Civ Assist

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Utility Programs' started by ainwood, Sep 1, 2004.

1. Yaype

Yaype Me

For those of you getting the "Runtime error 9: Subscript out of range" message, patching C3C to 1.22 fixed the problem for me. I had just reinstalled and was trying to run it on an unpatched version, but once I installed 1.22, CivAssist began to work perfectly...well, minus the bugs that are apparently out there (but I have not yet run into them).

2. GreatDeceiver

GreatDeceiver Chieftain

Add one more to the list of people who are receiving error messages when trying to open the zip file, i.e. "The Compressed (zipped) Folder is invalid or corrupted."

3. ainwood

ainwood Consultant. Administrator

Ok - the zip file is corrupted. :( Unfortunately, I can't fix it now, so will do it later.

4. ainwood

5. NDCSPURS

NDCSPURS Chieftain

I've downloaded version 1.0.4 but every time I start it I get this error message

Attached Files:

6. Metzen

Metzen Chieftain

I'm having the same problems as NDCSPURS.

If it helps - Win98 SE. I've patched the two OCX files as directed near the beginning of this post.

7. ainwood

Well, I'm not sure what is causing this.

Can you tell me what type of file you are trying to open (Civ v PTW v C3C), and whether you actually have civ installed on the particular machine (there may be some problems with trying to run it on a computer without civ installed). Also, please let me know the software patch version.

If possible, please also post a save, or e-mail it to me at gotm@civfanatics.net

8. NDCSPURS

NDCSPURS Chieftain

I have C3C 1.22 and it happens on every save I try. I have edited the conquest.Biq so that England has been changed to Great Britain, and reveal map, retain culture and Plague are all turned on.

9. Dazz_G

Dazz_G Emperor

Ok ... downloaded and installed fine.

I have no problems using it on saves, even on mod saves.

Some features look more accurate, but some are still way out .... i'll give a more detailed report shortly as i'm SUPPOSED to be working at the moment.

10. ainwood

Well, I've fixed a couple of bugs that might cause subscript out of range errors for people with non-standard installs, or trying to run it on PCs without civ installed.

First post link is updated - try that!

Really hoping that this fixes some problems.... Fingers crossed...

11. Metzen

Metzen Chieftain

I've definitely got a non-standard installation.

I've got C3C 1.22 installed to d:\games\civ3, which is also where I'm sticking civassist.

I did just install the updated 1.04 "Full Install" and have been able to start the program without the subscript out of range problem. I'll give it a more stressful test here shortly and let you know of the successes/failures.

I know you're immune to enthusiasm, but:
    Thanks for taking the time to write this utility and sharing it with the rest of us. If corporate game development was as responsive as you've been I think we'd all be a little happier.

Thanks for the patience.
    Keep up the hard work.

12. NDCSPURS

NDCSPURS Chieftain

I've been playing civ all afternoon with the updated civassist and haven't had any problems except on the base terrain tab if you select grassland it only lets you select grassland resources but if you clear a forest, jungle, or marshland the grassland will still have the resource that was there. I think its the same for plains.

13. Metzen

Metzen Chieftain

One request:
    Please enable tab navigation. I'd like to be able to switch between the tabs (and navigate within them) without having to use the mouse.

I've also noticed that the Trade screen almost always tells me that I've got wines for sale, even when I don't have extras AND when the other civ doesn't need them. Of course I am playing one of the conquests.

All in all, it looks like all the major problems have been addressed.

Thanks again for the hard work.

14. Dazz_G

Dazz_G Emperor

I have seen a few inconsistancies which I have listed below ...

General Info Tab : Now recognises version C3C 1.22f where previously it was listing 1.15f.
    Units listed as 286 where in game, units only total 235 ... this may be as a result of captured workers not being counted by the game but counted by Assist. Perhaps you could list captured units seperately.

Territory Tab : Under territory info, how is TIles owned calculated ? Assist lists this as 1127 but if you calculate the percentage as listed on the Victory screen this should be more like 4352. Of course this asumes that the Total Tiles as listed by assist are correct.Using same method, Domination Limit is way out as well. Under territory statistics, roaded tiles worked etc now works but the listing for workers is incorrect ... even allowing for captured workers, the number still is out.

