Civ 3 GOTM#5 *Spoiler* talks

You missed a fun thing to do with uprisings SirPleb:

Once upon a time I had a tiny little empire overshadowed by the large and rich romans. While travelling in the wild with a horseman, I ran across a huge stack of barbarians. So I led them using my horseman as bait away from my town, and towards one the romans had just built. It was most satisfying to see their bank account deflate rapidly.

Just finished my first ever GOTM. Just eeked out a victory over those Egyptians & Russians. A few games on Emporer 1.17f style sure prepared me for this tough affair. Here are some of the "highlights":

I was lucky to have just beat out France for the early Horses & Iron (if not, it would've been a quick defeat). France was then resource-less & a pushover for my mighty swordsmen & horses.

In the meantime, Russia had pretty much soaked up the better half of our island & right after the French war, declared war on me. I was able to fend them off & grab a city but my forces were not strong enough to fend off their longbows. I did get 2 leaders from that war but had to beg for mercy. Staying in despotism all along, I didn't see much of a need to switch because the land was so poor. I grabbed some techs off the French for peace & the rest came so cheaply.

Leader #1: FP in Paris for a nice & close production centre. Leader #2 was used to rush Copernicus back in Washington. Looking back, not sure how smart this was, but I already had the Hanging Gardens & wanted to trigger a GA. I switched from Despotism to Monarchy just before GAing.

Where next? I was tied for third with Japan behind Russia, Egypt, & Greece. I didn't want to mess with Russia & their Cossack/potential GA. So, staying in Monarchy while everyone else was Republic/Democracy, I sent a couple herds of cavalry off that surprisingly wiped up Japan before they could set up their riflemen. I then decided to press my luck & was able to take most of Greece's homeland with some help from a short War-Time economy.

So now that I was rapidly climbing to the top, I got a little too comfortable & switched to Republic. That was definitely a poor move. Without a very great Palace/FP location, my research never really took off. Russia & Egypt were racing off to a spaceship victory. I declared war on Russia & got Egypt to join in to try to wreck them. I razed Moscow which destroyed their spaceship & Egypt switched to Communism for a while. But that wouldn't hold them off for long so I rushed my spaceship along and finally won in 1912.

My lessons & observations from this game:
- I made a big mistake early: I first declared war when France asked me to leave their territory (I had no ROP). That move hampered my relations with everyone else the rest of the game :( Not recommended. Perhaps you can safely start wars by declaring while none of your troops are in?

- I had no Coal or Rubber of my own until taking it from the Japanese & Greeks. Even then, they were my only 1 source. I was able to trade for some as Russia was kind enough and I had extra luxuries. However, it was all fair - France had no resources in their short history & Greece lived without iron for the longest time (good thing they had the Hoplite!). Also, Egypt didn't have any saltpeter until the modern age! Resources were definitely the key in this game.

- I was able to keep some civs broke by getting gpt for extra luxuries & resources. I kept a 0% science & luxury until the late Republic switch. Using the Military Police, most of my cities were in WLKD & were ok productive-wise.

- I got pretty lucky wrt generating Leaders. Though I never got to use my last one (generated in the Moscow razing) I did get those 2 early ones when I needed it. Funny how they were only generated against Russia (something about America vs. Russia...). But I was always wondering what my empire would look like if I moved my palace to Kyoto.

- Absolutely 0 wars outside of my own meddling above. Not sure why. Pretty boring game, really.

- A moderate effort on building culture meant that I kept most of the cities I captured. Really handy as the Japanese & Greek towns came fully stocked (esp the Japanese towns which were close enough to be rather productive)!

- I think I would've been happier staying in Monarchy & being a pest the rest of the game. Then I could've launched a big enough assault against Russia & Egypt to dominate better. In the 1.17 games I've played, the AI has been harder to beat scientifically than militarily.

- Not sure how you guys beat up on the Russians. They had so much open land, all the resources, & were a little out-of-reach for me.

Edit: just thought of one more thing I did this game:

- I built tons of coal plants for the first time since I didn't have any rivers for the Hoover or even Hydro plants. Not bad at all. Great production bonus & a lot earlier than other plants. Not much extra pollution as it went from about 2 to 4 per city & had tons of workers (industrious, no less) with nothing else to do by this time. I'd fully recommend them if you don't get Hoover. Even if you are getting it, getting a few of these before would likely still save you some work. Even if you want solar or nuclear down the road, get the coal - it'll save you work on building these, which come so late!

