Civ Specific Abilities

DaEezT

Civ, Pizza, Spam, Repeat
I am kinda bored at work so I'll share my "wisdom" with you :)

The following stuff is based on what I looked up in the rules using the editor and from my playing experiance.

Scientific - Overall: Good
Cheaper Buildings - affects 3 buildings(Library, University & research Lab). Everyone needs new techs so this makes it pretty useful since it's likely you build all those buildings in every city. Also the library produces 3 culture per turn fromthe start on compared to the 2/turn of the temple(although the temple increases it's production over time faster than the library) which makes it my #1 chice as first building(rush it) on frontline cities for fast culture growth. This advantage is getting less significant in the later game since the time you save isn't that much.
Free Techs - 3 Techs, doesn't sound afully much BUT it's quite usefull! you get those techs as soon as you enter a new era, so it's most likely that every of those techs would take you about 7 turns to research. so 3 free techs = 21 turns saved! and techs have a minimal research time of 4 turns so you always save at least 12 turns. But as soon as you reach the modern era this advantage is gone.

Militaristic - Overall: Good
Faster Promotion - very usefull! not only are more likely to get GL(which is still hard enough) you also get more elite units during your conquest which can give you the slight advantage you need to win the war. This advantage loses a bit of it's significance as soon as you have your first leader, make an army, win a fight and build armies using the military academy. But it's never completely useless, unless you have 100% elite units.
Cheaper Buildings - Now this was a suprise for me when I looked at the rules! 6 buildings are considered militaristic: barracks, walls, SAM battary, costal fortress, habour & airport! This advantage gets less usefull with time. SAM battary and airport are fast enough to build even without this bonus, but 6 buildings faster in each city might alltogether save you a few turns per city, turns for building units ;)

Commercial - Overall: (very) Good
Extra Commerce - well, not the big hit since corruption is so worse outside your capital that you won't be able to really enjoy it apart prom the cities having palace /forbidden palace. Basically it's like this: as soon as you have at leas one point of corruption this extra commerce point is negated. So I consider it as a startup boost. you ca use this extra commerce in your capital and the cities near it, and since everything is based on money the extra commerce might come in handy.
Lower Corruption - now this is the big hit! With 50% of my money going dowm the drain(under Republic) every little bit helps. But this bonus is kinda.. "unpredictable". I would need numbers for a exact evaluation. Is this "lower curruption" = 1 gold per city or maybe 2? Depending on how much that "lower corruption" is in gold this Ability has what it takes to be the best in the game.

Religous - Overall: (Good)Average
Cheaper Buildings - This only covers 2 buildings! Militaristic cover 3 times as many!!! Kinda disapointing since in the early game the happyness given by temples can easily be replaced by happyness from troops & goods.
Shorter Anarchy - can be very usefull! I never counted the turns but I think anarchy is normally 5 turns(maybe more) while it's only 1 turn for Religous! that saves you 8 turns for a Republic -> Democracy development. 8 turns in which you get money, you can research and produce while other can't! But this bonus depends on the map size. on a Huge map this means that your 40+ cities give you 8 more turns of full tax income and production.
For maps up to normal it's seems average to me, above that it is good.

Industrial - Overall: Average
extra production - basically it's the same as extra commerce -> only usefull in your capital and cities near it. As soon as you produce at least 1 point of waste this bonus is negated. Even under Democracy and with a courthouse in every city no city(not even the one with forbidden palace) is without at leat 1 oint of waste! basically this makes this bonus somewhat useless unless you have a city in the middle of floodplains which can't be mines, but then: what good is 1 shield more...
Faster Workers - Usefull in the early game. build you trade network quickly and get those mines on the grassland faster. Handy, but only to a certain degree. until you switch government most of the terrain improvements won't give you their full bonus. So there is no real advantage in having the grassland irrigation finished faster etc. also the hig amount of waste dosn't make it neccessary to have dozens of mines ASAP.
The high waste basically made Industrial somewhat less usefull :/

Expansionist - Overall: (Below) Average
Free Scout - I already started on a rather small island wthout goody huts more than once and in that case this scout is useless. till you get map making each of the enemies will have several cities(note down the time you got it and look at the number of cities at that time in the replay) and most likely already taken all goody huts. Also the scout is slowed dowm by jungle/forest/hills etc.
Beter Stuff From Goody Huts - Well, better stuff doesn't mean exclusive! other civs can get the same stuff. just because you take 4 goody huts doen't mean the other didn't. And this bonus is also pretty much negated if you start on an small Island!
Overall I thin this Abilioty the worst of them. It can be of average usefullness if you take a huge map with little water and dry climate to minimize jungle/forests so that your scouts can move unhindered over a large landscape and collect goody huts.

I finally learned what part of "Beter Stuff From Goody Huts" is -
You don't find barbarians in those huts.

Top Bottom