Civ 5 Design Challenge II - Mechanics

My vote goes to Mobfire's Vandals. I especially like the combat-bonuses from the UU's (exp from pillaging and plundering, and extra combat strength for each promotion), which I think fit really nice with the (plundering and pillaging) civ!

We haven't gotten any votes in quite some time, so if you haven't voted yet, please do so so that we can begin the next challenge.

As it stands, the votes are...
  • Hoop_Thrower's Sea Peoples - 1
  • Cyphose's Poland - 1
  • Dudwwiththefood's Spain - 1
  • Mobfire's Vandals - 1
inthesomeday's Weimar Republic, Keniisu's Singapore, Troller's Islamic State and Natan's House of Tudor currently have no votes.

My vote is for inthesomeday's Weimar Republic, which is very helpful in causing a 5-way tie :p

Voting for Inthesomeday's Weimar Republic. Not too many favorites this round...

Since it appears to be a given for Inthesomeday from what it appears, here's something I made :)

Ayyyyy I love it it's been a whiiiile since there's been one of those. Mechanic later

Ayyyyy I love it it's been a whiiiile since there's been one of those. Mechanic later

Yeah true, too long probably. So what do you have in store for us inthesomeday?

"Chopping forests and jungles provides experience/levels up spies."

Extra points for both.

"Chopping forests and jungles provides experience/levels up spies."

Extra points for both.

By extra points do you mean that if you chop both a jungle and forest they both give xp or levels to a spy? Also where in God's name am I going to find a civ for this?

I actually do have the perfect civ for it, though I have no idea if the challenge is believably codeable...

From my admittedly rather limited experience in modding (at least compared to many of the other people on this forum), I'm fairly sure this sort of challenge would be feasible, though I've a suspicion it would be quite complex as well. But hey, that's one of the advantages of the design challenge: because it's all theoretical, we don't really need to worry about what's possible, excessively complicated, or downright impossible.

I just wanted to give a super complex and challenging mechanic, and I myself have a few ideas of how to implement it, but if you guys want me to give a different mechanic I could. Especially if the codeable aspect is impossible; I know definitely nothing about coding but I figured you could use the same... Idk... Line of code... That gives nearby cities production for chopping and just replace it with leveling units. Of course I'm very ignorant and all so I'm probably completely wrong. But if an alternative mechanic is desired I can definitely come up with one

I don't personally have a problem with the challenge, I was just expanding on Hoop Thrower's "not sure if codeable" comment. But, as I also said, it shouldn't be the scope of the design challenge as to whether or not something is codeable, as that's a very grey area and quite hard to measure. So that is to say "the challenge is fine, don't worry about it."

Yeah the challenge is fine although I'm glad the spies bit isn't necessary. I think I'd lost.

The Kingdom of Alba (or Scotland)

Malcolm III

Beard to Beard
Units trained in cities on hills start with Shock I and Shock II if the city is adjacent to at least two other hills. Each melee unit may chop down one forest or jungle tile. In doing so, they gain Siege I or 15 exp if they already have Siege I.

Thane - (replaces Swordsman)
More expensive to build (90) but may gain extra promotions. If it gains Siege II, it gains Leadership free, Shock III: Great Generals I and Drill II: Cover I.

Tower House - (UI)
Unlocked at Civil Service. May only be built adjacent to rival or neutral territory and provides a 25% defence boost. Units gain +2 sight while stationed on a Tower House and have +1 movement for two turns if they start there turn there. Upon researching Architecture, the defence boost is replaced with +1 tourism and +2 gold.

Spoiler :
Bonus Steam Achievement :banana:

The Chicken or the Egg?
As The Kingdom of Alba, spawn William Shakespeare and have him write the play Macbeth.

Decided to interpret this a little... different :p

The Soviet Union (Vladimir Lenin)
UA: Workers of the World, Unite!: Chopping down forests and jungles allows workers to gain experience and earn promotions*. (Barracks and such also increase worker's XP). Forests and Jungles adjacent to your territory may also be chopped down. Workers are trained 25% faster than usual.

UU: Cheka Agent (Replaces the Great General): When stationed within a friendly city, it acts as a rank II spy, allowing it to catch enemy spies trying to steal a technology. Additionally, it may be stationed next to city states to conduct propaganda, allowing you to lose influence with them at only half the normal rate.
Furthermore, when a Cheka Agent is captured by a Barbarian or Rebel, it has an 80% chance of catching the unit (it spots its rebellion/assasination attempt). It then has a 33% chance of enslaving it as a worker (send it to a labour camp) and a 67% chance of killing it. It may only enslave a rebel to a maximum of 2 times (it will simply kill the 3rd, 4th, etc. rebel).

UB: Soviet State controlled industry (replaces the Factory): In addition to the normal yields of a factory, the State Controlled Industry provides an additional +1 production on tiles with a Post-Industrial Era strategic resource (Coal, Uranium, Aluminum and Oil). Additionally, it costs no maintenance and provides +1 local Happiness.

Spoiler Workers' Promotions :

Productionist I, II and III: 15% extra improvement construction speed
Connectionist I, II and III: 20% construction speed if building a road or railroad
Training I, II and III: +1 sight and +1 movement points
Volunteer Worker (requires Production III or Connectionist III): Makes the unit maintenance-free. Additionally, it grants 10 gold if it completes an improvement.
Terrain Ascender (requires Connectionist III or Training III): Makes the unit ignore terrain cost
Atlantean (requires Training III or Production III): Allows the unit to also improve water resources like a workboat (it is consumed when doing so)

In short; How I designed the mechanic: Chopping forests and jungles provides experience... to Workers.

EDIT: I also unintentionally put a spy mechanic in the design, though it has nothing to do with chopping down forests and jungles
Oh, so we're adding bonus steam achievements now? :p :lol: In that case, here's mine:
Red Terror: As the Soviet Union, enslave a Rebellion unit with a Cheka Agent next to a city with State Controlled Industry

Top Bottom