Originally posted by Sparrowhawk
So I led them using my horseman as bait away from my town, and towards one the romans had just built.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
That's so funny! I am so looking forward to doing this when I get a chance, thank you!

Originally posted by chiefpaco

- Not sure how you guys beat up on the Russians. They had so much open land, all the resources, & were a little out-of-reach for me.

In my game the Russians attacked me around 10 B.C., just as I was ready to war with the French. I allied with the French and their 10+ archers helped a great deal in the war. My war was long and bloody, lasting about 50 turns, but the progress was steady. Two civs against one, almost always wins in the early game.

SirPleb had the best plan, taking France early with swordsmen. Saving his gold and building horsmen, and trading his way up to Chivalry then rush researching it. Use the money to upgrade the Horsemen. If you read his story, it is 21 Knights in the first wave and Russia never had a chance.

Finished, Space Race victory 1955 1653 points :( (actually, Russia got a score in the 1800's so I didn't 'win' but I won. Can I count the Russian score instead?)

Following on from previous post, inbetween I'd discoved that the Manhattan project was an Industrius wonder (Thanks Civfanatics!). So I got computers as quick as possible, begged stole and borrowed Fission and built Manhattan in the Capital. Now a late game Golden Age is a wonder to behold, even in my very weak global position. Got SETI, Apollo, Battlefield Medicine and half the spaceship finished before it was over. Also managed to build something of an army and some nuclear deterrent, not a lot but sufficient.

With the extra money I'd negotiated Rubber, Oil and Aluminum but thanks to a war between Russia and Greece an unexploited Oil became free on the western southern island. Didn't last that long, had to go back begging to the Greeks for some more.

Saw something I'd never seen before. One of my cities defects to the Russians, but the Russians didn't want it so I kept it! Got a library built there double quick after that!

By the time the GA's over I still need supercondutor, ecology, synthetic fibres and the laser to complete the spaceship and post GA these are taking 6-8 turns to research. Egypt seems to be my main rival in the Space Race and they're the ones supplying me with Aluminium. Risky, if they pull the plug I'm shot.

Now, Japan are weak but have been faithful allies for years. The French are very weak, and only cling on in the southern islands but have been faithful allies for even longer. But, Japan has some aluminium. And I've got ROP with Japan but Japan and France have an MPP. Sorry Mates! An assault on France will net me all of Spice Island (just about, the Russians have all but killed the Greek presence there). Japan will be forced to declare war, and guess what is sitting ouside 4 of their 5 remaining cities. You guessed it, my armies!

Now, at this point its midnight, and my flatmate walks in with his girlfriend, a litre of vodka and various other stimulants and insist that I join them. Be rude not too! 2am they dissappear (wonder why that was?) so the war was progressed fueled by the best part of half a litre of vodka!

Needless to say Japan and France cease to exist (well France has one city in the middle of Egyptian territory), I've got me Aluminium and Egypt ain't getting no luxuries from me no more. Nor saltpeter! I got a few elite mech infantry in the bargain but no leaders of course. This was the only war I'd fought (apart from the few turn involvement with Russian cossacks 400 years before). These three elites proved worth their weight in gold later!

Throughout this Russia is supplying me with rubber for spices and 2 gold a turn, What a steal!

Still, get to synthethtic fibres and kick start the three components with some ICBM prebuilds. St Loius, in the middle of Spice Island is kicking out 88 shields per turn! At one point this was a totally corrupt city, but the FP built at great length really paid off down there.

The laser is looking at six seven turns to research so I set off a few MA , upgrade my tanks and sit back to wait for the victory.

Nerve wracking wait though. Egypt is more or less on level terms but doesn't have synth fibres so I know I'm gonna be alright, and one turn after we get lasers we launch. Also haven't a clue about the Russians they are by far the biggest, they've got Hoover Dam and various other wonders so must be an industrial powerhouse. I don't wanna give them Synth Fibres either.

Unusually for me, not every city has a barracks, so bearing in mind the peaceful nature of the game I shuffle things around for the upgrade.

Russia demands Synth Fibres, I really don't want a war with two or three turns remaining so I give in to their demand. Bastards then attack! They take out and raze New Orleans, which replaced Paris and is now a size 20, 80 production powerhouse. They launch a massive assault on Seattle (down near the chokepoint) which we just manage to hold on too thanks to those 3 elite mechs from the Japanese war. We destroy wave one, capture Marseilles on the south side of the choke and form a line on and around the border fortifications built around Seattle some 50 years before.

