Chronicles of Mankind

Looks like a faulty installation :undecide:
Did you try it again? Do other mods work properly?

Is Rise of Mankind also installed? Not RoM-AND by Afforess, but the original one by Zappara. It is mentioned in RoM-AND forums, that having RoM and RoM-AND both installed will cause issues. However, having multiple copies of RoM-AND and CoM has no problems.
I also have RoM-AND I think. But, I can check and then try reinstalling. If I do I will uninstall and then reinstall this one.
Hopefully that will fix it.
I also get errors when booting up the other. But they are different and it runs properly without any noticable issues.
I have like two other civ 4 mods installed too. But they work fine. (Plus the ones that come with the install of course.)

The legacies idea is interesting. I personally think completely removing civ starting techs is sort of meh. I personally think having the starting techs be tied to the leaders personality traits is a better approach. I do like the depth it would probably bring to later eras.

Potentially, having leader portraits change in some way based on the legacies chosen would be nice. Particularly if it was contextualized as each leader being a primary ruling family. So, potentially it might morph or change through the ages. The extra graphical work would probably only be practical if you have static leader pics. Even then it might be a stretch.
For aliens we could probably take portraits from alpha centauri. units wouldn't work as well since those are 2d. There is also a Civ 4 space colonization mod that might have things we could take graphically. Assuming their forum page is fine with that.
The other RoM based mod that I have installed had a mars scenario which starts at future tech. So adding the alien faction after it was made to there might be interesting.

Update on trying to get the mod to run:

I tried unisntalling my other mods. And reinstalling it. I also tried using the game without the patch.
When I did that it had no errors. But, the civ traits appeared to be like vanilla. So, it seems to be non-functional?
I am going to try redownloading and then reinstalling again too?
Maybe I am only supposed to put the unzipped path folder there. And not the main install. That is the only thing I can think of to do differently?

Last edited:
Interesting. high tyrol is having similar issues installing the mod as I am. Except with mine, it's stating missing archives.
I also have Rom AND 2 installed ( version by 45 and team), but looking through trouble shooting threads, I can't seem to find a resolution.
All other mods I have installed work just fine, so not really sure where the problem is. Definitely a puzzle.

Last edited:
I managed to get mine working. I uninstalled the other mod. But that wasn't enough. On the second time redowloading I realized that apparently it wasn't downloading everything in the folder. Because the download had run out of room due to me forgetting to clean out my recycle bin. It said it had downloaded. But it was missing 3 folders and a couple files.
So, I would try clearing out your recycle bin and making sure you have at least 5 GB of free space. Since it seems to take like 2.9 GB when unzipped and 2 GB Zipped. And either the download step or the unzipping step can be a place where files are dropped. After installation though it will only take 3 GB.
If that doesn't work I would remove the other mod from the mod folder and then try reinstalling it.

Interesting. high tyrol is having similar issues installing the mod as I am. Except with mine, it's stating missing archives.
I also have Rom AND 2 installed ( version by 45 and team), but looking through trouble shooting threads, I can't seem to find a resolution.
All other mods I have installed work just fine, so not really sure where the problem is. Definitely a puzzle.

Hmnn. That would make sense if I had a situation of limited disk space, to where the recycle bin being empty was necessary for the download. However, I have a 2 TB hard drive, and plenty of space for a 5GB DL. So space doesn't appear to be the issue in this instance.
However, your comment about the missing files and folders does make sense, as when I use WinZip or 7zip to extract, it's telling me that I'm missing archive folders.
I'm not using Zappara's or Afforness's version of the mod, but the version by 45 and team. Looking at their trouble shooting threads, there doesn't appear to be any reference of conflicts with this mod, and I'm rather reluctant to delete it until I can get a more definitive answer to what the issue might be.
Searching through this thread, there are some similar issues to what I am experiencing, but nothing concrete in the way of problem solving getting the mod to work. Your issue was the closest to what I am experiencing, which raised my curiosity. <Nexus> said the DL on his end was up to date ( previous post awhile ago), and I've tried both Chrome and Firefox for the DL, which appears to have the full file size on the main file. Lol, definitely a puzzle.
I'll PM 45 and see if he has any potential insights as to what the issue might be. I would really like to get this mod up and running, just to check out all the new bells and whistles.

