1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ IV Reference Charts

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by kroym, Nov 21, 2005.

1. kroym

kroym Chieftain

Hi, everyone. Ever since I started playing this great game Civ IV, I'm constantly asking myself "What does that unit do?" "What does that tech lead to?" "What improvement would be best for this tile?" "What do I need to research to get that building?" "Which promotion should I give this unit?"... :confused: Well you get the idea, and I'm sure quite a few of you have been doing the same thing as well.

Of course, the Civilopedia is always readily available, but frankly, getting around in it is proving to be cumbersome (in my opinion). Everything is listed by icon, but it's too early yet (for me at least) to know everything by icon alone! :crazyeye:

So, I created this set of reference charts. I originally created it in Excel format including a tech tree featuring each tech's details built in Visio. I transferred the info to Word docs so more people can use it. The Excel version doesn't look pretty on the screen, but that's because I set it up to be printed so it can be sitting right next to you, ready for quick access.

I've done my best at being accurate with the information, but I'll bet that there are at least a few errors! If you find something, please don't hesitate to let me know and I'll fix it.

I hope this helps someone out there - I know it's been real useful to me.

kroYM

Here are the charts in Excel format

And in Word format

2. QuikPik

QuikPik Chieftain

Nicely done, thanks !!

3. meowsqueak

meowsqueak Chieftain

Would someone kindly export these to PDF for us Non-Microsoft types, please?

4. TeeAhr1

TeeAhr1 Spiritual/Aggressive

OpenOffice loads/saves Microsoft formats just fine, so quit bellyachin'. The PDF ZIP was too big to upload, but here it is in OpenDocument...

Attached Files:

5. meowsqueak

meowsqueak Chieftain

Thank you. I felt it was an honest and reasonable request - I did not intend to imply any sort of distaste or complaint.

6. TeeAhr1

Not at all. I myself have great distaste and ceaseless complaints about MS Orifice. :ar15:

But really, if you're not there already, you damn well owe it to yourself to try out OpenOffice. Version 2.0 just came out last month, it's quite powerful. /offtopic

7. silverwolf

silverwolf Chieftain

Very nice documents. Thanks for shareing them.

8. kroym

kroym Chieftain

TeeAhr1,

Thanks for getting those to a more universally readable format! I don't really have the means (unless what you did used free software, and if so, what is it?).

Glad you guys like it. Again, please let me know of any errors/suggestions.

kroYM

9. LeSphinx

LeSphinx Bachogwa

Good idea to concentrate all the informations kroym

LeSphinx

10. kroym

kroym Chieftain

11. slowrider

slowrider Warlord

Thanks for the doc...nicely done and useful.

Why do you say the Praetorians are 2X strength of swordsmen? Also the upgrade list doesn't include the Warrier to Swordsman cost. I noticed these two items as they are relevent to the upcoming gotm.

Thanks again.

12. slowrider

slowrider Warlord

Note to SlowRider...Warriers don't upgrade to Swordsmen

13. kroym

kroym Chieftain

slowrider,

Thanks for the heads up on the Praetorians! I don't remember where that came from - maybe the Civ IV information section at CFC? Anyways, I'll change that.

As far as changing the files go, I'm going to hold off until I get a significant amount of needed changes before I re-post the files with the new changes. Until then, those of you that can, you could just make the changes that are mentioned here on your own copy.

Thanks,

kroYM

14. nklatt

nklatt Chieftain

For your next revision you should put these charts in a thread in the Strategy Articles forum - this is important stuff!

15. kroym

kroym Chieftain

nklatt said:
    Yeah, I wasn't sure exactly where to post it, as I haven't seen anything like this. I guess it would be better served over in the Articles section... I'm verifying some of the content now (there's a lot of info there!). Once that's done, I'll post them there.

Thanks!

kroYM

16. TeeAhr1

Yes and yes. http://www.openoffice.org/ Free like speech, free like beer.

17. MichaelD

MichaelD Chieftain

Thanks a lot!

18. tigerden27

tigerden27 Warlord

I just realized something. This would be the perfect time to try OpenOffice.

I just rebuilt my machine to run Civ and get rid of the junk that accumulates with 2 years of computer use. Wow, it's amazing when two completely different things click like that.

Thanks, everybody.

Sorry, in know this was off topic. But it seemed the right to say "Thanks".

19. kroym

kroym Chieftain

In the interest of maximum accuracy, does anyone know if I can extract the specs (cost, tech required, features, etc) for units, buildings, techs, etc. from the XML files? I don't know the first thing about XML, but I'm willing to learn if it'll help me with my set of charts.

I'd rather not have to go through, in-game, all of the stuff I have in the charts just to make sure everything is as accurate as can be! (I've been known to be quite anal from time to time. :mischief: ) There's an incredible amount of information to be checked, though, I don't know of any other way to make sure I've got all the right data.

Thanks!

kroYM

20. Thomas Harris

Thomas Harris Chieftain

Wait a sec, you say the PDF file was BIGGER than the Word DOC???