By the way, modern industrious work kick! I don't think I ever had more than 10 the whole game, and these were often sitting around idle waiting for pollution. I'm chopping down the forests in tundra and replanting it just for something to do!

So now I can't replace any MA or Mech Inf, they've cut off the rubber and as they're the only ones with any to spare.........

Fortunately, some are still in production just about to roll out of the factory (nice, Stalingrad reversed!). I ramp Science up to 90% to finish the laser in time and I've just enough cash to allow the other 10% to go into luxury spending to cover the war weariness. I bribe the others into declaring war on Russia, sell everything I've been denying Egypt and try to hold out. The one and only time I ever spent anything on Luxury.

The other areas of the Empire are either safe, unimportant or have enough free troops to go on the counterattack.

They nuked Seatlle! Took out half the army with that and the assault, but the wasteland slowed them down and that's as far as they got. But, it dropped the laser out another turn. More nerves as no way could I get a spy into Moscow.

We retaliated, in spades. Nuked my 'own' city, so what, it was only Seattle (sorry Bill, if the ruskies didn't get you I will!). Recaptured it, took out and razed the northern chokepoint city (Sverdlosk) and split their Northern ex french lands to get rid of some the bombers that were carpet boming Boston and Philedelphia. (well six out of about fifteen but it helped.) This attack was another first, a 1HP MA took out the last defender, a desparate gamble if ever I made one. And justly so, they got promoted to elite for their pains. Me, I think they should have got a medal as well! We brought them back to Washington to get their just rewards from a grateful female population :D

Dropped ICBM's on Moscow and Kiev and nuked the battlefleet cruising the southern ocean. Egypt finished that off for us, about the only thing they did. Still, thy didn't blame us for the retaliation though I was a little nervous. Probably because it wasn't first strike.

Two turns later it's all over, I'd even overbuilt the last component for safety's sake.

All in all I have to say one of the most enjoyable games I've played. So different from my usual style, this one actually felt like a race at the end. Thanks Matrix, I reckon it was the map that did it.

Originally posted by BillChin

SirPleb had the best plan, taking France early with swordsmen. Saving his gold and building horsmen, and trading his way up to Chivalry then rush researching it. Use the money to upgrade the Horsemen. If you read his story, it is 21 Knights in the first wave and Russia never had a chance.

You're probably right. My early army was mostly swordsmen and therefore not upgradeable (maybe a hangover from playing my last game as Persia). Russia's longbows & pikemen weren't too scared.

PS, Radegast, your game sounds vaguely familiar to mine - without the crazy nuclear action :nuke: :)

I have a question for everyone: Did anyone see any high level barb units? I only saw the usual warriors and horsemen even late into the game. Did thay take that out when they took away armies from goody huts? Or is it because most units require some resource? No, spearmen and longbowmen should show up. I guess they took it out.

In my game the word of the day is backstab! The effing Greeks raze one of my cities in 1808. I have a Mutual Protection Pact and am on gracious terms with them! What a crock.

It takes a while, but I am making them pay dearly. A small detachment of two infantry and one Calvary cut off their rubber and pillage all the squares around their capital. The Greeks lack bombarb units to chip away at my infantry. I only have enough force to take two cities in the first war (Calvary vs. Infantry). The second war with tanks (1862) is going much better. Effing Greeks you will pay for your treachery. This makes two games in a row that a Civ that I have a MPP with attacks me.

I ally with Egypt (imagine that after I fought against them in the last war). Egypt losses its tech lead as it changes to Communism to deal with the endless war weariness. I am still in Republic and at 10% luxuries to help with the war weariness. Bombers are coming on line soon, so the Greeks are not long for this world.

Originally posted by Aeson

Then I turned my gaze back on the rich (relatively speaking) lands of the French. My few remaining Russian expedition forces doubled back and combined with the newly produced Horsemen from the south, made short work of the remaining French cities. I allowed the French to keep 1 isolated tundra city at least until Knights showed up. Once I had finished, I switched to a Republic and disbanded all my Swordsmen. Only 3 Horsemen had survived the fighting (I hadn't produced many), and I kept them around to upgrade later. I found it was faster and cheaper to not do any researching, just buying up techs everyone else had already.

