Civ failing to launch since may patch

ravenfriend

Chieftain
Im using vista x64, try to launch game, get to the loading part...or what should be...but all goes black and the game crashes.

I think its since the last patch, steam or civ I duno which. Making a new thread cos all the others seem to be for xp users.

Have tried all the silly tips and tricks...set fullscreen to 0 in dx11 file, tried running in different compatibilty modes (which I never have had to do before)

Basicly all the usual stuff, deleting cache, varifing files via steam, turning off intro movie, blah blah blah

All drivers and updates are up to date also

Anyone else having this issue?
Any help?

Have also uninstalled, wipped all civ folders from steam and docs etc, reinstalled...same issue

***edit*** I dont have any of the feature_ files that was coursing some to have loading issues
I even tried deleting the whole peices folder and then letting steam varifi and reload the delted folder....still nothing

Thx for the link, some handy tips there.

Had already installed the DXsetup and vcredist_x86 things, just tried deleting the WMV files and still same issue.

Will work through everything on the wiki tho as there is a few things there I havent tried.

heres my dxdiag

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    32.3 KB · Views: 36
Just noticed that the "opening movies fix" part of the wiki wasn't updated for Gods and Kings. If you are using Gods and Kings or Gold Edition, there is another video file. (the wiki has been updated now).

dxdiag looked good. I didn't see anything wrong there.

Thx for checking the dxdiag.

I am using G&K....so I deleted the WMV files from both folders.

Didnt work tho, what was odd is that it didnt even give me the lil adds for firaxis and steam etc, simply went to black and crashed.

Also just tried uninstalling steam, reinstalling after clean up....civ v is now the only game installed on my steam account.

re went through all the lil changes like dx11 ini file (changed to 1024 x 768 etc) Still no luck

just about giving up now

thx again for the help, looks like my civ days are over, shame realy cos Ive been playing it since civ 1

It seems that you're starting the game using DX11. Have you tried DX9?

Yes Ive tried starting in dx9 also...same issue

just tried deleting the sid meiers civ 5 folder from mygames and then starting...still crash to black......altho it does play the movie with no issues ive found, it just crashes after the movie

***edit***
Just tried uninstalling everythin again, but this time I tried reinstalling via the original disk, also went to propertys during install and selected not to keep game updated, in case it was a patch that was messing things up.
Whats strange is that after installing vanilla civ v I had no option to play, either in the game folder in steam apps, or from steam library....it just gave me the install option still, even tho i had just reinstalled vis disk....Im guessing this is due to having bought G&K from steam....so I continued install via steam library, again with no auto updates.
same issue, flicks to black screen and crashes out...tried setting bk to keep game upto date, and same issue...realy out of ideas now

Here are some more ideas (longshots, but you never know), in case you haven't already tried them:

1. Roll back your video drivers to an earlier version.
2. Open the NVIDIA control panel (or whatever it's called) and fool around with various settings.
3. Reseat the video card.
4. Find and run hardware diagnostics for your video card.
5. Borrow a compatible video card from a friend and see if it works.

Good ideas if I wasnt playing other games with no issues.

Will try rolling bk driver tho, fingercrossed, wish me luck!

***edit***
awww no luck...I rolled back, I rolled forward, rolled to the side and around about...nothing, even tried the 306 drivers sugested by wiki.
Gone bk to the 320 driver.

excuse me just one moment while i bang my head against the wall, thinking about the 2 great games I had going only a couple of weeks ago, now gone due to uninstalling, deleting and reinstalling

What nerks me is the only thing I had to do before all this was turn off the intro movie.....long long time ago....now the intro movie plays just fine, jeeze cana get a break man!

After 3 reinstalls and going over all the tips to get the game working again, I still have the same issue

Game goes through the logo's, gets to where intro movie would be, and crashes to black....any official answer for this yet?

And yes I have always had it set to skip intro movies

****bumping rarther than editing last post incase folk having same issue****

Ok, it seems I have widdled down the issue....

I have a gigabyte 460...and so have the gigabyte OCGuru app (loads up at start)

After turning this app off, or stopping it from loading during start up, either way works....the game now loads perfectly ok again

I think it should be noted tho that I have had the ocguru app on my comp since installing the gpu. The app and civ have always worked togther just fine in the past...untill last patch

Also, I have never overclocked my gpu, via the ocguru or manualy. The only reason i left it on comp is to keep an eye on what the new games are doing to the gpu heat wise.

Anyway, problem fixed.
From the looks of a few similar posts on various civ forums, none essencial gpu app/programs might be the issue

woohoo civ works woohooo

Top Bottom