Civ V is playable on a computer well below minimum specs

mantis2007

Chieftain
Specs:

Windows 7 Professional (32-bit)
Core 2 Quad Q8400 at 2.66GHz
4GB RAM (~3.21GB usable)
Graphics: Intel Q45/Q43 Express Chipset, ~1GB shared graphics memory (note: not a standalone graphics card)
1280x1024 native resolution
DirectX 10 supported

This computer doesn't meet specs mainly because it doesn't have a proper graphics card. However, this system has a nice processor and a decent amount of RAM. And the integrated graphics chip isn't too bad as these things go (DirectX 10 is nice), but it's still definitely below the minimum specs set by Firaxis.

Sadly, just starting the game on default settings didn't work -- the computer crashed to a blue screen immediately after I clicked "Options" on the Main Menu.

Using configuration files, I set the game to Windowed mode (not full screen). The game then successfully started up and remained stable. From there, I set the game's video resolution down to 1280x800. All graphics settings were set to their lowest option, and I also disabled vertical sync. This seemed to work. The game is stable and playable in both DirectX 9 and DirectX 10/11.

I played a few turns of a new game, and I also played a saved game set in the industrial era, both on a standard sized map with default options.

Result? The game runs well enough to be enjoyable, in both strategic view (where performance is quite good) and in regular view, where performance is OK but not great (pronounced stuttering during scrolling and some graphics glitches like tile yields not displaying properly).

I certainly wouldn't recommend this setup as the default for anyone, but I'm surprised that the game even started up at all. Nice work, Firaxis. The game scales very very well.

Top Bottom