Civ 6

I think Civ 5 Vanilla was a big disappointment and I went back to 4. The expansions brought back the fun and I stayed with 5, but it still had some awful mechanics, mainly global happiness, combat a.i. and the traffic jams, weird schizo diplomacy.

For all Civ 4 fans I recommend giving Civ 6 a chance, especially if player reviews are encouraging. :)
I don't know how much you have followed the mechanics, here's some cool ones:

- no more global happiness

- diplomacy completely rewritten and recoded from scratch, sort of "just war" vs unjust war mechanics, diplomacy changing over time, more logic and options to it. Sounds good so far even though we don't know all the details

- 1UPT is still back but now units can be combined into Corps and Armies and some units like battering rams, siege towers and cannons are now called Support Units and they get stacked

- war weariness back

- goverments are back and combined with civics, the Civ 5 Social Policy trees were just bonus after bonus and you couldn't really switch them midgame

- again districts and improvements can be bombarded with planes

- new interesting mechanics, like all the continents have now names and are recognized as different ones, for example Teddy Roosevelt hates bullies in his own continent etc.

The lead designer improved on Civ 5 with expansions and has some hardcore awarded boardgames under his belt like Here I stand. Have faith Civ 4 fans and maybe Civ 5 is forgiven. ;)

Lemon Merchant: Does the game really cost 80$ ? For me it's 60 €, I thought the course for those currencies would be about the same.. or maybe United States Empire are living their sunset..? ;)

If you put it like that, it sounds really interesting. Since I'm still having fun with IV I will probably play that for another year, and get VI at a discount with the expansions later if feedback on here is encouraging.

I'll see what Civ6 looks like. I really disliked Civ5 because it went in directions I didn't care for (global happiness, incomprehensible diplo, social policy, etc.). 1UPT wasn't actually a deal breaker for me because something had to be done about SOD. Yeah, I've heard that the Civ5 expansions improved it, but since I didn't like some of the basics, I don't care.

If Civ6 is a definite improvement over Civ5, then I might give it a chance, maybe, perhaps. But right now I'm not impressed with Firaxis.

Well, a real life... acquaintance of mine, who honestly holds the opinion that the entire Civilization series sucked except for 5 which is the best game in all of history, recently complained and whined about how CivVI is going to suck because they change oh so much about his precious perfect little game. I for one take that as a sign that CivVI will be great. :D

Lemon Merchant: Does the game really cost 80$ ? For me it's 60 €, I thought the course for those currencies would be about the same.. or maybe United States Empire are living their sunset..? ;)

Unfortunately, yes.

Such is the joy of being Canadian and playing Civ. :(

Civ6.PNG

As the eloquent Mr Bush said, "Fool me once, shame on...shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again." I will not be fooled again by Firaxis after Civ V, I'm sticking with Civ IV :)

Yep. Us Canadians get ripped off big time. :sad:

I made an account just now to post my thoughts on the subject because I am skeptical of civ 6's ability to deliver an experience close to 4. I am much more of a newcomer to the series than most of you. I played Civ 5 before playing civ 4 and I think this gives me a unique perspective. I'm no expert at Civ 4, but expansion in the game feels good. You are growing your empire, growing your gold, growing your beakers. In civ 5 this is not the case. Tech costs scale with the number of cities you have so you must constantly ask yourself if another conquest will actually be good for your country. (After about 6 cities it is usually not). There are so many factors limiting growth in civ 5 that 1 unit per tile doesn't even matter because there is no use in trying to expand past your four city tradition "empire". This is what makes the game so boring I think. The player has no incentive to do anything beyond building infrastructure in their 4 original cities for the entirety of the game. Domination doesn't improve your empire, its just a means of putting an end to the boredom that civ 5 offers. I believe civ 6 will continue to use a global happiness system with tech costs tied to your number of cities, and so I think it will be a crap game with a few neat features that attempt to distract the strategically minded player from the game's poor base mechanics.

I'm interested to see how the new city mechanics play out. The "embedded units" also seem interesting. "Corps" seem like armies from Civ Rev. I LOVE the fact that land masses have names and it would be amazing if you could name other things as well, including units. I really hope they improve diplomatic options and add depth. I'll wait for it to come out, let someone else be the guinea pig, but it could be dope.

This is what makes the game so boring I think. The player has no incentive to do anything beyond building infrastructure in their 4 original cities for the entirety of the game. Domination doesn't improve your empire, its just a means of putting an end to the boredom that civ 5 offers.

V in a nutshell.

I'm not too hopeful.

IMO Civ V reached new fans much more than Civ III and IV did. I don't see any urgency to restore the game back to the spirit of earlier versions. Its too far gone and any screenshots or descriptions make me feel like it will be a revised/reskinned V. I like gamepieces... not so much a cartoon.

Give me a rec. They look awesome

Depends on what you want really as far as setting, but the main four games (CK, EU, Victoria, HOI) are all good in their way. I'm into CKII and EU4. CKII does have a bit of role-playiness (sic) to it and may be considered a bit easier starting out. EU4 is the best though IMO, but others will certainly differ.

Thanks!

I have researched a bit today and both CKII and EU4 stand out.

The new HOI looks really awesome too... but more interested in the sandboxy games (for now). Plus they have all their DLC and mods in place. Also, I should feel confident they will be compatible with my PC

Also been reading through A Song of Ice and Fire and the Game of Thrones mod for CK2 sounds really appealing.

It looks moderately promising. They seem to be getting rid of many of the bad ideas brought in in CivV. And maybe armies will make 1UPT workable. I sure ain't pre-ordering it though. I got burnt once with that.

Thanks!

I have researched a bit today and both CKII and EU4 stand out.

Also been reading through A Song of Ice and Fire and the Game of Thrones mod for CK2 sounds really appealing.

Yeah, CK is set up fairly nicely for conversion mods and fantasy. The key with that game is you are playing a Dynasty as opposed to a nation like in EU4. There's more personal depth in that regard. But EU4 is a great wargame and great period too.

Although it may not be a concern for you, I would recommend waiting on sales. You can save significantly on the games/dlc with Steam sales or sales elsewhere. Not sure if any are going on currently. Steam will probably have their summer sale soon.

What's CK?

What's CK?
Crusader Kings, I believe.

@ May Day 10:

I can recommend a good Paradox Game: Stellaris. Grand strategy in space. It's challenging, well made, and a lot of fun.

Top Bottom