Civ 5 Design Challenge II - Mechanics

Khoikhoi - Samuel Maharero
The Last Trek: Civilian units can cross other civilizations territory without the need for open borders and can use roads while in enemy territory regardless of era.
UU: Pastoralist: Replaces Worker. May obtain a beast of burden in a Cattle tile, allowing it to have double movement and making him finish improvements slightly faster.
UU: Ox Rider: Replaces Cavalry. Doesn't require horses, but requires at least 1 improved pasture in city. Has -1 movement and is slightly weaker, but performs a ranged attack before engaging in melee.

Hoop, for a unit with 1 tile range, the ability to move after attacking is a bit... Counter intuitive? I wouldn't get my unit next to my enemy just to shot him and then go back, with the risk of him escaping. Though I admit it could be extremely useful against cities if you also get the range promotion for that unit...

Just saying

Goodness, that's 12 designs. Maybe we should hold a vote?

Challenge probably wasn't that challenging this time... Or maybe it was so challenging that it attracted people who don't usually participate in design challenges.

It's likely the former (there are any number of ways you can interpret a bonus in enemy borders), but hey, I certainly won't complain about facilitating increased participation! There's something to be said about the power of a broad challenge--sure, it might not be challenging to come up with something that supports the mechanic, but with so many possibilities it then becomes a challenge to see who fits the challenge best.

As I believe that's it for ideas, here's the big fat impressive list of concepts we hauled in:
If you're looking for ease of reading every concept, I recommend just going back a page, as nearly every single one was submitted in a constant stream on the last page. Only one (Hoop Thrower's) is on this page. I just figured I'd list all the eligible ones.

Can the person who provided the challenge vote? I assume yes, but I'll withhold my vote until I'm sure.

There are so many good civilizations, it's tough to choose! I think my vote will have to go to DonStamos' Kingdom of England, mostly for that awesome UA. If I could choose a runner up it would be the Achaeans- gotta love that mythology tie-in.

I'm gonna go with Kerfuffle's Tangut, came down to between the Aecheans, the Tangut and the Umayyads for me. I picked the Tangut because a focus on backstabbing is just so interesting and creative/original, and the bonuses are relevant and synergize nicely without being OP.

Yes you can.

inthesomeday pretty much took the words out of my mouth (well, from my fingers). I vote for Kerfuffle's Tangut as well.

I vote for inthesomeday's Vikings, love that synergy between the Longship and Vikingr.

I vote for Inthesomeday's Vikings. What can I say? I have a soft spot for anything Viking or Scandinavian related! :D

Well, there were some nice designs this time around. I vote for NiaoMeow's Ummayed Caliphate, which is great in my opinion, due to the awesome synergy between the UU and UA.

I think I'll be voting for niaomeow's Umayyad design. Nice synergies going on and you can never have too many generals! (I have like 10 at the moment with my current game with Bismarck... I think I need some more)

Kerfuffle's Tangut from me as well! The civ looks so interesting (E.g. the backstab mechanic) while still looking balanced, which is a very difficult thing to do!

DonStamos- 1
Kerfuffle- 3
inthesomeday- 3
hoop thrower- 1
NiaoMeow- 2
Keniisu- 1

A tie, but with 11 votes! What a high participation challenge this time around.

Top Bottom