1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ 6 drops below Civ 5 on Steam

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Raider, Jan 4, 2017.

1. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Making a decision tree that fits "everything I want this AI to do" without neglecting absolutely anything is difficult. Unrealistically difficult. It's more a question of how much neglect is acceptable.

You're not wrong (civ 5 was terrible on release in so many ways, only some of which got fixed). One doesn't have to aim very high to go further when the barrel is on the foot.

Most of the civ 6 complaints do indeed have obvious civ 5 parallels or are even direct ports of civ 5 problems (unit cycle force selection is a carry-over! Same with UI lying about when you'll attack for example). The perplexing thing here is the civ 5/6 split. Their release quality is pretty similar, and they share a ton of issues.

In contrast to civ 5 and 6, which share a comically bad UI, they need to put a UI programmer on the game and leave him or her on the project until after alpha ends or that's not going to work.

MP is even more dependent on controls and pacing than SP, and Firaxis has chain-regressed at it for the better part of a decade now. Transitioning THAT to MP? Good luck.

2. player1 fanatic

player1 fanatic Fanatic

Civ5 UI is miles better then Civ6 UI. There is no any kind of "sharing" between those.

3. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

Which defeat screen is more memorable? Civ V's half-buried statue in the desert or Civ VI's abandoned metropolis?

4. Packherd2

Packherd2 Warlord

I dug the future archaeologist thing. I like the acknowledgement that my end isn't necessarily the world's end. In fact, that was a big part of the theme of Civ V. In the beginning you find ancient ruins and in the end you become an ancient ruin.

whyidie likes this.
  5. Unconquered Sun

Unconquered Sun Emperor

So they have cool defeat screens?

6. Xur

Xur Prince

Agreed. Civ6's UI is buggy and omitting a lot of information that would be nice - even just basic information about gameplay. Civ5 was buggy at launch, but the UI worked and the documentation was in place at launch afaik.