I was reading Aeson's story here & was thinking about the last sentence of this paragraph (this was part of his first post in this thread). Has anyone has considered the long-term effects of buying vs researching techs? I know buying is faster and often cheaper, but how about the long-term effect of forking over money to your opponents? Researching also-known tech is pretty cheap too. Just wondered if anyone played this way...

I was reading Aeson's story here & was thinking about the last sentence of this paragraph (this was part of his first post in this thread). Has anyone has considered the long-term effects of buying vs researching techs? I know buying is faster and often cheaper, but how about the long-term effect of forking over money to your opponents? Researching also-known tech is pretty cheap too. Just wondered if anyone played this way...

On this particular map, because of the necessary early wars and poor terrain, I found it much better to sit back and buy tech, because it took me a while to get any sort of infrastructure. Actually, what I first tried to do was 50/50 tech/$, but that just put me behind in both. It wasn't until the beginning of the modern age that I went to 70 science and sprinted ahead of the AI. Normally, on a good map, I can keep 3 or 4 techs ahead if I try, which is what I normally prefer since it gives me an advantage militarily and a head start on wonders.

As for giving the AI thousands of $ for tech, I don't know that it helped them much. I was busy selling several luxuries to them for 32$/turn each, so the $ just came right back to my pocket.:D

Right. Well, I have a lot to learn about Civ3. Down by the iron , you say. I thought "plenty of time for iron later". So I built north up above Paris. The french sent in warriors, I told them to get the smeg out of my lands or declare war, and they declared war. Then they annihilated my spearman, wiped out New York, and I quit in disgust.

I suppose maybe I should try it again, although I can't submit the second one, can I, and I'm damned if I'm submitting the first (deleted the autosaves in a fit of pique, anyway).

Now I'm trying to remember what level I actually won on last. Maybe it was only Prince. Damn.

Question about ICS - how close do you build your cities? one square away from each other, next to each other, two squares away, what?

What other acronyms are there? I know OCS is one city challenge, what about the others?

ICS isn't really defined in Civ3 as any particular spacing pattern. I tend to see it as building cities close together, not worrying about what size the cities can end up becoming. I probably had ~100 cities at the end of the game, and only a handfull of them had needed hospitals/mass transits, some not even aqueducts.

Here is a thread over at Apolyton that defines many of the acronyms and terms that show up on the Civ3 boards.

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=40525

Originally posted by AustralianJerem
So I built north up above Paris.

I don't mean to be hyper critical and maybe it is just me, but with the starting position, north of Paris seems like the worst possible place to build a city, especially the second city. The land is crappy, no chance of defense, far from the capital (high corruption), no resources (vs. the very valuable iron). Why not build a city by the cow south of Paris (maybe you did and north is a typo)? Or by the game icon to the east of Paris? Or at the iron? All of these are closer to the capital, easier to defend, and have better terrain. If you won on Prince (Regent) using these kind of tactics, you must have some other good tactics to make up for poor city site selection.

City site selection is one of many things that make for a successful game. I suggest that struggling players build their first cities very close to the capital, one square away on the diagonal or two squares away on the straight. A dense industrial core of three cities makes for easy defense and a big early production boost.

This month's map is unforgiving, so this start may not be enough to win, but it is almost sure to survive through the first age. The starting build queue that I prefer is three warriors then a settler, three more warriors and another settler. This may not always be the optimal start, but it is a good base for struggling players to build off. I usually plant the settlers very close to the capital then decide what to do next. On most maps, next, involves getting iron and horses then building an army for war.

chiefpaco, I reckon the Ruskies nuked me because I was drinking English vodka!

Is there any way we can see the other players games, see how they were different/similar to our own?

I too had lots of coal plants, because none of my cities got really large pollution was not too much of a problem. I've rarely built them in the past, usually I'll get the Hoover Dam. Personally, I think this is one of the most powerful wonders of the lot it gives such a production kick if you've got the factories already in place. Without the attendant pollution.

What I missed out on here was not building solar plants in those cities where I could not put a nuclear plant. But normally, ecology comes because I need mass transit to combat pollution and by the time these are built then I'm wanting to produce Modern Armour in bulk.

This ime, pollution wasn't a real pain I'd have been better off building the solar plant and scrapping the coal plant (which I forgot to do in the few cities that could build nuclear plants). I missed that opportunity because most most have far more rivers than this one, and I'll always try to settle near water if I can.

