• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Civ 3 GOTM#5 *Spoiler* talks

This game has a very sick sense of humor. It is 1360 AD and I have been fighting the Russians for longer than I can remember to get some salt and pepper. I had one of them but as soon as I got gunpowder, it was exhausted the same turn. Anyway, I have been fighting them and about 4 times I ran low on reserves so I made peace and got some techs. Then I broke the agreement within a few turns and started war again. I don't usually do this since it ruins my reputation, but I had no choice. I had to get salt and pepper or I was going to get clobbered by someone.

I finally broke through the choke point near Moscow and captured the city (which has salt and pepper right next to it). I have been paying off everyone to keep away from me so I could throw everything I had at Moscow turn after turn. Wouldn't you know it, but the turn right after I captured the city, I discovered a new salt and pepper source next to one of my larger cities in the middle of my territory. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

This time a strange thing happened to me:
In my game chilvary wasn´t discovered by anybody! Never seen this before...

This has occured in my game too. The civs have been researching far, far ahead on the tech tree (up to Banking last, I think) but no one has researched chivalry. I will get it in 10 turns (even though I've been going min science for the last 40 turns) at which point in time my horsemen will become knights and crush the Russians. They don't have any saltpeter for muskets, so you can imagine what's going to happen... :goodjob:

Maybe then I can get out of last place on the histograph! I won't have a good score when I win (eventually), but I'll be proud just to say I won this one.

It is 1500 A.D., I jump the palace to Houston, just north of Moscow. Finally, my economy is producing. Before I did the jump, I build the Forbidden Palace just west of old Washington to help my conquered Japanese cities. I switch to Republic--eight turns of Anarchy :p The French have four cities. I let them live. I may roll over them when I get Calvary.

That's the good news. The bad news is both Egypt and Greece are big and powerful. Both have Nationalism and Steam Power, and I am still researching Military Tradition. They both skipped Chivalry and Military Tradition. Egypt and Greece have a Mutual Protection Pact. I may try for some kind of peaceful victory. Sigh.

If I can get a stack of 30+ Calvary I may go for it, but I have to get them in place before Infantry shows up. Even 30 Calvary will be whittle down to nothing after taking five or six cities defended by Riflemen, and both Egypt and Greece each have about 15 cities and the MPP. Sounds like peace is a better option.

I am glad we did not get this map on Emperor level, or I could be a lot of trouble at this point in the game.

Died 1782, put it on the league table if you want Matrix, but I shan't bother to submit any saves.

French managed to build by the iron and horses too damn quickly (I am surprised other players got to the iron first without knowing where it was).

Nevertheless killed the French, but the time and effort was too great and the Russians attacked me to death over the next 3000 years.

After the first scout move I realized that starting spot is just too small (might be acceptable on tiny map, but not on small). So I've headed north. Mountains and hills, hills and mountains, time is ticking away and I still have no cities. Finally, I discover french, furs and cattle on the same turn. I build the capital and soon see Paris two squares away. After building couple of warriors I have to go for temple to "culturally" steal some land from french.
Few moves to the west and I meet Russians, who promptly declare war on me and send an invasion army of one warrior. I easily defeat it and asks for peace (I have french to fight), but russians want 80 golds. I build second city just to the west and another settler travels south to build a city on original starting spot. Still nobody sends armies, russian still want 80 golds and I still don't want to give them. After building dozen archers I capture Paris and another [useless] french city, but lose too much units and war stalls. I have to make peace with french and finally pay to russians. With 3 useful cities I build some more archers, make quick raid on russian razing one city and quickly build 2 more cities of my own. Now I am established, but my initial move to the north means that I don't have iron. French and russians have it and they have swordsmen too. I build dozen more archers and take iron away from french. Soon I capture their remaining 2 cities as well (neither of them is of much use) though french somehow appear on the very south west tip of the continent. Now I can build swordsmen and attack Russians. I have good relationship with other nations, but Russian managed to secure some alliances and soon I am fighting vs Russians, Egyptians, Greeks and French at the same time. However, I destory small egyptian force that landed on my continent, Greeks never bothered to send army, French are weak and far, so I quicky invade major Russian cities, but despite all these wars I still can't get GL which is definitely needed to make any use of Russian cities. War lasts well beyond the point I would like to, but I really need that leader. Finally I get him, quickly make peace with everybody, egyptian and greeks are again polite toward me (I gave them some luxuries and techs for free). FP is rushed in Moscow and empire is growing.
Now it's around 700AD and I own most of the continent. I suppose the game is already decided, now I need to decide whether to go for quick domination or develop empire for the high score or just stop playing.

