1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ IV running unplayably slow...

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Technical Support' started by thecaesar, Jun 19, 2013.

1. thecaesar

thecaesar Will appear randomly

Okay, so here's the story. I've played Civ IV on my laptop tons before, it always worked just fine. Just a few weeks ago, my hard drive got corrupted, so I went and bought a new one, installed Windows 7 on it, and got my laptop working again. No big problem, I thought.

So then, I install Civ IV on it. Everything installs as per normal (I've installed it a lot of times on this and other computers, so I know how it works pretty well.) I install BTS and the latest patch, as well, 3.19. I launch the game, everything runs fine, no errors or anything. The title screen works just fine, and so does the game setup. The map and game loads like normal...but when it finishes loading and starts the game, EVERYTHING slows down.

The animation lags and becomes very jerky and such, anything I click on takes at least 4 seconds to respond, even closing the game takes longer than it should.

I know there aren't that many background processes running, I checked task manager and there are only usually about 9 processes running, and the largest of those is usually 40,000k. Whereas Civilization is 140,000k. I also have updated my drivers (as far as I know) and my OS. I have tried a lot of other things, like lowering the graphics settings to the lowest quality possible, on both my computer and on the game, and I checked the CPU usage and available RAM while the game was running, and it wasn't abnormally high.

Can somebody please tell me what is wrong here?! I suspect it might have something to do with the new hard drive or drivers, but I haven't the slightest idea why. It's the same type of hard drive that was in the computer before, and it always worked fine then...and everything else works fine on my computer too. Nothing else is slow. Just Civ. And I already tried uninstalling and reinstalling, that didn't help. And it happens for all versions of Civ: Civ IV vanilla unpatched and patched, and BTS unpatched and patched.

2. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

So did anything I mention in the other post jive at all for you?

3. thecaesar

It could be the GPU, but I have no idea how I'd fix that. Or it could be the drivers, but as far as I know those are up to date...

I'm pretty sure it wasn't background processes though. No scans or updates going on. It's happened consistently, in the same fashion, for two days now.

4. lymond

Well, in order to update your GPU drivers you would go to the vendors site and download. If you have Intel integrated card, I'm not sure what you do with that one. GPU drivers are updated rather frequently. nvidia and ATI (AMD)

If the game was running fine on your machine before, and as it has Win7, I assume that is not very old and 64-bi and you should not have to mess with settings much at all. Normal settings should be fine, although I can't speak to the GPU quality or the RAM.

So my first guess is update your GPU drivers and maybe DirectX as well.

(9 processes running sounds really odd even if you didn't click "show process for all users". Did you deactivate a lot of "services" after installing the new harddrive. I do that myself but you have to be careful not to disable vital services)

And always make sure you install the game and run the game using the "Run As Administrator" option.

5. thecaesar

I have an intel, so yeah D:

It's like, from 2008 or so, and it's 64 bit yes. I don't know the GPU quality, but it has plenty of RAM, 4GB is plenty to run Civ IV.

I know I updated DirectX, and I went into Windows Update and updated everything there, including all optional updates for drivers and everything. So I dunno, unless there's something NOT from Windows Update, then that shouldn't be the problem...

I did deactivate a lot of the crud that came with the new stuff, but I am positive I didn't deactivate anything vital. I know I didn't, cause I do this kind of thing a lot too, for relatives who are very crapware-install-happy.

Pretty much the only things on my computer right now are the basic stuff needed to run the computer, plus Chrome and AVG and Civ.

And I'm running it as the admin, since there are only two accounts on the computer and both are administrators.

6. lymond

I'm mean actual "Run As Administrator". On install you use the right click context menu. For the game, find the BTS executable, right click>properties>compatibility tab>click the "Run As Administrator" checkbox.

Your laptop sounds fine for Civ, although in the future I would avoid integrated graphic cards if you want to game. I still recommend verifying that the card has the most up to date drivers. Probably just go to your Device Monitor>Display Adapters and right click>Update Driver Software (use the web option)

Other than that you might re-install again using the steps outlined in this post:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=408537

If all else fails, barring someone posting better options here, you might want to reformat the hardrive/reinstall OS and try the game prior to deactivating services and crapware.

7. vincentz

vincentz Programmer

it sounds like the GPU is running in VGA mode.

maybe try to install another 3D game and see if it works.

8. thecaesar

Trust me, it's installed correctly, I've done it tons of times on Windows 7 and it's worked fine.

As for the Video Card Drivers, I checked and they are up to date, unless my computer is lying to me.

And I looked up what VGA mode was and I have no idea how it could have gotten into that mode, and no idea how I would get it out of that mode, and I have never heard of VGA mode before. And everything else on the computer works fine EXCEPT, I tried to play Chess Titans, a 3D game that comes with Windows 7, and it acted the same way. It's definitely the 3D graphics.

Um...but now that I've figured this out I have very little idea what to do. xD

9. kiwitt

kiwitt Road to War Modder

Can you run dxdiag and attach the log file here.