• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Cities

Plugs

Chieftain
Just confirming, but cities workable land is still the x shaped 21 squares...right?

Right, the Fat X is still the shape of a city assuming you have the culture to be that big. It your culture isn't high enough, it will be smaller.

As far as I know, workable tiles are exactly the same as they were in Civ 3.

the grid was laid out in a square pattern this time around instead of the old diamonds. If that is the case wouldn't it be a fat +.

Whenever trying to found a city, will the game let you see a nice grid of these "x shaped 24" lines, as opposed to just the culture border?

I'm pretty sure it is still the city square in the middle, the ring of squares adjacent to the city square and an extra 3 squares to the N, S, E, and W of the city square. So in total, 21 squares like Civ3.

It still forms the fat X.

Looking through Sulla's walkthrough lets me answer "yes" to all the given questions. (Although you only get the grid if you specifically ask for it.)

Kinseek said:
Whenever trying to found a city, will the game let you see a nice grid of these "x shaped 24" lines, as opposed to just the culture border?

Looking at Sulla's walkthrough, when he clicks on the settler, you see only the resulting cultural border for the city (with or without the existing borders, I don't know, but I'd guess you see how it adds to your nation), not the "fat X" of maximum-usable tiles. So you've got to extrapolate.

So, yeah, clicking on a settler shows only the radius-1 tiles.

They SHOULD have included the radius-2 tiles, in my opinion. Maybe just in a different color, but when planning where to post a city, it's nice to see everything.

damn...no way to get 100% efficency with the fat x

(as in you cant tessellate it, so there will be gaps where your population cant work)

right?

Well you can turn the camera however you want, so the difference between a fat X and a fat + is just semantics. And no, you can't tile them, but then it's been the same in all the other Civ games. However, in earlier games you were better off overlapping to take advantage of as many tiles as possible. In Civ IV it may be the opposite: it's better to leave out some tiles than to overlap.

Top Bottom