Civ Ideas & Suggestions Not-Worth-Their-Own-Thread

Could Firaxis please bring back throne room and option to zoom in you cities from civ 3.
Also they need a more lively advisers like they used to be in civ 3.From civ 4 I would brought back corporations in late game and vassals.Space ship view is also necessary.And for the last the option if two countries have same religion and politics system they can merge into one.

it's silly, but I actually do miss the throne room from Civ 3 (and what did Civ 1+2 have... like a customized palace or something?)

I always thought it would be cool if there was a late-game ability to allow workers to change terrain... blow up a mountain into a hill, connect a landlocked sea to the ocean, etc.

Sorry if this has already been mentioned - Found it hard to search for this specific nitpick:

The Commerce Social Policy still has artwork of ships on it, despite that naval based trading perks have been moved to Exploration. The visual representation was cause for some confusion (and bad mistakes based on pure assumption) - Perhaps a new picture to represent land trade would suit more accurately?

Neeed an "upgrade all" option rather than having to hunt down every unit available for an upgrade.

I was thinking in a previous game that it would be cool if cultural borders expanded around trade routes/roads... had a game the other day where the road to my capital city was just outside my "buy tile" range, and the natural culture expansion was getting every time *except* the road tiles. (eventually, Poland plonked down a city and utterly destroyed my trade route)

would give some incentive to building roads to city states too if you want to expand your borders.

Do you know what I need? The return of the Theocracy policy from Civ IV. At least, I think it was theocracy.

Or just any way to keep other religions out of my borders. Maybe make it so that open borders are required for missionaries and great prophets to cross? Maybe an additional social policy in piety that prevents the spread of non-state religions? Or add it into the new reformation beliefs?

Do you know what I need? The return of the Theocracy policy from Civ IV. At least, I think it was theocracy.

Or just any way to keep other religions out of my borders. Maybe make it so that open borders are required for missionaries and great prophets to cross? Maybe an additional social policy in piety that prevents the spread of non-state religions? Or add it into the new reformation beliefs?

1. Missionaries already experience a decay in power for every turn they spend in your territory.
2. You can buy Inquisitors.
3. There is a Reformation belief called Unity of the Prophets that halves the effect Inquisitors and Prophets have on reducing your religion in a city.

The game will never allow you to completely eliminate your opponent's ability to convert your cities to their religion, as that completely destroys the entire idea behind the mechanic. It removes counter-play, which is bad.

1. Missionaries already experience a decay in power for every turn they spend in your territory.
3. There is a Reformation belief called Unity of the Prophets that halves the effect Inquisitors and Prophets have on reducing your religion in a city.

The game will never allow you to completely eliminate your opponent's ability to convert your cities to their religion, as that completely destroys the entire idea behind the mechanic. It removes counter-play, which is bad.

(1) They still can cross into my territory.
(2) I already do.
(3) I don't have the social policies to get that far in Piety, and even if I do, Evangelism or Underground Sect suite my needs more.

But, really. A suggestion is a suggestion, especially if it's a suggestion for a mod. Being able to raze capital cities and city states breaks a few things, too, but someone still created that (and I love it for being able to remove holy cities).

So, it's not that far fetched a suggestion that missionaries and prophets couldn't cross borders unless you have an open border policy, or a new reformation belief gets added in that prevents spread of non-state religion.

Then I could finally be an insular, isolated nation. I shall never let the heathens in!

The bottom line is, some folks want to play Civ more like Sim City than Civ, so anything that can enter their world and upset their sense of control is bad.

If anything, the game needs a means for attracting foreign religions to your land. One of the main reasons I have to compete religion is that the follower beliefs from other religions don't arrive soon enough.

A reworking of the luxury resource mechanic that makes duplicate resources useful by including buildings with a new slot that makes use of them, giving either more happiness or some other yield. Some could be existing buildings, like the Circus having a slot for Ivory, the Mint having a slot for either Gold or Silver, and the Monastery having a slot for Wine or Incense. A jewelry-related building could work Pearls and Gems, a clothing-related building could work Silk and Cotton, and a hunting-related building could work Furs and Whales or Salt (used to preserve meat).

I wanna see the Galleon and Man-of-War in CiV. Remove the Ship of the Line UU for England and give it to everyone.

Just realised that a Boer faction would also be nice.

Leader: Paul Kruger (Leader of Transvaal Boer Republic and the face of the Boer resistance against the British).

UA - Great Trek - Allows the Boers to move any of their cities, changing the city in a settler. When placing the city again the old population will gradually return over a period of turns, depending on the previous size of the city. This ability also allows the Boers to purchase land tiles from city states and civilizations if they agree. (To represent them buying land from the locals and mainly to represent the fact they did a act of relocation on a great scale.)

UU - Boer Commando - Replaces Rifleman. Unit can be created by upgrading workers into this unit. Boer Commandos get a combat bonus in rough terrain and when standing on a farm tile improvement. (Worker ability is here to represent the fact that they are a militia.)

II - Boer Farm - Replaces Farm. Provides additional food and production. (Not sure what this should do, though seeing how the Boer people were essentially largely composed of farmers it should definately be a replacement for the farm.)