Alex.

Wow, talk about horrible starting positions. One good thing about the GOTM though: since you know everyone else has the same bad luck, you can press on. Not like trying for HoF games at all.

I killed the french as soon as possible (300BC or so) by doing nothing but building archers and more archers. Then expanded for a bit, until I began to have border clashes with the russians. So we had a war that ended in me razing three of their cities and taking Minsk, essentially bottling them up.

At this point, I had an army and many swordsmen, so I shipped them all over to attack the japanese. Took 4 Japanese cities, plus their capital. Long time at peace followed.

After I got cavalry, attacked the russians, razing two three more cities, including their capital. Of course, the Greeks and Egyptians haven't had to go to war at all so far, and so are whipping my butt in score. So I decide to switch to Democracy and go 100% money. Raking in 300 to 600 gold per turn allows me to rapidly build my empire and buy all the tech I need.

Soon egypt attacks russia. Instead of joining them, I send in settlers behind their attacking force and take over as they raze russian cities. Soon the greeks attack the japanese. Since I was in a MPP, that means that I am at war again. I stall until I get tanks, then take out the entire japanese civ (~8 cities) in several turns. Now, I build many tanks and waltz through what the egyptians have left of the russians.

It's 1926 now, and there are only three of us left. I am third in score, but very rapidly catching up; first in tech; and I have the largest empire. I am MPP'd with the greeks, which allows for some stability: I'm not going to attack soon, the egyptians won't dare attack the two of us, and the greeks have nothing to gain by starting a fight with egypt. I would start a war with my massive number of tanks, but I don't have any navy at all, except for some transports, and the egyptians have four carriers and twelve battleships, plus smaller stuff. I'll be able to win this game, but I don't think that I can get a high enough score to win anything.

When I saw the starting position, I knew my settler is going to have to go on a stoll before settling down. I initially went north behind my scout, and when I saw the cow south-west of Paris, I just knew I had to put Washington there. I managed to settle before the Paris borders expanded, but I was so close that Paris still went right up to the city square. Luckily my scout met the Russians and they sold me ceremonial burial for cheap, so the very first thing I did in Washington is build a temple. Not long after that it was MY cultural borders that went right to the front door of Paris. For some reason, they only used a single warrior to defend it. I couldn't help myself; I just took it. Soon I had peace, and interestingly enough, the French couldn't even stay furious at me. Once Paris was mine, all they had was terrible terrain. Though I left them two cities, they were effectively dead before 3000BC.

Getting naval quickly is a big advantage in this game. I was shocked that Egypt stayed totally isolated until AD times--even though a simple galley could sail all the way there!

Oh, and what's up with those sweet pastures south of Greece which they refuse to occupy? BTW, those guys are wusses!

My game takes a nice turn. It is now 1595 A.D. I finish off the French with Calvary. I bribe the Greeks into a MPP. I send a single Longbowman against Egypt. Greeks declares war on Egypt, despite having a MPP with Egypt as well. I lack the forces to invade Egypt, and their navy is bombarding my improvements, but just starting the war is mission accomplished. It looks like clear sailing from here.

Wow, it seems like everybody else is having trouble with the Russians, but I guess I got lucky.