Technology Tab : Beakers per turn is incorrect and the turns remaining is actually double what it should be.

Trade Tab : Lists workers that I can buy but when you open talks, the nations listed don't have workers for sale.

Corruption Tab : Total science per turn and Corruption are incorrect though not by much but the Net Gold per Turn is listed as -138 when it should list +58 ..... there are no gold per turn trade deals in force so unless there is an element i'm not aware of, this is way out. Under city info, what purpose are Corruption and Waste ... they don't in any way correspond to actual figures for the cities concerned and also nearly all cities list 0 shields.

Culture Tab : Total culture for city is correct but it lists Culture per turn as -167 ! Also doesn't list Temple as being present byt this may be due to Statue of Zeus created temple.

Cities Tab : Under improvement info, shields again are listed as 0 for nearly all cities. Also, totals for Corruption, Beakers and Taxes don't correspond to actual figures at the cities.

I think this is a great tool :goodjob: and I don't want you to take the above as though i'm trying to rubbish it ... it may be i'm interpreting some parts of the information incorrectly but I thought i'd list my experiences to see if anyoneelse finds anything similar thereby giving you something to work from.

All the best.

15. Dianthus

Dianthus Small but hardy Retired Moderator

When this happened did the nation have a city on the same continent that you've got a city? This is required in order to be able to trade workers, but maybe ainwood isn't checking for this? I know I wasn't when I first added worker trading to my utility!

16. Dazz_G

Dazz_G Emperor

Yes ... both nations listed as having workers for sale were on the same continent as myself.

17. Merum

Merum Permanent Jet Lag

I'm getting runtime error 9 as well. I did notice that I can open files using "manual folder" just fine, and that the error is generated only in auto mode. I'm using patched 1.22f, running on windows XP pro from a non-standard path. Hope this helps in hunting down the issue. Truly a nice piece of work here!

Edit for new information
    Interesting side note after some experimentation: I tried starting civ first, then turning on CivAssist. the program started up in auto mode just fine, and since then has not given me a problem, even when starting it before civ. It's got me wondering if the file it was finding in the autosave directory was somehow corrupted, and now that it's replaced by a more recent one (the first autosave from the new game) that it finds everything all good.

Hope this helps in some odd fashion or another. Thanks for the great tool!

18. Dazz_G

Dazz_G Emperor

I don't seem to have a problem running manual or auto from either my standard install or my non standard modified install or whether I start C3C or Assist first... the problem may well have been in your particular save file ...

19. ainwood

Probably is captured workers - started fixing that last night.

In terms of the victory screen, how are you working out the numbers? Does the victory screen give you %ages of total tiles, or percentages of domination limit? The tiles owned is counted from the actual tiles. As for roaded tiles worked, this is actually tiles worked by citizens in the cities, not worker units.

Beakers per turn is calculated from corruption, and the corruption model needs some work. Its better for PTW than it is for C3C, and I will improve it once I'm happy that the base bugs (the ones causing crashes) are worked-out.

Can you send me a save? As Dianthus notes below, there were issues in the original TradeAssist with this, but I stole Dianthus' good work / analysis and added continent checking in. So this is a bit confusing!

I show corruption and waste so that people can sort and see which cities are most productive. There is a slight problem with the corruption model, which will cause an error in predicting the net gold, and there is a problem with the maintenance costs. Also note that a city on "Wealth" will be listed in TradeAssist as producing zero shields, whereas in C3C it wil still show the shields. I can change this if its confusing!

The latter is probably the statue of Zeus temple - I'll investigate. I'm not sure why the culture is listed as negative...

See points above. Partly corruption calculation errors, partly wealth building?

I really appreciate the feedback - the corruption model needs quite a bit of work, and I am splitting-out the maintenance costs and units costs from the total gold, which should make it easier to debug / fix / improve.

20. ainwood

Should be do-able. :)
    I'll check the trade conditions again - I thought they were OK. :( Is it a case of them being greyed-out on the in-game trade list? Meaning that you would be able to trade them, but you don't have a trade route? Or is it simply that they don't want them and you don't have extra ones?