City Name Maps

@AbsintheRed @merijn_v1
You will make further changes in the eastern part of the map?
What map projection used?

Yeah, check my opening post in the "map changes for 1.4" thread

I'm ready to get started with the location of cities in Eastern Europe:)

Great, they are dire need for some updates :)
Wait until the map updates are realized though

Ohh, I meant the map itself (adding the lake and editing the coastline)
City name map is up for discussion, as always.
Hopefully he will be back soon to join the conversation

I'm always here really.
What are the current topics to be discussed?

I'm always here really.
What are the current topics to be discussed?

City name maps for England, Scotland.
Actually all the British Isles, Ireland included.

OK, first things first, attached are the proposed map changes in NW Atlantic.
To summarise:

Physical: Remove a land tile from the west coast. Replace a land tile with a lake in the north-east.
Terrain: More moorland and a little less marsh in the west. Move hills from centre to coasts. I feel one or two more tiles of moorland would not hurt, maybe north or west of the cows in the middle.
Bonuses: fewer commerce resources, compensated with more rivers and some sheep; replace iron with horse. Add cows. Actually, I think one of those cows should be pigs, but RFCE seems to have no pigs in NW Europe so maybe that is an intentional effort to force trade.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0005.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0005.JPG
    163.2 KB · Views: 176
Shouldn't the east of it be less fertile as well?
It seems too many food resources at first glance.
Also 2 potato resources appear in Ireland in the 16th century.
At 32, 59 and 29, 57 with the current settings, but those can be also moved ofc.
(Dublin is 32, 58, coordinates count from the bottom-left corner)

Shouldn't the east of it be less fertile as well?
It seems too many food resources at first glance.
Also 2 potato resources appear in Ireland in the 16th century.
At 32, 59 and 29, 57 with the current settings, but those can be also moved ofc.
(Dublin is 32, 58, coordinates count from the bottom-left corner)

The east should be more fertile than the west. This is the basic pattern of Irish human geography that the east and south are more urban, Viking, Anglicised, etc while the west is more rural, Gaelic.
OK, if potatoes appear then you don't need the cow in the middle.
Ireland should have ok food but not many hammers. It's ok if Ireland has a relatively large population as long as its cities are not productive.

Now the city name map is attached too. Thanks to TimGB for work done lately.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    176 KB · Views: 180
There were no changes in the city name maps recently.
Only suggestions in the thread, but none of those are included in the mod yet.

City names for Wales and most of England. I am not a native so these are just ideas.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0003.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0003.JPG
    213 KB · Views: 138
The tile E of Cardiff should be Gloucester as well I think.
Winchester would make more sense 1W (the current tile could be Reading?).
Leicester should be 1W, on your Coventry.
I would make the western Portsmouth Chichester, so Sussex gets represented somehow.

Looks pretty good though.

Thanks to all 3 of you, I also like the improvements!
The tile E of Cardiff should be Gloucester as well I think.
Winchester would make more sense 1W (the current tile could be Reading?).
Leicester should be 1W, on your Coventry.
I would make the western Portsmouth Chichester, so Sussex gets represented somehow.

Looks pretty good though.

Whenever you have some time for it, could you merge these for a final version (based on the suggestions of Tim, Panopticon and yourself), maybe also update the new city spots in Britain for some other civs as well?
You can send me the python file in email, like always.

The east should be more fertile than the west. This is the basic pattern of Irish human geography that the east and south are more urban, Viking, Anglicised, etc while the west is more rural, Gaelic.
OK, if potatoes appear then you don't need the cow in the middle.
Ireland should have ok food but not many hammers. It's ok if Ireland has a relatively large population as long as its cities are not productive.

Yeah, the east will certainly be more fertile than the west.
Still feel there are too many resources there on your map.
For example the site of Newry (the western one) can have all of horse, sheep, barley, cow and fish in it's BFC, while being coastal with a freshwater lake, also almost all of it's tiles are grassland, most of which are also riverside. Production is also very good.
That site would probably be one of the best in the entire game :)
While that city won't be founded, my point is still valid to a somewhat lesser degree for Dublin and some other potential city-sites too.
But I guess we will discuss resources in detail in the map development thread when the actual map updates will happen :)

Yeah, the east will certainly be more fertile than the west.
Still feel there are too many resources there on your map.
For example the site of Newry (the western one) can have all of horse, sheep, barley, cow and fish in it's BFC, while being coastal with a freshwater lake, also almost all of it's tiles are grassland, most of which are also riverside. Production is also very good.
That site would probably be one of the best in the entire game :)
While that city won't be founded, my point is still valid to a somewhat lesser degree for Dublin and some other potential city-sites too.
But I guess we will discuss resources in detail in the map development thread when the actual map updates will happen :)

Yeah, it's already an ok site. Ireland currently has bonuses of number/type: 4 food, 1 production and 2 commerce. The screenshot gets rid of 1 food (fish), 2 commerce, and 1 production, and replaces them with 2 cow, a horse (worse production than iron) and a sheep (commerce). That's more an even trade than making it poorer, which was the point of the exercise (apart from fixing the water features). To fix this, there should be only 1 cow on the site called Kilkenny and horses should be 1W. As I said, perhaps the tiles called Omagh/Enniskillen/Athlone could be moorland.

Some very small suggestions for the North of England. Again I am not a native so these cannot be definitive, I'd take the earlier suggestions from others into consideration as well.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0004.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0004.JPG
    117.3 KB · Views: 178
So these were my English city names for comparison.

Notable inclusions:

Tintagel - legendary birthplace of King Arthur

Glastonbury - the location of Glastonbury Tor - an important landmark in Celtic mythology and Arthurian legend

St Albans - former Roman town of Verulamium

St Davids - Officially the smallest city in the UK. It only has 1,841 people total but it has a cathedral so it is actually a city.

Llanfairpwllgwyngyll - 33rd Celtic city in civ 5, longest place name in the UK. I changed the English name to Bangor as that's a much larger city in the area and has a university.

Ely - another cathedral city, where Hereward the Wake led an unsuccessful rebellion against the invading Normans.

Attachments

• England city names0000.JPG
    England city names0000.JPG
    162 KB · Views: 156
And here are my Scotland and North England city names.

Notable inclusions:

Durham - the final resting place of St Cuthbert and St Bede the Venerable. Durham Castle is the only Norman castle to never have fallen to invaders.

St Andrews - location of Scotland's first university, and worldwide known as the home of golf.

Fort William - Town at the foot of Ben Nevis, the UK's highest mountain.

Attachments

• Scotland City names0000.JPG
    Scotland City names0000.JPG
    143.1 KB · Views: 139
There are a few other changes I made based on geography but the ones listed are the ones I felt were more important.

Caernarfon should definitely stay as the city in NW Wales. It was the capital of Gwynedd and was an important city in the area long after the English conquest.

Yeah that makes sense. Also Llanfairpwllgwyngyll doesn't fit in the city name so Caernarfon would be better in that sense too. At least it's an improvement from a second Colwyn Bay, which is what it was before.

Caernarfon should definitely stay as the city in NW Wales. It was the capital of Gwynedd and was an important city in the area long after the English conquest.

Yeah that makes sense. Also Llanfairpwllgwyngyll doesn't fit in the city name so Caernarfon would be better in that sense too. At least it's an improvement from a second Colwyn Bay, which is what it was before.

Also it will probably have some chance to spawn as an indy city
So the CNMs should also have Caernarfon

Top Bottom