Having found the French right away (as there was only one way to explore), I quickly sent two warriors and captured Paris before they could found Orleans. They respawned in the eastern part of the continent and promptly started a war with the Russians. By the time I made contact with Catherine, she was down to only 4 or 5 cities. I watch the Russian cities fall one by one until they are down to three.

Meanwhile, I expand northeast and then then southeast, forming a large nation, second only to Egypt on the histograph. I build up an army of about 10 swordsmen and grab Kiev and Minsk from the Russians, then sue for peace as I am getting technologically behind, leaving Russia with only the capital of St. Petersburg. (Moscow is under French control.) It's currently about 1000 AD and everybody's about halfway through the Middle Ages - It looks like a technologically fast game.

I plan to get the rest of the world to turn against Russia, then I'll be revered as a hero when I take their last city. Conquest of France may lie in the future, but I will hold off on that until I can better evaluate their military strength.

My first post and first time playing this game above Chieftain level. It's 1600AD and I'm still in the game, but about 2 techs behind Russia/Japan/Egpyt/Greece - the latter two having entered the modern era. Even the Japanese who are slightly behind me on points (and friendly) are ahead on wonders and tech. The AI is just a prick with respect to trading.

The French got pasted from the Russians early on, and I grabbed a couple of cities, but after fighting a brief war have been appeasing them for centuries it seems.

I've got a couple of cities on Spice Island with the Greeks, and rushed a harbour to bring in Iron and Saltpetre.

I know I'm going to get crushed soon, and can't find a way to move up the tech ladder.

Anybody got any clues?

I'm finished too! I had a good game this month, the approach I took turned out very well.

In summary, with the advantage of hindsight, the key elements of the game as I played it were:
1) Careful management of the start position to squeeze every possible crumb from it.
2) A long initial build up to produce as many Horsemen as possible with the available resources.
3) Built a number of temples early to get a cultural lead. This was important because I wanted to capture towns later, not raze them. Razing requires settlers, and resources seemed too limited to produce them. High culture would allow capturing instead of razing.
4) Built up a big cash reserve. No research after some initial techs. Early exploration and carefully managed trade between the other tribes supplemented the income produced while not-researching. Buying slightly old techs was cheap (often just traded maps.)
5) As soon as other tribes had learned the prerequisites for Chivalry I bought those and researched Chivalry at top speed. Then I used the big cash reserve I'd built to upgrade the previous Horsemen production into Knights. I.e. I used the money to leverage the 30-shield Horsemen into 70-shield Knights, effectively doubling military production up to that date.
6) Sent the Knights on a Crusade before anyone could prepare for them. American culture far overshadowed everyone but Egypt. The Knights swept through one tribe after another, capturing towns. They greatly exceeded my expectations! After each victory, enough remained (with meager additions from the homeland) to continue the crusade to another tribe's land.

At the start of the game I produced some Swordsmen and Horsemen, and waged a war which nearly eliminated France. Losses during that war were high, especially when compared with early America's production. I didn't want to attack Russia the same way, losses would be even higher. That's when I started working on the approach which eventually developed as described above.

In the Crusade, I drove each tribe out of its homeland, giving them peace only when their government had fled to an island. First Russia, then Greece, then Japan, capturing all of their towns. Finally the crusade continued even to Egypt, razing the towns there because of their high culture. When the crusade finally ended after Egypt, I decided to play the game out for a cultural win. The date at that time was already well past a time when an early win bonus could outweigh playing it out.

Although the start position was very resource poor, the good thing about this map in the long run was that no tribe had a good start. France, Russia, and Egypt had slightly better starts than America but far from good ones. Japan had nice land but it needed irrigation and they had no water. Greece had a very nice bit of land but they developed it slowly. I suspect that their land was initially all jungle and that this delayed their start. If Greece were allowed time to build I think they could become a very strong rival on this map.