Above would probably make them quite a unique faction, able to put its cities in more strategic locations and to move its country entirely to escape unwanted neighbor. A lot of options really. And the fact that farms will be plentifull in the time of the rifleman will make the Boer commando a tough unit and the farm improvement will allow for some more growth and production from early in the game.

i have 4 different ideas that would add a little extra fun and challenge to the game. (sorry for the novel)

idea 1: random natural disasters!
earthquakes, large fires, hurricanes, tsunamis, and plagues. they would make a city lose lose population, cause production to grind to a halt, and cause certain buildings in the city to have a higher maintenance cost for a few turns. obviously they would increase unhappiness. you could prevent the effects of natural disasters by constructing things like fire stations, hospitals and coast guard bases in your city. also, if there is a plague in a city and the city is connected to a trade route, it increases the chances of the plague spreading to other cities! oh noes! D:

idea 2: slavery!
woo! a part of history and civilization we want to forget, but an important part. when conquering a city there is an "enslave" choice and you get slave points on the top of the screen, just like other strategic resources, and just like other strategic resources, you can trade them.also, stealing workers with military units turns them into a slave unit. you can put slaves to work on construction projects in your city to speed up the process and produce a "slave" unit that you can designate to a luxury resource production hex such as a mine or plantation and they will increase the output. using slaves, however, increases unhappiness. :( later on, there could be a social policy called "emancipation" that gets rid of slaves, turns slave units into workers, adds happiness and starts a golden age. also, a social policy called "civil rights" that adds one happiness for every worker unit you have and starts a golden age.

idea 3: uprisings and rebellions!
A city may start an uprising if for several turns your economy is in the negatives, your nation is unhappy or a city is starving. the first stage is much like an annexed city, it won't do much work and you must either fix the problem or send military units into the city. if you do this, the city may either stop uprising (if you're lucky) and everything will be fine and dandy, or your military unit will be kicked out and the city starts the rebellion stage, where it becomes sort of like a city state thats angry at you. it will start producing military units and you can try to appease them to stop the uprising or you may try to attack them and reconquer them. the appeasing part is much like the quests that the other city states give, such as "disband this many workers/military units" or "make a certain amount of money/happiness for so many turns." there is a way to make the city permanently mad at you and they may try to conquer more cities! that would suck, but its your fault! :mad:

ok, lets take a break...go get a snack, take a piss, call your mother...
...ok, are you all back? we're almost done here...

idea 4: airports!
when you discover the flight technology, you must construct an "airfield" in your city in order to produce and house airplanes. later on, you can build a "hangar" which allows for more amount of planes in your city. finally, building a "global airport" will create a trade route to your capital or any other city thats connected to your capital with an airport.
the end! hope you guys at firaxis or 2k like this stuff and add it, thanks :)

It's not dead, it's just not as active as other forums, and Sundays are slow anyway.

Having said that, natural disasters, slavery, and civil war have been discussed often before, and the consensus seems to be that they're not good additions. If you search any of those topics, you'll find ample discussion.

BNW has airports. And excessive unhappiness will already cause rebel units to spawn.

I think a Modern or Industrial Era ship, the Ice Breaker, would be really neat to have to, well, go and destroy some of those ice floes that impede movement around the poles.

Sometimes I'll get maps where you can't traverse around the North or South end of continents because of the ice shelf. Additionally, I've even had Pangaea maps where the North/South are connected and you can't circumnavigate the map.

Thoughts?

I think that they should add 2 new ideologies in the next patch or expansion:

Monarchy and Some religion based ideology

It's not dead, it's just not as active as other forums, and Sundays are slow anyway.

Having said that, natural disasters, slavery, and civil war have been discussed often before, and the consensus seems to be that they're not good additions. If you search any of those topics, you'll find ample discussion.

BNW has airports. And excessive unhappiness will already cause rebel units to spawn.

woah! thanks man! maybe next time I'll get the newest expansion and read the forums before I write my ideas down.

I think that they should add 2 new ideologies in the next patch or expansion:

Monarchy and Some religion based ideology

I wish that the current autocracy had more elements of monarchy in it, rather than a separate ideology, but I think a separate monarchy and theocracy ideology could be cool. If they did though, they should make ot easier for opponents ideologies to switch, and a diplomacy option whete after a war, you can force your ideology on someone. CS should have ideologies too, picking one after one civ has picked 3 out of the 5 ideologies, and raising the influence level for civs who share their ideology.

I was playing Civ today, found myself repeatedly building the same unit from the same city and had a thought - what if you get free unit promotions when you continue to build the same unit from the same city? It wouldn't address any major issues or anything, but it could be neat - it could be fun.

So, for example, if you build a Scout as the first thing, from your first city, it'll be a normal run-of-the-mill scout. But, if you build a second one, it gets 1 free promotion. If you build a third, it'll get two free promotions. A fourth would get three free promotions, and so on. There should probably be a limit to the number of free promotions you could get this way.

Anyhow, just one of those random, interesting, "what if" thoughts...

Top Bottom