Civ 2 mobile handheld device

diceman81

Chieftain
Hi all,

As we near 2013 is there any chance of being able to play Civ 2 on a mobile handheld device?

I know there were some posts on people playing it on iphone and psp, but nothing definitive and easy to setup.

Does windows 8 phone have any promise?!

Thanks

I suppose you'd sooner find some tuned-down version of civ4 or 5 for hh devices, civ2 frankly is too old.
Unless of course some dedicated player with the right set of skills decides to give it a try and ports civ2 for android maybe.
I'd opt for remote running. Set up a server that runs civ2 and connect to it via mobile device through remote desktop-kind of program, then simply send input and receive updates, either as small images or some instructions for local draw engine.

I don't see how you could possibly run civ2 properly on a handheld of any kind, considering game's rather inefficient engine resource-wise and multiple compatibility issues. On the other hand there have already been many modifications of game executable to make it compatible with newer systems, so I suppose it's just a matter of determination, skills and time. Everything is possible :)

you can even play Civ2 on windows 3.1 on your iPad,iPhone not for the faint-hearted though:

yesterday i play civ2 on psx4all emulator ( ps1 ) & Snes ( super famicom) in ipad3. it very good and sound is good

Depends on what you mean with "handheld".

The PSP for instance does have a PS1 emulator where you can run the PS1 version of Civ2, at least a ripp of the PS1 image. Though I dont know if thats is legit even *if* you own a legit copy of the game disc.

A PSX emulator plus a PS1 version of Civ2 for android might be an other alternative though I havent examined that field. The above caveat is valid in this case too.

A third possibility is to boot up FreeCiv (the clone) which DOES have an android port.

Depends on what you mean with "handheld".

A PSX emulator plus a PS1 version of Civ2 for android might be an other alternative though I havent examined that field. The above caveat is valid in this case too.

Revisiting this post after a number of years!

Above is Correct and best solution. I am playing PS1 civ2 on Android on the excellent epsxe app.

It works great, and the general game is the same. Fair enough graphics etc are not as good pc but due to work and family etc I just wouldn't be able to play otherwise.

So it is a solution (of sorts) and allows me to continue playing the game I so dearly love, on the go!

Yes, see the new topic I created on playing Civ 2 on an android tablet. Even my old Nook HD which was largely designed for reading ebooks can run Civ 2 with high stability.

It is possible for many folks to load a dos emulator, load a legacy windows OS like 3.11, then load Civ 2 from the internet archive...it just lacks the music and the media files. You still have the combat wavs and the initial music. Then you can stream music from an ap then switch back to Civ 2. I tried streaming from a youtube ap since there is so much music to select from, but soundcloud is very stable and uses less memory.

Top Bottom