The rest of this note is a more detailed diary in case anyone is interested:

I settled Washington on the incense NW of the start position.

After the first bit of scouting I concluded that the start was very resource poor. Shield production would never be high. The best initial build seemed to me to be 3 towns south and east of Washington and 5 hill towns. (I actually ended up building 6, adding a forest town NE of the hills.) The towns near Washington would be on the 3 points of land. The one south of Washington would require a temple before it could utilize the whales. The hill towns would each reach a maximum size of two, working two hill tiles.

Building this many towns would be difficult because of our limited food supply. So the first thing I built in Washington was a granary. Micro-management of the 10 tiles which could produce 2 food each, between the four southern towns, was important for a long time.

I rushed improvements at critical times. When a town's happiness and current task permitted, and all food tiles were fully utilized (the town was not growing) I rushed something. Temples. (I decided fairly early that eventually capturing rival towns would be important. There was little capacity for building settlers for a raze and replace approach. So I built some early temples to get a culture lead.) Barracks in the hill towns. (A barracks costs 40 shields. A rush gets 39. The 2nd tile worked by a hill town got 20 shields in 20 turns. A size 1 hill town regrows to size 2 in 20 turns. So rushing a barracks at the right instant saves 19 shields.)

The scout got a settler from a goody hut east of France. The land there was barren so I sent the settler home to help the buildup there.

My research began with Alphabet. (I started on the sea-faring research path before realizing we were not alone on our land.) After Alphabet I switched to Bronze Working because the French were nearby, defense might be important. After that Ceremonial Burial because I wanted temples. Then I traded for Warrior Code and researched Iron Working - the terrain suggested that iron would be easier to find than horses. After learning Iron Working I saw iron in the hills. France did not yet know Iron Working so I didn't trade it of course - it was possible to secure the iron first with one of my early settlers. I started research on The Wheel. After discovering The Wheel (1750BC) I saw the nearby horses in one of the intended hill town tiles. Of course that became a priority for an early settler. After The Wheel I researched Writing and then Map Making. After that I traded a bit, getting Horseback Riding in one of the deals. That was it for research. After that I did little research for quite a while. (None at all that I remember until Chivalry.)

After learning Map Making I built a galley and it quickly discovered Japan. I bought her maps to find out where Greece was. (Didn't trade my maps nor buy contact with Greece.) The galley sailed on to Greece and established contact there. Since I had seen no other galleys exploring yet, I held back the contact between France/Russia and Japan/Greece for some time. During this time I controlled the trading of maps, profiting a bit from each exchange. My galleys contined to explore, discovering more of the world and then selling this knowledge for gold and tech. I eventually sold the tribes contact with each other. Hadn't seen another galley, but did not want to lose the opportunity to profit by the exchange. My galleys discovered Egypt. It was fortunate they'd been isolated - they were the strongest tribe, but technically backward due to their isolation. For some time I eeked out technology to Egypt for the highest prices they could pay. And continued to profit from my advanced maps with all tribes. Eventually I also sold contact between Egypt and the other tribes.

During the time of exploration, about 250BC, my first army of 8 Swordsmen and 8 Horsemen (all veterans) attacked France. The war was brief and decisive, we took all French towns except a young one north of Russia. But it was an expensive war, costing a number of our units.

After this war I made the most important decision of the game: I did not attack Russia. Losses in battle were too high compared with our ability to produce new units. I redoubled the efforts to produce Horsemen and stockpiled them. I waited for other tribes to discover the prerequisite advances for Chivalry. During this time I built up the treasury as described above. (Zero research, exploring, trading.) When the required techs finally became available I had a reserve of about 2000 gold! I traded for the latest techs and set research on Chivalry at 100%. When we learned Chivalry I had about 30 Horsemen, and enough money to upgrade 21 of them to Knights.

Then began the Great Crusade!

