Civ 3 Worth it If I've got Civ 4

The Thracian

Warlord
I've been thinking of getting civ 3 complete as I've played civ 4 and loved it but is it worth it and also what differences are there between civ 3 and civ 4 eg. events, gameplay, AI.

I would get it for the user-created stuff here. Some of them are so good its amazing.

Yeah, I'd say it's worth it.

They're different games, so don't think you're getting the same game. But it's 'established' where Civ4 is just starting to get there, and has some awesome mods out there. Rise and Rule, for example.

Civ3 = easier-on-the-eyes graphics, more simple, but nicer. :D

but like Turner said, they are very different games.

Ya go for it man. You can't lose with that package. Civ Complete is perfection shipped in a shiny box. Fully patched, it flosses some of the best Mods ever to date. ex:, The Balancer Reloaded, its like a 3rd expansion, 100 complete. includin 1000 pedia entries, 600 plus units, its a nice add on.
also you get see 31 amazingly redone leaderheads in Anno Dommi, a full 4 era epic that centralizes on the ancient and early middle age times.(Most peoples favorite eras)

Lets not forget the in game mods desighned by the Fire Axis crew. Some of coolest challanges Ive ever faced, with all new imprivoments, music, and fresh new resources including tropical birds!

In the event your up for a new challenge, you can always try a Massive Epic.
You can't beat the Giant Map selections that got spots for up to 30 Civs. As long as its under 190x190, Fast and smooth gameplay follows you along in a giant wheeling and dealing, war'in and scoring realistic world. In terms of amount of countries Civ4 just can't come close to replicating.
For short transition periods between turns always say No to MEGA GIGA Maps. (Maps over 200x200) and know thet [Ctrl + Caps Lock] speeds AI turns drastically , but never skips the fights (other nations at war) :)

Civ Complete was the only version of Civ3 I purchased, I was lucky cause all the great things were done and ripe for the downloading. One last thing.. Remember the terrain graphics you see on the back of the box arn't neccesarly what Civ3 to look like when you play. Artists are always raising the bar considerably on the 'look' of the terrain as evidence, a simulated satelite Terrain Pak is about to drop, IMO, Rhyes greener and Snoopys Terrain bring the best look to this game, f

Get it, absolutely. It has a better "Just one more turn" feeling than Civ4, IMO. Also, its graphics are nicer, simpler and clearer.

Civ 3 is wonderful! You should definetely get it. Yes, Ares', Rhye's and Snoopy's terrain (in my opinion best of all) are great and they look better than Civ4 terrains, just that you can't zoom in and out too much. You have just 2 variants of zoom.

The main differences between Civ4 and Civ3 are no religions and very different combat system. Units have attack/defense points, do not belong to a category and don't receive any bonuses against other categories, but the terrain, rivers and difference between attack/defense make combat complicated.

C3C is a great game. It is definitely worth getting. The biggest downside coming from Civ4 is the extra micro management you need to do with your cities to prevent riots and not waste shields. There are some user created tools to help deal with some of it, though.

Yes, if the cities have more unhappy faces than happy faces (note: content citizens do not count as happy. Only "pure" happy counts) the city will fall in Civil Disorder and will not produce anything more (the production will freeze, but you will not lose anything). You will see smoke over the city and you will be alerted at the beggining of each turn.

To keep your city happy use luxuries, lux slider and military units garrisoned inside.

Not having Civ4, I couldn't tell you if it's different or not. Some have installers, others you just put into your scenario directory.

Check out some of the mods in the Completed Modpack subforum. They should have installation instructions in the first post, or in a readme on the download.

I don't know what is the process for mod instalation for civ4, but it is pretty easy. Just that you don't have "Load a Mod", you have "Civ-content" which allows you to select a scen/mod.
You just unzip the file (or unzip and paste it where it should be), and sometimes you can overwrite some of the mod files to a patch that might be released by the mod creator (dl the big file and overwrite the files from the little patch).

Edit: Crosspost with Turner.

Okay, for Civ 4 it is very easy. You move it into C://Program Files/Firaxis Games/Civilization 4/Mods.

Civ 3, you have to get 2 things. The .biq file, which is the map, you put that in C://Program Files/Infrogames Interactive/Civilization 3/Conquests/Scenarios.
Then you put the folder of art and text in C://Program Files/Infrogames Interactive/Civilization 3/Conquests/Scenarios.

YES its definetly worth for one major reason the AI on civ4 sucks its timid and wont attack unless it has an advantage of 20-1 or better I played a dual map with 18 civs on uber aggressive AI and there were a total of three wars up into industrial age in civ 3 most civs would be dead by then civ4 is also much easier when AI does fight wars they just pile all there units in cities and let you pillage everything

finally I have a hard time on monarch lvl civ3 the compareable civ4 lvl was a breeze. Only thing you will miss is religon and great people. But civ3 is far better AI less clutterd map and no cheesy worker actions/wonders and a vastly superior combat system oh did I mention the barbarians actualy attack every once in awhile?

I'm new to the CIV series as well, and i absolutely loved Civ 4 and was wondering about CIV 3 Complete as well, so I decided to get it.

The package arrived in the mail yesterday. (although the C3C game was intended to be a Father's Day gift from my wife and kids....... i guess we'll have to wait and see whether or not it stays in the box til next weekend or not!)

I can't wait to try it out and see for myself. All of the wonderful posters' comments and thoughts on CivFanatics definitely influenced me to check it out

Iron Jack Flint

Top Bottom