well.

I also thought that some of, if not all, the Lemuria units should have a bonus against mounted units in general. Which come from the idea that they are able to communicate with some of the mounted animals and are persuading them to rebel against they masters and join the Lemuria. This might be a bit to powerful against a heavily mounted unit dependent civ like the Griffites

Good idea and I haven't thought of it - I think I will add the bonus vs mounted units at least to the Beastmaster, which is an unique recon unit of this race.

Progress update: I finished working on beliefs. There are 64 of them for now - 20 Pantheon, 22 Founder/Enhancer (I merged these 2 groups into one), and 22 Follower. Any kind of belief can be used for reformation. I attached a screenshot showing some of the pantheon beliefs (with automatically generated descriptions, of course).

Now I need to find some good religion icons (if anyone knows where I can find them, please tell me), and come up with some fancy names for the religions :)

Attachments

• beliefs.jpg
    beliefs.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 141
Hey, I have an idea for a UI for the elves (just in case you need some ideas!) since the elves need the woods to survive that means they won't be able to have many farms, so my idea is to have a UI that replaces the farm and can be built in forest tile. The UI would be called flora incantation or something like that, and it could be moddled after the radiation model perhaps with a different color kind of like in this mod: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92013333&searchtext=supernatural

Anyway let me know what you think! Luigi makes amazing UI maybe he could help out!

Hey, I have an idea for a UI for the elves (just in case you need some ideas!) since the elves need the woods to survive that means they won't be able to have many farms, so my idea is to have a UI that replaces the farm and can be built in forest tile. The UI would be called flora incantation or something like that, and it could be moddled after the radiation model perhaps with a different color kind of like in this mod: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92013333&searchtext=supernatural

Anyway let me know what you think! Luigi makes amazing UI maybe he could help out!

Actually I made the Camp improvement buildable in any forest or jungle tile, so any civ can get more food from these tiles (but it doesn't give as much food as a tile with farm). Elves get the pantheon that give +1 food from forest from the start, so Camps are a good source of food for them. (Btw every citizen eats 4 food in this mod, so a +1 bonus is not as good as in the base game.)

If I need new improvement graphics, it would be something that gives food and can be built on snow, for the Snobar civ.

How are things going on the mod?

Well, I think I have about 90% of the work done for the first playable release. Among the things I still need to do are the social policies, more unique units/buildings/improvements for some civs and the monster spawning system. Generally things are going well, although I'm working on the mod alone (attempts to create a team have failed), and my style of development is slow - sometimes I spend a few hours only thinking how to do something to do it right. So I can't promise anything about the release date, currently I'm aiming for the end of this year or the beginning of next year.

Well, at some point it looked like there would be several people working together on the mod using GitHub, but their activity was very limited and soon became non-existent. I still welcome people that want to join the team, but only those really determined to commit their time to the project.

Currently I'm working on resources, resource-enabled buildings, bonuses to resource yields from buildings etc. (My simplified resource placement system that bypasses the overly complicated procedures in AssignStartingPlots.lua is already in place.) I created a big table on a sheet of paper with all these things, and in the process of sorting them out I got ideas for several new resources and buildings... This part should be finished in a few days, after that I'll proceed to the "great people" area - I need to write Lua scripts that allow some of them to create new resources after building a special improvement. Then I'll start working on the social policies, then adding some more civ uniques, monster spawns, heroes etc., then some general adjustments and preliminary tests and after that I'm ready for the release :)

When I need help with things like Lua scripts, I will post about it in the SDK/Lua forum. I will also need help with graphics - things like leader screens and various icons. But it will happen after the first release, for now I'm just going to use placeholder graphics - mostly images from the base game that are the "best fit" for the things from this mod.

I would say that I am still watching the mod but, due to basically zero knowledge of code/modding I can't really contribute in terms of mod development. I'm still up for throwing out ideas and such.

Ideas are always welcome :) Also I will need text descriptions for many things in the mod, but I think it's better to ask people to write them after the release, as now it's not 100% determined which units, buildings etc. are going to be included.

A small update about things I'm currently working on:

Strategic Resources

I like the concept of strategic resources in Civ5, as they limit the number of better quality units you can have, so if you don't have enough of them, you need to build more basic kinds of units. This adds depth to the game, as you need to manage the resources and decide how to spend them, and the cities that produce them have greater strategic importance.

But I don't like the situation where you have no resources of a kind and can't build the units associated with it at all. So there should be some alternative ways of getting them.