The 21 Knights (followed by more as additional Horsemen could be upgraded, and the occasional new one as towns very slowly produced them) sliced through Russia. Only 5 Knights were lost in this invasion. We captured the Great Library, which quickly revealed three techs and made itself obsolete.

I granted Russia peace after driving her off the continent, leaving her with just some island towns. As before with France, I captured all towns instead of razing. I began the occupation of each town by starving the population to one, using some of them to build a temple when there were enough. I brought a settler with the Knights to create a new town for our Forbidden Palace. But the war created no Great Leader. (Paris continued on its very slow build of a Forbidden Palace as the backup plan, just in case. Fortunately that was never needed, that project was eventually abandoned.)

Our Knights remain strong and want to continue their crusade. Greece has the finest land in the world. If we do not attack soon I expect she will grow to become the strongest tribe. Now is the time to strike. Our culture overshadows Greece, we should be able to capture towns and keep them again. The Knights return to Washington and are ferried to Egypt. (7 Galleys were ready at this point.)

The first wave of 14 Knights slices through the Greek defenses. Regular Hoplites crumble before elite Knights. More Knights follow the vanguard. A few Knights remain to guard the home continent. These guards amuse themselves by capturing the remaining French towns - France is no more.

When Greece has been driven entirely off its homeland I give it peace for some island towns and tech. Losses during this crusade were very light, just a few Knights.

Near the end of the crusade against Greece a Great Leader emerged. (At last! It took nearly 40 wins by elite units before this, our first leader, appeared.) I settle Las Vegas in the center of the prime Greek lands and build Forbidden Palace there. (The gods suggested this town be named Buffalo. I could not bring myself to agree with that choice for the new cultural center of our world. :))

At this point I decided to play out the game. The date was already too advanced for me to prefer an early win bonus.

Japan had recently learned Chivalry. I decided to attack before she could produce many Samurai. The Knights regrouped and began this crusade. They encountered only two Samurai, but these were costly encounters - four Knights died subduing those two fierce fighters. Other losses were light (two Knights I think) and Japan was driven out of her homeland. I gave peace when the Japanese government fled to an island town. Our elites won 16 more battles but no new leader emerged.

I switched to Monarchy at this point. After rushing temples in some captured Japanese towns it was time to put the whip away, to allow Las Vegas to truly blossom.

I did not expect the Knights to carry their crusade even this far, but a strong core of elite units remains! Egypt's culture is as high as ours and she is growing rapidly in strength. I have slowed her research a bit over time by selling luxuries to her at high prices. Egypt does not have Saltpeter nor Horses. 13 Knights, almost all elite, continue the crusade to Egypt. This crusade has two objectives: 1) Weaken Egypt sufficiently to remove them as a long term threat. 2) Secure access to wines and ivory for our people. Two settlers travel with the Knights. A few more Knights will follow in a second wave.

The first wave of Knights destroys Sun Tzu's in Egypt and then destroys their three strongest cities. A great leader emerged from the first fight. The settlers establish two towns and the Knights retreat there to heal. We lost only two Knights in this assault! After healing, the Knights continue the crusade. They seem unstoppable, razing town after town with few losses. Soon the Egyptians, like the Russians, Greeks, and Japanese before them, are driven completely out of their homeland and take refuge on an island. The crusading Knights again exceeded my expectations. I quickly produced some settlers to claim the now empty land.

The first great leader from the crusade in Egypt returned to Las Vegas and built Copernicus's Observatory. Because we had already acquired :))) the Pyramids from Japan, this caused a Golden Age to begin. Soon after building Copernicus's a third great leader emerged in Egypt. He, our last leader, went home to build Adam Smith's Trading.

After driving Egypt out of its land I did some careful counting - did not want to trigger a Domination victory again! I decided to reorganize our holdings a bit, abandoning some bits of tundra in favor of the more fertile Egyptian lands. I decided to leave the remaining remnants of other tribes alone and to go for a cultural victory. The other tribes would be allowed to claim what they could in the remaining barren parts of the world.