Hindsight shows that I need to be more flexible in my longer term strategy(s). I always beeline for electronics and Hoover Dam. This time I forgot about the river requirment and it was only when I could build it that I realised I couldn't. And I'd used TOE to rush the relevant techs which might have been better used in a different direction.

My normal game setting is Emporor with large of hug maps and 12 to 16 civs. So a samller map and 'easier' level should have altered my early strategy, but I was still playing to the emporer hapiness penalty, my settler cities should have been occilating between 4 and 2, not 3 and 1.

Switched to democracy too late, anarchy was longer because I had more cities and the corruption ease (even if only a few gold/shields a turn) would have been a big help. Also 5 turns lost in 1500 is less of a cost than 5 turns in 1800.

But I stayed a republic because that's what America is, and because I was expecting more war than I ever got embroiled in.

This GOTM actually saw me get some early wonders, very unusual. Colossus by default, was trying for the library but was beaten to it so took second best.

Sistine Chapel which really surprised me as I've never won that race before. But I suspect that this was because the start location for Washington was actually nicely balanced once it had been developed. Sufficient overproduction of food to allow the population for expoitation of the surronding hills and mountains.

Another thing I did a lot of which I normally don't was swithcing land usage. Frequently I start with irrigation, switch to mines, switch back to irrigation and even occaisionally replant forests. All to the same tile. Again late game industrious workers are quick!

Looking back, I think that purchasing a French worker on what was almost the first contact with them gave a great boost to the early infrastructure. During the land grab phase it's very difficult to produce your own, settlers are the priority so the additional worker, even though somewhat slower did help. And it must have hindered French development as well, I'd never sell off a worker that early for ~20 gold.

Well I'm in 1750 AD and about to crush the Egyptians. Greeks, French and Japanese only have one town and the Russians have three size 2 towns in Tundra and not growing.

The French and Russians were easy to control through early attacks and control of resources. I then decided to make an alliance with the Greeks and attack the Japanese and grab their resources as quickly as possible.

When I had the Japanese on their knees and about to start a war with the Greeks, the AI decided to cheat:
1- Besides me, the Egyptians were the only one with a coal source and I was the only one with saltpepper. Nevertheless, Egypt was producing masses of Ironclads and selling its coal source to both the Japanese and the Greeks. And Everybody was producing riflemen:confused:
2- After crushing the Greeks and Japanese (By now they only produce archers) I went for the Egyptians with a huge naval and terrestrial army. After conquering the third Egyptian town, half of my army vanished in smoke when the citizens decided to depose me. I thought that problem had been fixed with the new patch:cry:
3- I bombed a town with 10 artillery and 5 Ironclads and to my surprise they all failed. Not even a scratch

Thank God it's Monarch level. And thank you MATRIX it was a good strategic game. The secret lies in grabbing all the resources as fast as you can. Forget science, you will catch them later.

Has anyone has considered the long-term effects of buying vs researching techs? I know buying is faster and often cheaper, but how about the long-term effect of forking over money to your opponents? Researching also-known tech is pretty cheap too. Just wondered if anyone played this way...
I've been thinking about it. I don't think I have the "final word" but here are my thoughts:

What is a tech worth? Any tech can be researched in 40 turns at 10% (or the minimum percentage that gives at least 1 gold for research).

Early in the game, usually this means that you can research a tech for 1 gold per turn, or 40 gold total. That's all those early techs are worth, and you can often buy them for even less.

However, if you want to speed up research, even a little, you pay "full retail." Here's how to calculate it:

When you have just selected a tech to research, play with the science percentage slider on the F1 screen. Note two things each time you move the slider: The number of turns to research, and the amount of gold devoted to science. Multiply these two numbers to get your total cost for the tech in gold. The total will change slightly with each percentage. The lowest number you get will be closest to the actual cost. The earliest techs run in the range of 110 gold (if memory serves).

You can usually completely recoup the cost of researching a tech if you can sell it three times (at greater than 10% research). I consider this coming out ahead - you've gotten it "for free." If you sell it twice, your overall cost is about the same as if you researched it at 10% research or purchased it on the used market.

So, it follows that the same applies to the AI. Unless the AI can sell a tech 3 times, they haven't really gotten ahead by the sale.

In many cases, you can buy a tech from more than one civ. I would tend to buy it from one that is nearly broke.

In most cases, different AI's will be the first to research different techs, and I believe they will slosh funds around trading among themselves - the money just gets passed back and forth. A tech trading cartel helps all the members without much money (net of all trades) actually changing hands. It's very damaging to be omitted from such a cartel.