All other mods I have installed work just fine, so not really sure where the problem is. Definitely a puzzle

Hmnn. That would make sense if I had a situation of limited disk space, to where the recycle bin being empty was necessary for the download. However, I have a 2 TB hard drive, and plenty of space for a 5GB DL. So space doesn't appear to be the issue in this instance.
However, your comment about the missing files and folders does make sense, as when I use WinZip or 7zip to extract, it's telling me that I'm missing archive folders.
I'm not using Zappara's or Afforness's version of the mod, but the version by 45 and team. Looking at their trouble shooting threads, there doesn't appear to be any reference of conflicts with this mod, and I'm rather reluctant to delete it until I can get a more definitive answer to what the issue might be.
Searching through this thread, there are some similar issues to what I am experiencing, but nothing concrete in the way of problem solving getting the mod to work. Your issue was the closest to what I am experiencing, which raised my curiosity. <Nexus> said the DL on his end was up to date ( previous post awhile ago), and I've tried both Chrome and Firefox for the DL, which appears to have the full file size on the main file. Lol, definitely a puzzle.
I'll PM 45 and see if he has any potential insights as to what the issue might be. I would really like to get this mod up and running, just to check out all the new bells and whis
Maybe, try redownloading and instaling anyways. It might fix it?

Maybe, try redownloading and instaling anyways. It might fix it?
Yeah, that's what I'm currently doing. Ironically, Chrome says that I've already DL'd the file and I need to save... Except that I don't have the file DL'd :D
Firefox is currently downloading the file. Guess we'll see what happens after.
I've also cleared my recycle bin, and updated my WinRar, just to see what happens. At least it's my day off, lol.

Ok, well this is interesting.
So, good news, a "really?", good news, followed by a "well that figures".
1) Good News; successful download... finally.
2) Really?; Norton lights off when I extract the patch with a medium threat warning on Cv.Core.dll. Fix that to allow patch to work. Uninstall, reinstall, just to be sure.
3) Good News; Both extractions work just fine, load mod, and set up a custom game.
4) Well that figures; Game loads, and I get this:

CoM Bug.JPG

I've uninstalled twice more after this, and have gotten the same errors. So, lol, anyone have any ideas?

Just out of curiosity, I noticed that CoM is on the AND2 checker under modules. Do I need to have that checked?

Last edited:
Oh, I'm so happy that it finally works for both of you :D
I've uninstalled twice more after this, and have gotten the same errors. So, lol, anyone have any ideas?
I don't remember ever seeing those errors.
Just a guess: Give Admin privileges to the game, all folders or something like that :confused:

Just out of curiosity, I noticed that CoM is on the AND2 checker under modules. Do I need to have that checked?
No, CoM started as a module for AND2 under the name "Chronicles". By some time I decided that I want it to be a stand alone mod and created "Chronicles of Mankind".

Oh, I'm so happy that it finally works for both of you :D

I don't remember ever seeing those errors.
Just a guess: Give Admin privileges to the game, all folders or something like that :confused:

No, CoM started as a module for AND2 under the name "Chronicles". By some time I decided that I want it to be a stand alone mod and created "Chronicles of Mankind".
I have Admin set up for BTS. Didn't know you had to have it for a specific folder.

Ok, good to know, ty.

I have Admin set up for BTS. Didn't know you had to have it for a specific folder.

Ok, good to know, ty.
Oh, did you think it was a module that goes inside AND2?

My first couple games went interesting.
I played France on the world map and got completely conquered by spain after they got chariots.
Weirdly I had better tech but still lost. I had spearman and horsemen. ( I only had like 3 horsemen though.) Apparently 2-4 units per town aren't enough to guard cities on noble difficulty.
On the second game I realized that until you get the civic that let's you build better military units it isn't very feasible to actually conquer cities.
Maybe if you can warrior rush fast enough once you get the building that lets you basically pump out 1 a turn. But by the time you can build them fast. Your enemies can usually build them fast enough there isn't much hope of an attack. I tried attacking a single city with like 20 warriors and a few scouts to defend it afterwards long enough to build slingers there. I had some slingers too.
Basically, it seems if they have more than about 2 guards you won't be able to take them down fast enough.
I am going to try maybe chariot rushing. But tech wise it seems hard to pull off. Since it takes like 10-15+ turns after you get the tech to transition to civics that let you recruit advanced units. And in that time you can get like 2-4 more techs depending on your economy. And your production at first will probably be taken up by settlers. Since you can't build them till later anyways. Which is kind of weird feeling. If I could manage to conquer a whole civ in a chariot push it might be worth it. But conquering 1 or 2 cities is likely to be less effective. A weird niche I realized is that scouts are decent defensive units after warfare. Since the -50 melee malus isn't as bad there. Since the best city attackers are usually slingers due to the 100% vs. melee they
Overall, I like the burst of energy after being restrained to one city. But, it kind of feels like the burst is a bit too fast.
Archers are better for defense than a scout. So, once you get them archers + slingers work for garrisons. But their offense is terrible And the defense bump isn't really enough to stand up to chariots + slingers. spearman help a little. But they cost so much that their extra strength hardly matters. And they don't improve your offense at all.
I think building a lot of slingers and scouts before the bubble and then going for chariots or horse to get the bonus against their ranged units might be the effective way to rush though?
Since slingers demolish warriors and spearmen.
I kind of wish there was a bigger gap between tech levels in the later early game. A bigger delay between getting the ability to make settlers and better military units would be nice. Or alternatively having more of a tier. I need to examine the civililopedia closer. But the only reason I can think of for chariots to be worth going for as a player is maybe a lower cost allowing you to pump out enough extra ones to make up for the lower strength and anti-archer ability. I still plan to try doing a chariot rush in case there is aspect to it I can't see that makes it work.
I didn't have any issues getting a big capitol. And even my secondary cities tended to have an effect where other than a 10-20 turn warm up time they grew fast. (In effect they start to boom in pop right about the time you get the civics you need to try pumping out advanced military units.
I might try decreasing the difficulty level if I can't survive a bit longer in the next game or so. But, usually I can play above noble. But start there with new mods to get a handle on them.