The remainder of the game was uneventful. After the Golden Age we became a Democracy. A long period of peace, prosperity, and growth followed. Las Vegas became the cultural, intellectual, and economic center of the world. Russia and Egypt had taken refuge on the same island and this eventually caused them to have a brief but inconclusive war. They grew a bit, settling small outposts elsewhere. Japan never recovered, she remained a single size two town on an island. Greece recovered best from our Knight's tender ministrations, eventually growing to take most of the two large SE islands. Amusingly, in 2048 Greece demanded that we supply her rubber. When I refused (not that it mattered in 2048 but I would not give in on principle) she declared war. She even convinced Japan to join her. Greece attacked one of our towns with about 5 Cavalry, who died in their senseless assault on our Mechanized Infantry. In my final 2049 save, America is at war with Japan and Greece. Although America's military is small, it is powerful, advanced, and has an airport network for high mobility. Suppressing the feeble Greek attempt at war would be trivial if the game were continued.

In 2050 America won a cultural victory.

I'm amazed that you are still alive in 1600AD if you've never played above Chieftan level before! That is no mean feat - the starting position is horrendously bad and some advanced "tricks" of micromanaging were needed to overcome the starting position. No offense, but there is probably little you can do by now to win the game - it's just too late. If nothing else, try to get the UN and maybe, just maybe, if you haven't irritated the other civs much, you can win a diplomatic victory. It's worth a shot.

Well, first ever GOTM and what a difference this is turning out to be. Totally peaceful! Apart from maybe a ten turn war with Russia which I was forced into by an ill judged MPP with France just after I'd got some cavalry.

It's 1800 I'm about to get computers, Egypt have just started MP and UN, Russia just completed HD. What a map, there are only two rivers as far as I can see, both deep in Ruskie territory, Moscow and Kiev, no chance Golden age for me then! Resources, what resources?

I've got about 10 cavalry, 20 Infantry, 2 artillery, 3 workers! (everything is developed!) 1 destroyer and three transports. In about 20 cities only three of which are over size 12. Oh yeh, one bomber.

Got a foothold on the Japanese island where three cities have defected to me, one right next door to the Japanese capital.

I've no oil, alumininum, or rubber! I got some footholds on Spice island (one Greek city defected within 2 or 3 turns of being built near a city with only a temple about as far from Washington as you can get!)

I've survived by trade and dipolmacy, at least everyone is polite or gracious, but I think Egypt will get the UN first.

I'd fight someone but who? The French were kicked out by Russia, they live on buying my Iron and Saltpeter every so often. The Japanese lands don't look worth the effort, no resources and one luxury I already have.

The Russians, well they've been marching about 100 cossacks, infantry and workers through my lands to their northen (ex French, I re-settled Paris). I'm not about to take them on now am I?

Greece, Egypt too far away (although neighbors on Spice Island, they have so little to take).

Aztecs died before I'd even met them.

And, normally I'm the one with troops coming out of my ears!

Two mistakes really. One, not building the FP on my own continent, I was saving it for a better position. I normally play larger maps than this. Two, staying republic for about 100 turns too long. I only learnt today that the length of anarchy is partially dependant on empire size, the corruption/worker benefit of Democracy would have really helps some time ago. I'd held off, reasoning that there would be a war to fight sooner or later.

Oh yeah, and the three stacks of 24 barbarian horsemen really made my day on Spice Island just as I settled it. Went for me as well, not the AI cities that were just colonizing, which then killed the camps for the money. Thanks guys.

I'll finish this game, don't know I'll get a victory but I might be there or thereabouts.

One more point. The French irrigated a desert square just west of those cows. Anyone know where the fresh water came from? And this was 1000 BC! Tell me Soren that this AI don't cheat!