Controlling a tech cartel seems to me to be hugely important at the beginning of the game. The way to control it is to be the middleman - two or more civs have contact only via you. A civ that controls a cartel - either the player or the AI, stands to make a lot of money. This control ends immediately when all the civs meet.

Many of the techs that permit wonders usually are not for sale in a time frame that permits you to build the wonder, at least from my observations. So, you'll just have to research, steal, or demand those, or forego building that wonder.

What this means to my playing style is this: I will usually set science research at one of three levels - 0% (count on buying what I need), 10% (figure that strategically need the advance, and have determined that 40 turns out is ok, so I don't want to depend on being able to make the purchase), or max that I can afford (when the advance(s) are going to immediately make a big impact on the game).

Full disclosure: I've still not made a really good Civ 3 score (yet!) - I'm a former Civ 2 player.

Well, I'm done, my very first GOTM! It was also my very first game using a patch, and it took a while to get used to the differences. This is a spoilers thread, so make sure you're ready for some.

In general, I think this game went well. I learned a few interesting strategies in this one. I walked the settler to a better starting position and took Paris very early, helping myself to a rather productive homeland. I quickly made peace with the French (I didn't want their other towns) and turned my swordsmen on the Russians, who declared war on me after I refused to be intimidated by them. This was an ugly war, and after I took several of their poorly-defended towns, they wanted a truce and were willing to give me some of their own territory. I took it, but then re-attacked and finished them off not long after 10 AD. I finally got a leader, who built a Forbidden Palace, and now my civilization was a production machine.

Unfortunately, as the Russians were going down they pulled in the Greeks and the Japanese on their side. Their attacks were feeble, but the swordsmen who defeated Russia would never pull off a raid of another continent. There just weren't enough. I eventually got peace with Greece, but I kept up my war with Japan. I took the city (in my game "Eto") just east of the starting position. It was right on the coast, and very easy to defend. This became the focus of most of the skirmishes for about the next 20 turns, and swordsmen who shipped in from the forme Russian front held it heroically. This produced another great leader, who immediately built the Lighthouse, which turned out to be an incredibly useful wonder in this largely naval game.

During these skirmishes I made a very odd strategic play: I found I had a ton of money, and I needed a huge army of swordsmen fast. So, I decided to destroy my own road to the iron mine. This meant that I could build warriors again. Most of my productive towns had barracks, and they cranked out a warrior every two turns. Very soon, I was knee-deep in veteran warriors, while my old-timer swordsmen were holding off the Japanese. I arranged for Greece to attack Japan from the south, which gave them a bit more to worry about. Then, I rebuilt the road and upgraded about 25 veteran warriors into veteran swordsmen. This barely made a dent in my treasury. The first action of the fresh swordsmen was a three-galley raid on Tokyo. Though it was not the capital, it was by far the most important Japanese city, because it was well developed and had Japan's only source of iron. After Tokyo fell, Japan lost the will to fight, and my swordsmen mauled them. They begged for peace and I gave it to them, after picking up three of their cities in the deal and leaving them only one (very crappy) town.

While the battle of Japan was raging, I was so proud of the mass upgrading idea that I thought I'd do it again. I had my sights on Greece, but I thought they'd be much tougher than the Japanese. We were on the brink of the Middle Ages and I knew the Swordsmen couldn't do this job alone. So, while fighting Japan, my cities produced only horsemen, who all stayed at home. Again, I made it up to about 20. I got all the prerequisites for Chivalry from the poor Japanese as a part of our peace deal. In fact, I got almost all of my techs from peace deals. I wasn't going to wait around for Chivalry, though. I actually did research, and for five turns I was losing something like 70 gold each turn. But, at the end, I was able to upgrade all those horsemen. Well, not all of them, because here I did run out of money. At 80 a piece, this upgrade had to be done somewhat gradually. I first did about a dozen, and they blitz-attacked two Greek cities on the first round of an unannounced war. Forming a second front, the swordsmen that destroyed Japan came in from the north. The Greeks didn't know what hit them, and they got sliced up in only a few rounds. Their capital moved to an island colony, and that was their only town. In one of the last battles of this war I got a third great leader, who built the Hanging Gardens and set off a golden age. I was hoping to finish off Egypt before the it ran out.

