Civ Assist issue

bbrady413

Chieftain
I haven't played in a few months, and am diving back in! Anyways, I installed Civ Assist II, but it isn't automatically updating with each turn. The only way it updates the info is if I manually load a save game file into Civ Assist II. Any ideas???

For me too,because I have 2 versions,Steam and dvd,CivAssist will select saves from Steam version,no matter if I choose a save from dvd version,next turn too need to select manually.You have 2 versions in PC like me?

Yes, I have a DVD version and Steam. It seems to work on Steam, but not the DVD version. I uninstalled Steam, and it still doesn't auto-load for the DVD version.

Yes, I have a DVD version and Steam. It seems to work on Steam, but not the DVD version. I uninstalled Steam, and it still doesn't auto-load for the DVD version.
Not a comp-expert here, but could this be some kind of registry problem? AFAIK, CAII monitors the list of running processes, but checks the registry to find out where Civ3 is being run from.

Assuming you installed the Steam-version first, and that the DVD-based installer would have left existing registry entries for Civ3 in place (I think it would have*), then possibly the current (Steam-install) registry entries are 'confusing' CAII -- it will 'know' that the game is running, but not that the DVD-install is running instead of the Steam-version. If so, then the only way to fix that (that I know of) would be to uninstall the DVD-version as well, then clear out the Steam-Civ3 registry entries (not sure exactly how to do this myself -- be careful!), then re-install the DVD-version (if that is the one you want to continue to use) to ensure that the Civ3 registry entries are rewritten to match the DVD-install location instead.

And for best results, the DVD-based version should not be installed to the default C:\ProgramFiles(x86)\...\Civilization3\ location, but to a non-sensitive location, not subject to VirtualStorage, e.g. C:\Games\Civilization3\. This should help with CAII as well.

Spoiler My dual-installation experience :
I already had Civ3InComplete from GamersGate, but bought the GoG-version as part of a special offer, and installed it in a separate location on the same HDD to test it (I primarily wanted to know whether GOG had supplied a working PtW .exe -- turned out that they hadn't :sad: ). However, when I started a test-game under the new installation, CAII failed to update automatically -- suggesting that pre-existing reg-entries don't get overwritten by a new installation -- although I could still load saves manually. But when I tried to 'force' CAII to look in the right place for the test-game autosaves, by specifying a File Path, it gave me error-messages.

CAII also appears to 'remember' the location from which a game was started. I applied no graphical mods to the GoG-install before starting the test-game. Later on, I transferred a test-game .sav file across to my GG-install, which uses sn00py's terrain graphics instead of the default Firaxis terrain: though CAII did now start updating itself automatically, and even though the game itself was now displaying the sn00py graphics (as expected), the CAII Map-screen continued to import the default terrain from the GoG-install.

Last edited:
Moderator Action: Moved to the "Creation & Customization --> Utility Programs" section.

And also adding my two cents: it could also be an authorization problem: did you try setting the "Run as Administrator" flag for the CivAssist executable? On newer Windows versions this is definitely necessary.

Top Bottom