Worst moments? Paying the Egyptians a fortune for Oil I'd built the road to allow them to export through my harbour (rushed at high cost) only for it to dissapear with 5 turns and end up with the Russians. Who've got everything already! Paying the Egyptians an absolute fortune for Rocketry to find the Aluminium so's I could build my UU (how's that gonna win a victory for a Golden Age?) to discover there is none anywhere near me and no-ones selling. Surprise surprise.

Best Moment. Reading this thread and seeing that y'all been having a fine old time of this one too! That Matrix is a sadist!

Originally posted by Chieftess
BTW, how do you successfully pop rush? And, how much time do you spend per turn? Or, atleast up to 10AD? I played about an hour up to 70 AD, when my defenses were finally breeched.
I pop rushed very carefully in this game :) Some general rules I use for rushing (like all general rules there are excexptions, but these are pretty good):
* I try to plan things so that the rush will be for as close to 39 shields as possible, while staying under that amount. Try never to rush 40 or more, build whatever is being worked on until < 40 are required, then rush. One exception to this is when I want to quickly reduce population in a captured town.
* Don't rush more than once per 40 turns. If you don't want to keep notes with dates as you go, you can check whether a town is ready again by comparing its happiness to what it ought to be, considering the luxuries and troops. Or if it has any unhappy citizens, click on them to see if they are still annoyed about your oppression. (Sometimes I move the military police out a step on a road, then check an unhappy citizen in the town to see its reasons, then move the police back in the same turn.) There are exceptions to this rule too but if you rush more often than once per 40 turns be very careful. :)

About time per turn: do you mean you spent an hour total up to 70AD? Sad to confess, I'm sure I'd spent a lot longer than that before I got past 3600BC :)

Thanks for that, yeh, I'm pretty surprised as well. I used to play a lot of CIV1, but this is only my third game in III.

I just concentrated on not pissing off anyone, working on trade and giving tribute where tribute is due. The lack of wonders is an obvious issue, as other civs are "disdainful" of my culture, although I have built a few libraries/cathedrals.

My cities are all too small to make building a wonder worthwhile. I'm also frustrated with the lack of leaders, even after winning loads of battles.

Might give the UN thing a go then.

Well I feel for you Radegast on the resource jumping - something that DEFINATELY needs to be removed in an upcoming patch - because it gave me some fits too. I was about to crush the Russians with my army of knights when all of a sudden I notice Musketmen in their cities. "But Russia doesn't have any saltpeter..." oh wait, some just jumped into their territory for no reason. There goes the last 20 turns of strategic planning in a random blip. The fact that a few turns later horses appeared in Russia too, letting them build Cossacks later, did not make things better. In fact, Russia has been getting all manner of resources during this game; they went from having practically nothing to 2 or 3 of everything. Kind of frustrating - and they're still alive 500 years later (terrible city infrastructure but a ton of those Russian Cossacks. When I get tanks... :soldier: :soldier: ).

I don't know how some of these games stayed peaceful. In mine the AI was aggressive both against me and against each other. They all declared war on Japan around 1300 and the feeding frenzy was on. Of course I jumped in and got almost all the land :D It's now about 1650, and I was prepping for war against Russia when out of the blue Egypt attacks me. And this when they were already fighting Greece! Looks like Cleo was going through the "Crazy Catherine" syndrome of random attacks. Her loss - now the whole world is against Egypt, which has been frankly crushing everyone else in culture. I was seriously worried they would win a cultural victory before 1900. Well, looks like they won't be around that long now :cool: Thanks to Theory of Evolution, Wall Street, and finally a decent amount of territory, I am starting to pull away from the AI in tech. The fact that they keep wasting their money on pointless warmongering doesn't hurt either. I've got discoveries down to 5-6 turns at a profit, something unimaginable earlier. The key in this game, as in most Civ3 games, seems to be surviving until railroads; even with smallest territory I had the highest overall production of any civ. That and on this map you have to take out France early (this sounds like GOTM4...) If I had done that better (I lost a lot of battles I should have won against them), I might have gotten into the lead before the mid-industrial period.

