Civ Assist

NDCSPURS said:
I've been playing civ all afternoon with the updated civassist and haven't had any problems except on the base terrain tab if you select grassland it only lets you select grassland resources but if you clear a forest, jungle, or marshland the grassland will still have the resource that was there. I think its the same for plains.
Turner pointed this out! I will fix that soonish. :)

hi ainwood. thanks for the reply, but unfortunately 1.04 still don't work for me... :(
I am still getting the "runtime error 9" error.
just for the record:
i am running XP professional.
i had freshly install civ3, patch it to 1.29.
i had freshly install conquest, patch it to 1.22.
the games are located in c:\programs files\games\infogrames etc
so i don't know what went wrong.
i also had tried loading conquest first then civ assist; and also the reverse, but neither worked.
i had also tried manually loading the folder and manually loading the file, but also failed.
i also notice that if the autosaves folder is empty, the civassist will load up (and of course with empty infos), but as soon as i start a game, the error message kick in...
what else can i tried?
do you want a new saves file?

Well, I thought that I had the Runtime Error 9 fixed, but after installing the newest edition of CivAssist, it for some reason has begun again. So, if anybody has anything to say about what is causing it, I am all ears. Again, thanks for all the work ainwood. :thumbsup:

ainwood said:
In terms of the victory screen, how are you working out the numbers? Does the victory screen give you %ages of total tiles, or percentages of domination limit? The tiles owned is counted from the actual tiles. As for roaded tiles worked, this is actually tiles worked by citizens in the cities, not worker units..

The victory screen gives % of world area which should mean that it works out the same as % of total tiles therefore when the victory screen says I own 34% of world area, 34% of 12800 = 4352 yet Assist says I own 1127 of 12800. Even if you assume 34% means of the domination limit which itself is 69%, then 69% of 12800 = 8832 domination limit and I own 34% of that = 3002 .... either way it is way out.

When Assist says I own 1127, is that just land ? Does the victory screen count sea tiles in your city radius as % owned ? If both these are true then that could be the problem ... Assist says I own 1127 land tiles, victory screen says I own 34% or 4352 combined land and sea tiles.

ainwood said:
Can you send me a save? As Dianthus notes below, there were issues in the original TradeAssist with this, but I stole Dianthus' good work / analysis and added continent checking in. So this is a bit confusing!.

I could send you a save, but as the game is a mod, it might not be any use to you.

ainwood said:
I show corruption and waste so that people can sort and see which cities are most productive. There is a slight problem with the corruption model, which will cause an error in predicting the net gold, and there is a problem with the maintenance costs. Also note that a city on "Wealth" will be listed in TradeAssist as producing zero shields, whereas in C3C it wil still show the shields. I can change this if its confusing! .

I thought you might be on to something until I looked again ... Of 52 cities, only 13 were producing Wealth whereas Assist was only listing 5 cities as producing shields so I took a closer look and saw that Wealth isn't the problem ... the 5 cities Assist says are producing shields are the only cities I had producing UNITS ... all non unit producing cities are listed as 0 shields both under Corruption and Cities tabs.

ainwood said:
The latter is probably the statue of Zeus temple - I'll investigate. I'm not sure why the culture is listed as negative....

Maybe the Statue of Zeus has been vandalised ... :lol:

Dazz_G said:
The victory screen gives % of world area which should mean that it works out the same as % of total tiles therefore when the victory screen says I own 34% of world area, 34% of 12800 = 4352 yet Assist says I own 1127 of 12800. Even if you assume 34% means of the domination limit which itself is 69%, then 69% of 12800 = 8832 domination limit and I own 34% of that = 3002 .... either way it is way out.

When Assist says I own 1127, is that just land ? Does the victory screen count sea tiles in your city radius as % owned ? If both these are true then that could be the problem ... Assist says I own 1127 land tiles, victory screen says I own 34% or 4352 combined land and sea tiles.
I have saves on large / huge maps where the dom limit is right-on. Could you send me a save please? Send to gotm@civfanatics.net. Thanks!

I could send you a save, but as the game is a mod, it might not be any use to you.
Shouldn't matter - I don't think that the rules regarding trading workers are configurable. There wasn't a trade embargo against you was there?

