Civ 2 Gold - Missing sound effects when playing without CD

deeves

Chieftain
I noticed that when using the no-cd patch from the download page, some sound effects become missing. E.g. movement sound or clicking EXIT on the city screen. Has anyone else encountered this?

Editing one byte in the civ2.exe seems to fix it for me.

@163AA7 change 81 to 80

I have the same problem..

had.. editing that byte worked for me too, thanks

Last edited:
I noticed that when using the no-cd patch from the download page, some sound effects become missing. E.g. movement sound or clicking EXIT on the city screen. Has anyone else encountered this?

Editing one byte in the civ2.exe seems to fix it for me.

@163AA7 change 81 to 80
I am not using the no-cd patch. I have my CD in for the music. I am using Civ2 UI Additions. But i was not getting the sound effects either... until I used your fix, thank you!

What an interesting fix (might be of interest to @FoxAhead ). I remember @Metro Polis had this no sounds at all issue for years as well.

I've been having a different weird sound issue for years where some Civ2 wav sounds will stop playing and then after a few months they'll start working again. Eg I had silence in the diplomacy screen for over a year but now it's fine again. While now days I've got a weird issue where it no longer plays MENUEND.WAV whenever I load a scenario which is annoying as many scenarios have custom menuend sound files that I miss out on and have to insert manually when I'm recording videos, yet strangely when I start a new sandbox game it still plays the menuend sound file just fine while generating the world lol.. so weird! Anyway I tried this trick and while my exe did indeed say 81 in that slot too changing it to 80 sadly it didn't fix my weird sound issues sadly as clearly that's a different problem to you guys.

Last edited:
Top Bottom