Hardwood - this is a very important resource that you will need in large quantities, as it's used for many kinds of units, like archers, siege engines and ships. Because of that, it's produced by a building that you can build in every city: Siege Workshop. Also you can get more of it as a resource that appears on the map - in forests, and, less often, jungles. So to build a big fleet, or lots of catapults and ballistae (requiring 2 hardwood each), you need to have a good supply of quality timber; but if you only need a few archers and ships, you will get enough of it from your cities.

Horses - in addition to those found on the map, you can build a national wonder called Grand Stable, which produces 2 horses. So you can have a bit of cavalry even without access to on-map horses. This national wonder also gives bonuses to production and XP of mounted units, so you can use it to specialize your city in building them.

Elephants - this resource can be used only by some civs. There are no alternative ways of getting it - if you don't have it on map in your territory, you can't build elephant units.

Iron - similar to Horses, you can build a national wonder that produces a small quantity of iron, so you have access to it even if there are no deposits on your territory. I don't know yet how to name this national wonder (Ironworks is already used for a different building), so ideas are welcome (this is a frequently used phrase in this thread :)).

Mithril - this is used to produce powerful late game units. It's found on map (although rarely), and there is a national wonder called Mithril Synthesizer* that produces a small amount of Mithril from Iron at a high maintenance cost.

*I'm not a native speaker, and I'm not sure if this is a good name for this building, as it's normally used only as a musical instrument, or an electronic device. I use it here as something that performs synthesis of some substance. Please let me know if you think it sounds good or not, or have an idea for a better name.

There are also other strategic resources, like Arcane Power and Divine Power, that are only produced by buildings and (probably not in the first release) by special places on the map, like magic nodes and ancient temples.

I just wanted to say that this project is not dead. After some time of being busy with other activities, I go back to developing it, and I'm going to release a playable version as soon as possible. There's not that many things left to do, so, if everything goes well, it should be ready in a few months.

Currently working on:

Heroes

There are 4 types of great people that have combat capabilities: General, Admiral, Hero, and Magic Hero. The "Hero" type is different for each civ (see below), while the 3 other types have a "generic" version and UUs for some civs. The heroes can be upgraded to a stronger version when you advance to a new era (there are 4 eras in the game).

Civ-specific heroes: (This list may be subject to change, especially if someone posts some better ideas here.)

Dreamers - Swashbuckler (melee, amphibious)
Griffites - Cavalier (mounted)
Archons - Avenger (melee, good movement abilities)
Vodniks - Naga Warrior (creature) (I know I'm mixing Slavic and Asian traditions here :))
Snobar - Raider (melee, gets gold from attacking cities)
Azracs - Roamer (mounted archer)
Lemuria - Tracker (recon)
Elves - Warden (archer)
Dwarves - Sentinel (melee, defense bonus)
Orcs - Enforcer (melee, attack bonus)
Demons - Demon Incarnate (creature)
Undead - Vampire (melee, heals itself when killing an enemy unit)

An update about the things I'm doing lately: I incorporated the Era Settlers mod by 1stspeaker to this mod, with some changes and corrections to the code.

The happiness system in CoA implies that you can only found a few cities in early game, and later, as happiness grows, you can gradually build more. To prevent the new cities from being completely useless compared to old ones, I decided to make them start with some buildings and more population. There will be still some differences in the level of development between cities in your empire, but to a lesser degree than it would be without this change. This is especially important taking into account that I'll probably disallow buying buildings and units (with a few exceptions like Privateers and Mercenaries).

Nice beliefs for religion--I especially like how they're color-coded. Is it possible to download that component somewhere?

The color-coding is a part of my "generate help" function, which is an integral part of the mod - it's not a separate component. Basically all tooltips, civilopedia help text etc. are generated automatically based on the database content, so (1) I don't have to write them myself and (2) I can avoid mistakes - what's displayed in the game is how the thing really works. But it won't work properly outside of the mod, as it doesn't take into account things that aren't used in the mod, also some things in the mod have a bit different meaning than in unmodded game.

I believe there are other mods that use similar systems of automatic tooltip generation, that might be better suited to be ported to other mods (and you can edit them to use a color coding you like). I found this old thread, I don't know if there exists a newer version that works with current patches and expansions. If someone who knows where to find it reads this, please let us know.

Btw the beliefs on that picture are not final, I'm planning some corrections before the release, also I'm bringing back the original system of belief types (founder, follower, enhancer etc.), as merging groups like founder and enhancer turned out to cause some problems.

Currently I'm working on social policies, also the aforementioned belief changes, and some other (minor) things need to be done before the release.

Top Bottom