I thought you might be on to something until I looked again ... Of 52 cities, only 13 were producing Wealth whereas Assist was only listing 5 cities as producing shields so I took a closer look and saw that Wealth isn't the problem ... the 5 cities Assist says are producing shields are the only cities I had producing UNITS ... all non unit producing cities are listed as 0 shields both under Corruption and Cities tabs.
- OK It does look like there is something seriously wrong with C3C wastage calculations. I'll look at this ASAP.

Maybe the Statue of Zeus has been vandalised ... :lol:
Well, the actual end-date estimations are now a lot more robust, but I'll change the way I calculate culture / turn.

Yaype said:
Well, I thought that I had the Runtime Error 9 fixed, but after installing the newest edition of CivAssist, it for some reason has begun again. So, if anybody has anything to say about what is causing it, I am all ears. Again, thanks for all the work ainwood. :thumbsup:

Run-time errors - especiall "Subscript out of range":

Could people with these errors please try the following:
  1. Download the latest version of TradeAssist, and install it. Note that reinstalling Civ / PTW / C3C is not required, and will probably just be a pain for you!
  2. Start Civ Assist.
  3. Note down what the circled text (see below) says when you click the "Civ3" option.
  4. Try loading a manual file, and see if it loads correctly, without the errors. If you get an error, then please e-mail me the save, along with the info on what the directory listing for the circled text is, as well as your system set-up.
  5. If a manual file loads correctly, but you get errors trying the auto monitoring, then try using the "Manual Folder" button to select the autosave directory that you are interested in. Does this solve the problem?
  6. If you are a C3C user, and get a 'cannot find BIQ' message, then please let me know that too.

I've been able to get program to load OK on machines without civ installed, as well as with non-standard installations. I'll keep working at it though!

With 1.0.4 I got an alert that another civ had contacts to be sold. However, this was in ancient times and contacts were not yet tradeable. This could be seen as a spoiler. The trade tab did not, however, list any contacts available. I was playing a mod.

Request: An alert when other civs have techs for sale/when I can sell techs to other civ.

Great job - CivAssist is truly my friend.

I've been playing with civassist now for 14:31:25 and can't play without it, so civaddict would maybe be a better name :D

I check it about every other turn to know if something has changed in the techpossession, trade opportunities. Also tech cost are valueble to determine what the most expensive tech is (during trading), so I can get that extra bit out.

I've been reading through the thread and found some problems I've encountered also. I didn't yet play with 1.04 so maybe you've solved some issues already.

• During war alerter says that opponent will talk, but in fact it doesn't
  • When I started a war, the alerter was one turn late in determining that a city was about to riot. The city went into civil disorder. The city had 6 foreigners of the nationality that I was now attacking.
  • Trading tab list possible trading lux that I can't trade to other civ because I'm already trading the same resource.
  • Just tried 1.04 on computer without civ. I copied a .sav and the conquest.bic to this system (because civassist asks for it), but got a subscript out of range error. It works perfectly on a civ computer. Not really a big issue of course, as you wouldn't have much use for civassist on a non civ computer, but as you said you solved it, I thought to mention it.)
  • There's currently no check, I think, for an available trade route when civassist determines items for trade. (Options greyed out in diplomacy screen). This would be usefull.

If I encounter something else, I'll be back.

Michelangelo said:
  • During war alerter says that opponent will talk, but in fact it doesn't
    "Sort-Of" fixed. It appears that the calc for whether a civ will talk is not as straight-forward as I first thought. Now, it will tell you when they will definitely talk, but you may in fact be able to talk a few turns earlier (may be related to whether you've attacked them in the turn).
  • When I started a war, the alerter was one turn late in determining that a city was about to riot. The city went into civil disorder. The city had 6 foreigners of the nationality that I was now attacking.
    I think this is due to you don't get the "one turn grace" period for unhappy citizens that you get when a citizen is added to a city. The workaround for this is when you declare war, hit "save" then use the quick-load button to reload the save and check the happiness.
  • Trading tab list possible trading lux that I can't trade to other civ because I'm already trading the same resource.
    :hmm: I will sort that out when I get around to adding current trades.
  • Just tried 1.04 on computer without civ. I copied a .sav and the conquest.bic to this system (because civassist asks for it), but got a subscript out of range error. It works perfectly on a civ computer. Not really a big issue of course, as you wouldn't have much use for civassist on a non civ computer, but as you said you solved it, I thought to mention it.)
    I <hope> I've gone a long way to fixing that - you will still be asked for a BIQ for C3C non-scenario games, but it shouldn't crash as badly! Waiting for more feedback though, because some people are still having trouble.
  • There's currently no check, I think, for an available trade route when civassist determines items for trade. (Options greyed out in diplomacy screen). This would be usefull.
    Well, I'm not sure where to find this in the save! I figured it was better to give the player the info, and they can know whether a trade is possible. When we find the trade route info though, we'll add it in. :)