Dis anyone get any leaders? Have have gotten three up till now (about 1000 AD). They really saved the day. The first one build the great library just when every known civ had declared war on me (the Russians started of course). The second one allowed me to build a new palace in Paris which I had captured by then. The third is on his way to the continent southwest of Washinghton to build the forbidden palace there. I now have some hope of victory, although I haven't conquered a single Rusian city yet. I hope to deal a severe blow to my neighbours before they start pumping out cossacks.. A good thing the Russians aren't too smart because they build military units like crazy!

Originally posted by Alphons Rodulfo
Dis anyone get any leaders? Have have gotten three up till now (about 1000 AD). They really saved the day. ...

No leaders for me. Though, I am winning handily, it is 1725 A. D. now. I took out the Russians first in a long and costly war. The Russians attacked me despite my giving in to their outrageous demands. For that they could not be allowed to live.

I am in an end game with a long bitter war with Egypt, with Greece as my ally. Everyone else is dead. War Weariness is beginning to become a problem. I am behind on tech as Egypt just built Theory of Evolution, but Egypt has to fight two enemies. Victory is in sight, but my score is going to be average (like usual).

Did anyone/everyone else get trashed by barbarian horsemen in the late 200's AD? I did, and maan, it was UGLY! I built lots of settlers and was the first to make towns on the uninhabited islands, but I couldn't protect them from those stacks of 17 barbarian horsemen. All together, FIVE stacks attacked various outlying cities at a time when I had 2000 gold saved up from doing no science. I was at most two techs behind the lead, which I "safely" stole (hey, no reason to hand over my money to rivals), and the rest of the money just got taken by barbarians. Damn that was ugly!

Originally posted by spork
All together, FIVE stacks attacked various outlying cities at a time when I had 2000 gold saved up
Ooh, that must really hurt :sad: Nice move using the money to steal some tech though :)

FWIW I think there are number of ways to deal with barbarian camps and uprisings, a couple of which are quite effective.

First a few things about how they behave:
A) They only "spawn" in wild areas which are outside (I think with at least one additional tile between) any tribe's sphere of influence.
B) In those wild areas they never spawn within "sight" of a military unit.
C) I think that uprisings only start happening after a particular camp has been around for a while. I'm not sure of this but I haven't had an exception to it. It may even be that the longer the camp has been around, the higher the chance of uprisings from that camp.

So, ways I can think of to deal with them are as follows. (The only really good ones I think are 4 and 5, the others are short term measures when necessary.)
1) Just let it happen. This is not too painful when your treasury is low. In that case their damage appears to be limited to the town they hit. If your treasury is high letting them hit will really hurt, the little buggers know how much you have and take a percentage. Maybe there's a way to use it to advantage before they hit. (Like stealing tech, nice!)
2) Try to defend the town. Generally not practical in Ancient Times. I'd try this only if they were going to hit a hill town, and I could rush walls in it, and I could get a few Spearmen there within a couple of moves.
3) Get rid of the town. Give it to a rival. First drain it, e.g. rush a military unit or settler, sell improvements, and move any defender out of it, away from the barbarian uprising if you know where that is coming from.
4) Stop barbarian camps from appearing. Place guards in the wild areas so that all territory is visible. Use hills and mountains to advantage for this of course. This is great when milking an end game.
5) This last one is the best I think. Have a guard (or guards if it is large) patrol the wild area. In my experience, if the guard visits every part of the wilds every few turns, uprisings won't happen. Camps will appear but now they are revenue opportunities, 25 gold every time! Single barbarians may sneak past the guard so it is good to have a Spearman defender in the nearby town. If the wilds are near a core area, Horsemen make good patrol units. On a remote island I would prefer a Swordsman. Horsemen run a risk of being killed by a lucky barbarian. Replacing one at a remote outpost might take too long, better to use a stronger Swordsman unit there.

Top Bottom