City ranged attack!

Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"The Project never stops till the money runs out" - Some Project Manager somewhere

If it makes you feel better, I am not the biggest fan of city attacks myself. But I try to hold myself to the same "gold" standard, going for gold means recognizing when good enough is truly good enough. City attacks are not unbalancing, they serve a purpose (even if its limited), and removing them would cause game play impacts elsewhere that would need further adjustment and testing. Its not worth considering at this stage of the game.

Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Are you sure it was Antoine? I somehow got the idea that it was Shafer when he was "developing" civ 5 vanilla... :lol::lol::lol:

I feel the city bombardment doesn't add anything substantial to the game, the damage it deals is negligible after the classical era and the UI is clunky. But the people have spoken.

Indeed. Let's not start another ICBM discussion

PS. Is Archery necessary to have range 1? It should be.

Last edited:
We should not change it for civ 5. Trying to go for gold people, these are the radical changes we need to avoid
Please pardon my ignorance, but what does gold refer to here? I'm assuming there's no VP team at the Olympics..?

@telelavoro
Taken from a term used in game development release cycle, essentially the "final stable", webopedia.
In software and application development, a gold version is the final stage of software development and follows the alpha and beta testing cycles of software development. The gold version is the final version of the software as it will be released to the public. Most or all known bugs prior to release are fixed, and all intended functions for final release are implemented. Media and developers will often use the phrase "gone gold" to announce a software product's impending release.

Attachments

• 220px-Software_dev2.svg.png
    220px-Software_dev2.svg.png
    26.1 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
I feel the city bombardment doesn't add anything substantial to the game, the damage it deals is negligible after the classical era and the UI is clunky. But the people have spoken.
It is not negligible and it actually adds a lot. removing it will make it MUCH harder to defend and significantly easier to attack. I am opposed to this idea.

Last edited:

I've been thinking about this statement. I think I agree with you here. City bombardment is quite effective and influential in the early game. But becomes less useful as the game progresses. Which is why... I say leave it alone, it's fine lol

Thank you! I'm guessing that in this case development wouldn't entirely cease after any such release though, or am I wrong?
That's precisely the point. Development would cease so that the game stops shifting and turning into something different. Once that happens, strategies can solidify and a mature community can form. Development of modmods, further changes to VP like extra civs and stuff, would still go on, but VP proper would become set in stone

That's precisely the point. Development would cease so that the game stops shifting and turning into something different. Once that happens, strategies can solidify and a mature community can form. Development of modmods, further changes to VP like extra civs and stuff, would still go on, but VP proper would become set in stone
Ah fair enough, sorry for derailing! :x

This "going for gold" crap is crap.....artificially squelching ideas because YOU are tired of getting new ones?....ridiculous.....name me ONE mod, where development has ceased that has a thriving, growing community.....

Instead of removing it altogether, would you consider adding the bits to make it moddable? Or is it already done that way?

I might be interested in making it more infrastructure-based, if you're already leaning towards a code change here.. something like x building adds plus y range and z attack strength would be sweet.. I agree with others in this thread that it would be good fare for modmods.

This "going for gold" crap is crap.....artificially squelching ideas because YOU are tired of getting new ones?....ridiculous.....name me ONE mod, where development has ceased that has a thriving, growing community.....
I do... and don't agree with you. I think what's happening here as we've reached a new age. All we need is the base structure of VP. And then modmods can take it from there. I'll bet G would always be willing to listen to overwhelming voices of the people... LOL

In fact, I'll bet there's an Untold number of people that are just waiting for VP to finalize so they can make that custom scenario they've been dreaming of

Does anyone knows where I can remove or reduce the range for city ranged bombard? So that I can change that for myself that doesn't like it.

City range attack is increased by building walls and arsenals in your cities. If you want to change/remove those bonuses, look in buildingchanges.sql for CityRangedStrikeRange. You can modify the buildings there so they don't give the bonus.

If you modify walls, remember you will also need to modify babylon's walls. If you modify arsenal, remember you will also need to modify the Ostrog.

Top Bottom