If I encounter something else, I'll be back.

Thanks for the feedback. :)

ainwood said:
I have saves on large / huge maps where the dom limit is right-on. Could you send me a save please? Send to gotm@civfanatics.net. Thanks!

Shouldn't matter - I don't think that the rules regarding trading workers are configurable. There wasn't a trade embargo against you was there?

I have sent you the save, as requested.

I've checked the game again, and there isn't a trade embargo against me ... the nations concerned would trade for me but all I could get was the gold that was listed under Trade tab ... no sign of workers though.

Just seen that you have just posted a newer version ... i'll try that one out shortly.

Keep up the :goodjob:

I just noticed a couple of things. On the General info tab, for rival info, the number of cities is not listed for some civilizations on some saves.

Also, I don't believe it is possible for coast, sea, or ocean to have a river.

Otherwise, it looks good.

TimBentley said:
I just noticed a couple of things. On the General info tab, for rival info, the number of cities is not listed for some civilizations on some saves.
That's for civs that you are at awar with. I need to modify it so that it counts visible cities. :)

Also, I don't believe it is possible for coast, sea, or ocean to have a river.

Otherwise, it looks good.
Actually, it is ;) We had a modded GOTM where I deleted the land without deleting the river first, and it did change things!

Well, I downloaded the newest version, and it seems to have solved my Subscript out of Range error. Hopefully, this time it stays that way. If not, I will be truly sad. ;)

Another problem I noticed. When I needed 58 more gold to learn astronomy and was researching at 334 beakers per turn, Civ Assist said that 58 beakers would be wasted. It was helpful in determining the most efficient way to learn it in the last 2 turns was by using 80% science for a turn, followed by 20% science for a turn, rather than the 50% science for 2 turns that I would otherwise have done.

And another bug, I found ( I can send in a save ):

Playing COTM4 your tool always showed N/A in the contacts tab in "To sell", although I could sell some contacts to other civs.

hi guys, i think i found the source of my problem.
i have the multi-language pack installed in my computer, and the default non-unicode language for my computer is non-english.
And after i changed that to English instead, the civassist run smoothly! :D

if you wants to change the default. here is what you should do:
go to starts
select control panels
select "Regional and language option"
click on "Advance" tab
then change the default language to English
restart your computer

and here you go! everything should works now! hehee

but the problem of doing this that you may not able to read whatever language your computer was able to read before... :(
maybe ainwood can find a way to bypass this?

smphang said:
but the problem of doing this that you may not able to read whatever language your computer was able to read before... :(
maybe ainwood can find a way to bypass this?
Well, I'm glad you got it sorted out!

I'm not sure about why this would cause a subscript out of range error! I'll look in to it, and see what I can do. :)

Dazz_G said:
General Info Tab : Now recognises version C3C 1.22f where previously it was listing 1.15f.
Units listed as 286 where in game, units only total 235 ... this may be as a result of captured workers not being counted by the game but counted by Assist. Perhaps you could list captured units seperately.
Have added this to the version I'm working on now (not released yet).

Trade Tab : Lists workers that I can buy but when you open talks, the nations listed don't have workers for sale.
From the save you sent me, It looks like the 'suicide bomber' was flagged as having a terraform AI strategy. I was reading this flag to count workers, but whether a unit is tradable or not depends on the "captured unit" flag, not the terraform flag. So I changed it to the other flag. :)

Top Bottom