1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ 5 Design Challenge II - Mechanics

Discussion in 'Civilization Design Resources' started by GPuzzle, May 27, 2015.

1. Sgtwolf00

Sgtwolf00 Potential genius

I looked it up and it came up as 'Power of the Soviets"

2. Hoop Thrower

Hoop Thrower Cyberbolivarian Inkarri

Khoikhoi - Samuel Maharero
    The Last Trek: Civilian units can cross other civilizations territory without the need for open borders and can use roads while in enemy territory regardless of era.
    UU: Pastoralist: Replaces Worker. May obtain a beast of burden in a Cattle tile, allowing it to have double movement and making him finish improvements slightly faster.
    UU: Ox Rider: Replaces Cavalry. Doesn't require horses, but requires at least 1 improved pasture in city. Has -1 movement and is slightly weaker, but performs a ranged attack before engaging in melee.

3. Natan35

Natan35 Mayor of St. Natansburg

Hoop, for a unit with 1 tile range, the ability to move after attacking is a bit... Counter intuitive? I wouldn't get my unit next to my enemy just to shot him and then go back, with the risk of him escaping. Though I admit it could be extremely useful against cities if you also get the range promotion for that unit...

Just saying

4. senshidenshi

senshidenshi Switched the Red and Blue channels

The Marksman is literally just a slower Zamburak :p

5. inthesomeday

inthesomeday Immortan

Goodness, that's 12 designs. Maybe we should hold a vote?

6. Natan35

Challenge probably wasn't that challenging this time... Or maybe it was so challenging that it attracted people who don't usually participate in design challenges.

7. Cyphose

Cyphose y tho

It's likely the former (there are any number of ways you can interpret a bonus in enemy borders), but hey, I certainly won't complain about facilitating increased participation! There's something to be said about the power of a broad challenge--sure, it might not be challenging to come up with something that supports the mechanic, but with so many possibilities it then becomes a challenge to see who fits the challenge best.

As I believe that's it for ideas, here's the big fat impressive list of concepts we hauled in:
    If you're looking for ease of reading every concept, I recommend just going back a page, as nearly every single one was submitted in a constant stream on the last page. Only one (Hoop Thrower's) is on this page. I just figured I'd list all the eligible ones.

Can the person who provided the challenge vote? I assume yes, but I'll withhold my vote until I'm sure.

8. Mobfire

Mobfire Chillin' out maxin' relaxin' all cool

There are so many good civilizations, it's tough to choose! I think my vote will have to go to DonStamos' Kingdom of England, mostly for that awesome UA. If I could choose a runner up it would be the Achaeans- gotta love that mythology tie-in.

9. inthesomeday

inthesomeday Immortan

I'm gonna go with Kerfuffle's Tangut, came down to between the Aecheans, the Tangut and the Umayyads for me. I picked the Tangut because a focus on backstabbing is just so interesting and creative/original, and the bonuses are relevant and synergize nicely without being OP.

10. Natan35

Yes you can.

11. Cyphose

Cyphose y tho

inthesomeday pretty much took the words out of my mouth (well, from my fingers). I vote for Kerfuffle's Tangut as well.

12. DonStamos

DonStamos Mobster Inc©

I vote for inthesomeday's Vikings, love that synergy between the Longship and Vikingr.

13. Keniisu

Keniisu YouTuber | Modder

I vote for Inthesomeday's Vikings. What can I say? I have a soft spot for anything Viking or Scandinavian related! :D

14. einayim

einayim Warlord

Going with hoop thrower-- it's a really nice, fairly simple design

15. Natan35

Well, there were some nice designs this time around. I vote for NiaoMeow's Ummayed Caliphate, which is great in my opinion, due to the awesome synergy between the UU and UA.

16. DudewiththeFood

DudewiththeFood King

Vote for Keniisu's Achaeans.

17. Kerfuffle

Kerfuffle King of the Whale Sharks

I think I'll be voting for niaomeow's Umayyad design. Nice synergies going on and you can never have too many generals! (I have like 10 at the moment with my current game with Bismarck... I think I need some more)

18. Sgtwolf00

Sgtwolf00 Potential genius

inthesomeday for me!

19. Troller0001

Troller0001 Not an actual Troll

Kerfuffle's Tangut from me as well! The civ looks so interesting (E.g. the backstab mechanic) while still looking balanced, which is a very difficult thing to do!

20. inthesomeday

inthesomeday Immortan

DonStamos- 1
    Kerfuffle- 3
    inthesomeday- 3
    hoop thrower- 1
    NiaoMeow- 2
    Keniisu- 1

A tie, but with 11 votes! What a high participation challenge this time around.