Also, A small glitch happens with the time for a city to grow on the first turn. It gives you a much faster value than is accurate. It does get corrected on the second turn.
My guess is that it takes a turn for the food consumption kick in. So, the estimate is wrong. A side effect is you can build a gatherer faster on turn 1 than if you start on turn 2.(It cancels out if you go for the +1 food building though.)

Last edited:
Haha! "Rush"-és were never intended 😅
Ancient era is not designed to the time of wars but the time of hunting and gathering.
Well the AI can pull them off somehow?
Although, playing as germany or any other aggressive or scientific civ seems to discourage invasions pretty well.
I kind of realized that the gatherers are pretty micromanagement heavy. But, if you are exact with it. You can get one of the early game wonders in the first 5-10 turns. Which makes a huge difference.

Although, playing as germany or any other aggressive or scientific civ seems to discourage invasions pretty well.
Or just spam a sh*tton of warriors/slingers for despotism happiness, worked for me even with Agressive/Ruthless on.
Ancient era is not designed to the time of wars but the time of hunting and gathering.
I wish C2C devs agreed with you and didn't make a gap of 3-5 base strength possible with baseline being 4.

No, just a long shot guess.
Aslo, is there a specific way to set up Admin on a folder? You'd figure with Civ being given Admin rights, you wouldn't need to do that, but, lol, ok.

*Edit: Figured it out. First time I've ever had to give Admin privilege's to a specific file inside a program that already has Admin privilege.. :crazyeye:
That seemed to do the trick though. Will give it a test drive, and give you some feedback later. Appreciate the help, ty.

Last edited:
Or just spam a sh*tton of warriors/slingers for despotism happiness, worked for me even with Agressive/Ruthless on.

I wish C2C devs agreed with you and didn't make a gap of 3-5 base strength possible with baseline being 4.
Well, I think that it makes sense to have ancient warfare but it should be small scale.
Since tribes probably would have warred pretty quickly. Or had inter-family fights. But, being able to conquer other civilizations that early seems a bit off to me. As that would have a big midgame effect.
I think having some non-animal low strength barbarians show up earlier would make sense though. It would also give a practical reason to build the warrior unit other than city defense.

Since tribes probably would have warred pretty quickly. Or had inter-family fights. But, being able to conquer other civilizations that early seems a bit off to me. As that would have a big midgame effect.
In my iteration ancient era wars are between tribes and primitive empire, that is usually a playable civ Vs. a barbarian city.

I think having some non-animal low strength barbarians show up earlier would make sense though. It would also give a practical reason to build the warrior unit other than city defense.
I wanted the early game to be more hunting and less fighting. And believe me, even the animals can be dangerous. Okay, they won't threaten your cities but your early economy relies on hunting and gathering, and if you lose 1 hunter out of 4, than it is at least -10% income of :food: , :hammers: & :commerce: .

But you can have more barbarians: Play with Barbarian World ON so it's 1 barb city / civ. And if you are masochistic enough, you can turn Raging Barbarians on too, but than it's kind of a different game :run: 🪓:viking:

Play with Barbarian World ON so it's 1 barb city / civ.
It strangles AIs badly even without raging. Hunting also creates a gap, so should be optional. Or at least make animals not insta-die with movement limits on.

Top Bottom