Civ IV Laptop question

thbrown81

Warlord
I had been planning to replace my desktop with a beefy Civ V worthy machine, but since that game hasn't met expectations, I've decided to get a new laptop instead. I've learned the hard way that laptops with an integrated accelerator that just uses system RAM suck, but I don't have the budget to spring for a highend laptop with 1GB of discreet video RAM. Does anyone have recommendations on something in between. I'm just looking for something that can smoothly run Huge Civ IV maps (if such a thing is possible). If a laptop has an upgraded accelerator and 512MB+ of dedicated video RAM, will that get the job done? Any advice is welcome. Thanks!

Could you tell us what your price range is? And a lil more about what you want from your laptop?

Yes, in general you can play Civ IV on a laptop, and you can do so without problems. I do not have any experience with huge maps however, if that is a key consideration I can't help you specifically. How low are you willing to turn the graphic settings?

Wait, I'm not an expert but I would expect the size of the map to have a large impact on the CPU load but little to no impact on the GPU load. The displayed graphics doesn't change depending on map size, right? Right? Anybody with experience or hard facts care to chime in here?

Can Civ make use of multiple cores? I would think so and advise you to get a 2 or 4 core CPU. And a lot of RAM. It should be doable, but it may depend on the funds available.

I have a 2007 laptop with Vista, dual core, and 2 GB of RAM. Civ4 will run on it, but for some reason it'll just turn off unexpectedly. I'm suspecting it's a memory issue. If you can afford a laptop with 4 GB of RAM, that's what I would recommend. I have heard that Civ4 doesn't make use of multiple cores. If your GPU has dedicated memory, all the better, I would think. I've seen laptops like that, with a lot of memory, sell for around $650 at Walmart.

Well since I doesn't seem you (OP) are gonna post more guidelines here is my recommendation. Its name is Asus K52JC-EX347. It has a 1GB Nvidia graphic card, Dual core 2.0 GHz Intel processor, 3GB (can be upped tom 4 if required) RAM, 320 GB Hard drive and a 15,6 inch wide screen. In America the price is about 700$, but it may differ depending on where you live.

Just a note here that huge maps are really not that optimal for even the best machines - laptop or desktop due to Civ IV's memory issues.

You might get a better response on a computer forum, although you'll want to provide more details when you author your message there. Specificially, you'll want to be able to list at least the following info:
- Price range
- Any of the following items that you care about:
-> minimum screen size and/or screen resolution
-> the main applications that you plan to use the laptop for
-> any special considerations for the keyboard that you care about, such as wanting a separate number pad or anything like that
-> whether or not you care about getting a 32-bit or a 64-bit Operating System
-> minimum battery life

If there are items that you DON'T care about, then saying that you don't care about them can help, too.

Also, the more info that you provide, the better, so if you can think of things that I did not list but are improtant to you, be sure to provide that info, too.

Finally, be sure to come back to this thread once you have made your purchase and have tried it out for a bit. Then you can give us a report on your experience with it, so that others with a similar question in the future can get at least some sort of benchmark model to compare against.

As for Huge Maps, my recommendation is to delay trading for the AIs' World Maps for as long as possible. The more of the map that has been revealed, particularly on larger maps, the laggier your game can be. It can also be a lot more fun to play larger maps by NOT knowing "what's out there" until you come across it, meaning that you can have several "stages" of conflict in the game... first against close neighbours, then against those slightly further away, then finally having conflict (or peaceful relationships) with the AIs that started on the other end of the map.

Getting "more of the game over" before you have to bog-down your computer with a complete World Map can make for a much smoother playing experience than if you try and get the entire world's maps as soon as you learn the Paper technology.

I purchased my laptop with my only criteria being your exact specifications. It plays CIV great! :thumbsup:

I don't know much about computer hardware, but you're on the right track looking for dedicated video memory. In my limited experience that goes a long way towards making a viable 'gaming' laptop.

Top Bottom