Civ MMO?

Sounds like Age of Empires online in a way.

http://ageofempiresonline.com/

Can't really pass judgment on it as I know so little about it but this sounds like a
really bad idea so far.

Perhaps XL Games (a South Korean company) figures the best way to sell Civilization is through an MMO as they are quite popular over there.

I'm going to have issues figuring out a way that game would satisfy both of these statements:
1) The game is anything like the main Civilization franchise.
2) The game isn't horrifically imbalanced (wouldn't the older, Future Era, players just wipe out all the new, Ancient era, ones - or would there be different servers - or what)?

Hopefully it's nothing like the load of browser MMO-RTS clones that are all equally terrible.

And hopefully it doesn't go overboard on the microtransactions (Which are pretty much guaranteed to be there in spades).

I would be lying if I said I'm not the least bit interested in this. CivWorld I knew would suck but it's XL Games! Still, of all the games to turn into an MMO....

I suppose it's a logical conclusion to make Civ into an MMO. After all, strategy games just aren't contemporary anymore. :rolleyes:

I'm just trying to wrap my brain around how it would work. You can't give everyone their own Civ. What happens when your civ is conquered?

Umm, well certainly interesting.

Since many South Korean games (mostly fantasy mmo's and the such) are riddled with things such as grinding and tedious tasks...and cash shops...I dearly hope this mmo doesn't turn out the same. I can't really say anything on this now. I hope it turns out ok.

"Kill a 100 Barbarians to unlock the Barracks"

Pay $4.99 to gain the allegiance of a City State temporarily.

Oh wait! That's basically the way they operate in Civilization 5 already! Lol.

Terrible news!

I hate change too.

You see, there are types of change. Jamming my favourite game series, a very unique and beautifully shaped peg, in to the generic MMORPG square hole system is just disgraceful and quite frankly ridiculous. I have no problem Civ Rev, but this is just a step in the crazy direction, especially considering the number of failed MMORPGs.

Change is a good thing, and you know what Civ V is the good kind. However taking a series and just jamming it into whatever some overpaid executive decided whilst having his morning glass of Champagne decided isn't exactly something that fills me with confidence. I hope if they try this it crashes and burns horribly so they know to stop with good game series!

You see, there are types of change. Jamming my favourite game series, a very unique and beautifully shaped peg, in to the generic MMORPG square hole system is just disgraceful and quite frankly ridiculous. I have no problem Civ Rev, but this is just a step in the crazy direction, especially considering the number of failed MMORPGs.

Change is a good thing, and you know what Civ V is the good kind. However taking a series and just jamming it into whatever some overpaid executive decided whilst having his morning glass of Champagne decided isn't exactly something that fills me with confidence. I hope if they try this it crashes and burns horribly so they know to stop with good game series!

Civ V is still there. No reason not to appeal to other markets.

Civ V is still there. No reason not to appeal to other markets.

There is if they get the idea that the other markets should become the main one. There is no need to "look to other markets" with the series.

Speaking of a Civ MMO: I guess Age of Empires Online is the most natural comparison/forecast available. Age of Empires Online is ok, not as grindy as most MMOs *coughWorldofWarcraftcough*, though I can understand why most Civ veterans would poopoo the idea of an MMO (after all, it's a generally terrible timesink of a genre with poor gameplay and arrogant jerks online to boot). Still, have hope!

Age of Empires Online, if it's any indication, is a nice positive step forward for strategy game MMOs. The problem is I don't see strategy game MMOs really satisfying veterans in the long run. Age of Empires Online is a simplified mix of all the previous Age of Empires games from I-III and Age of Mythology. A Civ based MMO will likely also be simplified, but who knows, it may have its own charms. Age of Empires Online certainly has a lot of potential, though having played through it, I will say it's rather limited in content right now.

Top Bottom