City windows not opening

DanPurvis

Chieftain
I have just re-installed civ 2 on XP (it was working fine before on XP) but when I start the game and build a city, the city window doesn't appear.

I have tried clicking on the city icon but the window still doesn't appear.

Any help please?

Try shrinking the map screen a little, there maybe a city screen open already behind it.

I have tried it but still no screen. The game tells me to close the window to continue, but there is no screen to close.

Can you post a copy of the save file, see if it smething strange pertaining (sp?) to the game. Also which version of Civ2 are you using?

I'm suffering the same problem, with MGE. I've tried to reinstall the program...

I think it can be because one of the DLL needed by the program and stored in windows directory could have been altered (no other reason I can come with)...

Could you tell me an utility to work out what DLLs are used by Civ2? I've tried to update cmmcntrl.dll and other dll, but this doesn't work.

I've also tried to downgrade my copy of Tot, only to suffer the same problem.

It started 4 or 5 hours ago, and I'm not able to fix it, even when I'm not a computer illiterate... Please help me!! :(

More details: with new games of any kind and saved files from an scenario game the problem exists; with standard game save files, the problem doens't exists (both in sp and mp)

I don't understand it... and I can't format my HD. I'd love to restore Civ2 :(

Problem solved. After disabling one by one all the applications that load at the start and all the services (run msconfig and go to services) I discover that the problem was caused by the service "themes". Disabling this service, although makes Windows XP looks uglier, is an effective solution.

I'll search more solutions, however.

I've found that the lastest drivers of Nvidia TNT Riva2 could be the reason for this behaviour.

The other day I formatted my HD, played Civ2 a little after reinstalling the OS. But when I updated the driver with the newest from nVidia's site I got the problem again. Switching back to the driver (from July 2003) that Windows Update provides solved the problem.

I run civ2.42 with themes on (XP Home SP1), maybe themes are disabled for my civ2.exe.
You can disable themes for individual (dos or win3.1) .exe files under
properties/compatibility. I'm not sure if it works.
I can't check it now. This is another PC without any MS Windows or civ.

Top Bottom