1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ 6

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Pangaea, May 12, 2016.

1. elitetroops

elitetroops Deity

This new video didn't exactly make me more excited.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDcUj8PrMh8

My main concern was about interface and how much they've dumbed down the game. Regarding the interface, it seems that everything is behind some unnecessary click. Building a worker improvement seems to take 2 clicks, for example. One to open menu with improvements, another to select improvement. I sure hope they at least have keyboard shortcuts.

As for dumbing down, towards the end he is commenting on micromanagement: "When you're trying to plan out your city you wanna like say 'ah this is gonna be a farm, this is gonna be an industrial area' you want that to happen right away". Eh, no. I don't want that to happen right away, I want it to be a tough decision. If they are designing the game aiming at people who want instant easy decisions, then no wonder it gets dumbed down.

2. vincentz

vincentz Programmer

"...we streamlined that..."
    oh noes :( Civ5 was streamlined enough....
    But hey! we got a lot of bling, and thats what the kids want nowadays.
    The only "upgrade" from civ 5 is the Combined Arms, and ehm, where was it?

Also kinda get the vibe: "We are skipping the history part of civ and instead bringing in these colorful characters"
    "We are making each city 12 hexes big, because hey, seems realistic right?"

tbh, I would love to play it on my phone when sitting on the train, but as an empire simulator on PC.... no thanks.

3. Drakarska

Drakarska Epic Dadness

Is Steam the only option for purchase on this? All the research I keep doing says "purchase Steam key". It sounds rather interesting, But I'd really rather not going the Steam route.

4. vorlon_mi

vorlon_mi Just One More Turn

Many games are using Steam for activation, in contrast to games which require the presence of a CD or DVD. It is possible to play offline after activation, but the shift from physical media activation to online activation appears to be a sea change.

5. Lemon Merchant

Lemon Merchant Superconductor Moderator

You can buy directly from Paradox, but you still have to activate through Steam, which seems silly. I guess that's how they control their licenses.

6. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

That video made me want to blow my brains out. Seriously.

"Before improvements used to take 5-6 turns. Not any more. Not it's instantaneous."

"We streamlined that."

"... we streamlined that."

:ar15:

More dumbed down silliness for mobiles. RIP Civ.

7. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Monopoly is never good, and that is essentially what Steam have now. I've stopped buying several games (series) I was interested because of that.

8. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

I would not call Paradox's relationship with Steam a monopoly. You can buy Paradox games at a ton of different places online. Paradox uses Steam as a platform for distributing the game, but there is more to it than just the drm. It's also a platform for the developer to develop and distribute content, tools, patches, mods as well as multiplayer, among other things. Some of these things much bigger developers than PD handle on their own like Ubisuck (which they do quite poorly).

Not trying to where the Steam hat. Steam has its issues, especially with customer service, but there are good things about it.

I will say that limiting your catalog due to Steam distribution is pretty myopic

9. Fippy

Fippy Micro Junkie Queen

I agree with Lymo, Steam is not that bad..
    I buy where good offers are, and they have an easy to use platform that's not annoying.

I find it not helpful for myself to ignore such shops or platforms, monopols are not good but what does 1 person not using them change?
    I see Ubisoft mentioned..now those are terrible lol. Really bad, and ruining one of my favorite series (Homm).

10. Robo-Star

Robo-Star Prince

Me too.

11. elitetroops

elitetroops Deity

Same footage as previous video, different chit chat.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUL1Y95To2A

Some promising things said: "This game is more complex even than Civ V was, but what we're trying to do is really attack it with a vastly improved user interface." I guess we'll see about that when it's out... Other interesting things mentioned, like pillaging a science district gives you a science bonus. Though my first thought when I saw the district system, and that you could pillage what is essentially buildings, was why would you ever want to do that if you are about to capture the city.

Watching that video, I did get a bit more excited. The district system is bound to put in some complexity with important decisions. Districts get different bonuses depending on where they are placed, so you will have to plan it carefully and there will be situations where it's a tight decision about which district to place where. I hope.

12. Fippy

Fippy Micro Junkie Queen

We will see, new systems bringing complexity would be good.
    I actually (would) like if they are moving away from managing workers and simple tile improvements, imo we can keep playing Civ4 if we wanted the same things again. Districts sounds good, on paper.

13. elitetroops

elitetroops Deity

Yeah, the more I think about it, the better the district system sounds, on paper. Typical situation that should come up: you are conquering an AI city, and being built by an AI it will be less than optimally built. Now you have to decide which districts are worth pillaging to rebuild the city in a better way and which should be left for immediate benefit. Some districts already placed might be in the spot where you want to put something else. Giving bonuses, like research bonus from pillaging science district, adds another layer of complexity to the decision.

I wonder if you will be able to capture worker units?

14. May Day 10

May Day 10 Prince

on paper, I think I like the concept of districts.

However, no matter how well it is implemented, I do not believe it will/would save a Civ 5 sequel.

15. Mike Louis

Mike Louis Chieftain

You only need Steam for initial activation / installation and downloading updates of Paradox's in house games. Once you install a PDS (Paradox Development Studios) game, you can play the game offline without Steam from the .exe file.

As for Civ 6, as long as they keep using 1upt on the strategic map instead of a separate tactical map there'll be no needed fixes to the underlying AI and empire size management mechanisms. I'll be staying with Civ 4 for the foreseeable future.

16. Tatran

Tatran Deity

So far, so good after all the released civ6 info and interviews with Ed Beach.
    Everything that's boring or repetitive instead of removing it, Beach tries to find a solution to make it better.
    Civ6 will replace (and probably close forever) civ4 for me and I won't re-install civ5.

17. Lemon Merchant

Lemon Merchant Superconductor Moderator

I've been reading in the Civ6 forums and I've come to realize the differences between warfare in Civ4, Civ5, and Civ6...

Civ4 and what the "stack of doom" really represents:
    Spoiler :

Civ5 and the 1 UPT principle:
    Spoiler :

Warfare in Civ6:
    Spoiler :

I think it's a realistic depiction. :p

Attached Files:

18. Drakarska

Drakarska Epic Dadness

Hahahahahahaha! Well played Lemon :hatsoff:, well played indeed.