Egypt turned out to be a much tougher affair, partly because I had no town on their continent that I could pack with my troops. It's tough to storm a continent from two-person galleys, but I had enough of them to pull it off. I caught them just as they started making pikemen, but about half of their city's defenders were still spearmen. Egypt actually had the sense to build barracks before building their pikemen, and they defended valiantly. At least four knights fell at the battle of Thebes alone, and many more were hurt. Eventually, I took all their towns. I know I should have razed them, because it looked at this point that I was headed for an early conquest victory. I let them stand, though, and several of them reverted back to Egypt at very annoying times. What complicated the battle was the fact that Egypt was furthest along in island colonization, and I had to ship divisions of knights to all of these places. I should have planned this out a bit more. The knights ended up doing a lot of waiting for galleys.

Then, I had to deal with the annoying "whack-a-mole" behavior that you get when you destroy somebody's last town. As far as I know, this didn't happen before the patch, and it seemed really random to me at first. Then I figured out that everyone has one free resettlement before they're wiped out for good. I'm sure that's in a FAQ somewhere, but if I would have known it, I would have acted differently. I was hoping to finish before year 1000, but I didn't--this random stuff had me going until 1080. I got a nice score bonus, but I'm sure many people will do better than 5150.

I won't officially submit the game, or, if I do, it needs a disclamer. I realized after I started that I had been cheating, because I reloaded a couple of times when I screwed things up. The only reload that would have made an important difference in how the game turned out had to do with the barbarian uprising. It caught me totally unprepared and I lost all of my precious gold that I was saving to upgrade my troops. This was my first GOTM, and I guess I just like to reload sometimes. I'll try it next month with no reloading at all.

I took a little different strategy than most posts that I've read. Once I had met all of the Civs, and had their maps, I plotted my first invasion. I chose Japan for these reasons.

1. Their land was close to my capitol & I could ferry armies over there quickly.
2. My Military advisor told me that their army was weaker than mine
3. Their land was much better than the French lands. The grasslands near Japan and Greece borders are PRIME REAL ESTATE.

So I invaded them. It started out slow, but I eventually took all of their land and eliminated them.

Of note, to keep my homeland safe, I allied with France. This worked out very good because France pretty much kept Russia off of my back.

I jumped my capitol to the rich Japanese lands. On another message board, I beleive it was BillChin who discovered that the capitol always jumps to the city with the most nationals of your country. Thanks BillChin, it worked for me!

My next focus will be to take out the Russians. I won't be able to do it alone, so I'm going to have to buy some alliances.

Originally posted by Magnum

When I had the Japanese on their knees and about to start a war with the Greeks, the AI decided to cheat:
1- Besides me, the Egyptians were the only one with a coal source and I was the only one with saltpepper. Nevertheless, Egypt was producing masses of Ironclads and selling its coal source to both the Japanese and the Greeks. And Everybody was producing riflemen:confused:
2- After crushing the Greeks and Japanese (By now they only produce archers) I went for the Egyptians with a huge naval and terrestrial army. After conquering the third Egyptian town, half of my army vanished in smoke when the citizens decided to depose me. I thought that problem had been fixed with the new patch:cry:
3- I bombed a town with 10 artillery and 5 Ironclads and to my surprise they all failed. Not even a scratch

1- They aren't cheating: riflemen don't require any resource.
2- That's not a problem, it's a feature. The latest patch allows you to keep the city with a LARGE military force. But it's a VERY large military force, based on a complex calculation.
3- That's another feature of the patch: the city bombardment defense was doubled.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by ACM
1- They aren't cheating: riflemen don't require any resource.
2- That's not a problem, it's a feature. The latest patch allows you to keep the city with a LARGE military force. But it's a VERY large military force, based on a complex calculation.
3- That's another feature of the patch: the city bombardment defense was doubled.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1- You are absolutely right. I thought you need saltpeter to have rifleman. What I can't understand is why the AI keeps throwing longbowmen after me if they can produce riflemen (same attack but 6 defense).
2-I had around 15 cavalry and 5 infantry in a size 1 town. If 20 american soldiers are not enough to control one enemy citizen, then I suggest that they send their entire army to Guantanamo Bay. This revolt also cost me the loss of 10 artillery and a few ironclads.
3- This is more than double defense, it's a joke. I have always used artillery in previous games, but with the new patch I believe they are useless.

I think I'm going to read more about the 1.17f. I'm an Emperor level player and this was my first game with the new patch.

Top Bottom