1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

City Name Maps

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall: Europe' started by AbsintheRed, Jul 2, 2011.

1. DC123456789

DC123456789 Chieftain

I've added a bunch of Scots city names to the Scottish CNM, as well as filled in a bunch more crusader CNMs. Is your email still the same?

2. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Great, thanks you!
    Yes, you can send it there

3. DC123456789

DC123456789 Chieftain

Okay, sent.

4. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Thanks, got it!

5. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Updated the second post with the latest changes

6. Panopticon

Panopticon Utilitarian

So some people in another thread seemed to think that King's Lynn was not worth including as a port in the period covered by this mod. So I will leave them to that and instead stick with an unquestionable area of expertise in the city name map for IRELAND.

First, the geography looks odd at present, and Ireland ought to be a little bit poorer and less productive than it is. The geographically-faithful solution to both of these would be to delete the third land tile on the east coast, and to turn the land tile diagonally inland from the top-right tile into a lake.

Second, better name changes are highlighted in yellow.

Attached Files:

7. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

I'm fine with those changes, not that familiar with Ireland myself (unfortunately)
    Also didn't say your English suggestions were out of the question. IMO you guys should open a thread, and discuss the proposed changes
    Btw, you can play around in the WB, both for terrain changes, and for city name maps (you can switch to city names under the signs menu (top-left icon))
    Little easier to show your suggestions that way

8. Panopticon

Panopticon Utilitarian

OK next time I'll do that.

9. TimGB

TimGB Chieftain

I've been editing the British Isles city map recently for my own games, and decided I should post my map here so it can be considered for the mod. I changed some of the cities based on geography and historical/present importance (I have no idea why Bantry was given three possible spawnpoints). I also changed the Scottish city names from Scots to Gaelic, as it's a more widely distributed language within Scotland and looks more distinct from English. For non-Scottish cities I used the native Celtic language names; for non-Celtic cities I just used the English names.

I've attached 7z compressed files for the updated Python map and excel map of the cities (in English).

Attached Files:

10. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Great!
    DC123456789 did the current version of the Scottish map, here is my note about it in the changelog:
    "Scottish CNM by DC123456789 (positions are based on the English one, language is Scottish Gaelic > English)"

Will upload an improved version into the SVN to be included in the main mod after you guys reach a consensus about the names.
    Obviously everyone else can also dip in.

PS: Probably you didn't notice, but in RFCE all CNMs can be easily checked in the World Builder.
    Go to Signs mode (top left), and switch to city names.
    Then you can easily switch between CNMs of all the civs.
    Also you can see all civs' city name for a given spot when you select it using this mode.

11. TimGB

TimGB Chieftain

Ah, thanks for this! It seems that there are a few incosistencies I need to change, some of which existed before I made my map. This tool is very helpful.

12. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

You can also save you changes directly into a python file
    (not usable in the mod, but still much-much easier to edit the RFCEMaps.py file with it - actually just a copy-paste of the corresponding civ's map from the new file)
    If you save in WorldBuilder, it will automatically appear near the WB save file

13. TimGB

TimGB Chieftain

Thanks again! I used this to correct some mistakes, but I also discovered some more Gaelic and Welsh names for English places, so I've updated the Scottish map. Need to ask DC123456789 about changing it first though.

14. DC123456789

DC123456789 Chieftain

Both Scottish Gaelic and Scots are acceptable for the Scottish CNM in my opinion, though obviously it shoud be consistent. It seemed from my research that the prestige/court language switched at around the 12th or 13th century, which is around the midpoint of a Scottish game. I chose Scots because it allows us to use English names without it looking out of place, while still having distinct names for Scotlad and parts of Ireland, as well as because the mod is weighted more heavily towards later years. If you think Scottish Gaelic would make more sense though, go ahead.

15. gilgames

gilgames Priest-King

I saw your new names and like them better than currents, so I vote or change.

16. TimGB

TimGB Chieftain

Scots appears to be mainly a spoken language, while Gaelic seems more written. While travelling round Scotland, particularly in the Highlands, you often see signs written in both English and Gaelic, but not Scots.https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/ce/A87-bilingual.jpg

Also, I personally feel that Gaelic looks nicer. Reading Scots feels like reading a written dialect of English (I actually thought it was a play on the Scottish accent at first glance), while Gaelic is more distinct and exotic. I think both would work from a Historical standpoint but Gaelic would be more interesting.

17. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

For me it works both ways
    I leave this entirely up to you guys, both of you seem pretty informed in the subject

Note that Ireland will probably see some minor map changes (probably something along the lines of the suggestion of Panopticon, a couple posts above)
    Other than that I consider the shape of the British Islands final

18. TimGB

TimGB Chieftain

Yeah I think Panopticon's idea seems better. I've never been to Ireland so I just based my Irish city map off Google maps and Wikipedia. I feel name suggestions from someone who's actually Irish/knows about Irish history, are more valid. I'll put a picture of my general city map here so it can be discussed though. Should I make a new thread or are we okay discussing here?

Attached Files:

19. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Ohh, I meant the map itself (adding the lake and editing the coastline)
    City name map is up for discussion, as always.
    Hopefully he will be back soon to join the conversation

20. SanJose

SanJose Chieftain

@AbsintheRed @merijn_v1
    You will make further changes in the eastern part of the map?
    What map projection used?

I'm ready to get started with the location of cities in Eastern Europe:)