1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ V Modding

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Aesir Rising, May 17, 2010.

1. Vordrax

Vordrax Chieftain

I think it's a case of you clearly not understanding my explanation, since we're going to subjectively determine who is "clearly understanding" of anything.

2. eireksten

eireksten Protective/Organized

Though there are an exponential amount of combinations of DLC, the amount of combinations really doesn't matter. For each set of DLC you own, you also own each subset. Thus the amount of combinations you own grow exponentially in a similar fashion as the amount of total combinations. A mod requiring DLC could be played by all players owning at least this set of DLC.

Thus you won't divide the community into 2^(DLC) different group. You will place them in a pyramid, where everyone will have access to the entire pyramid below them. I believe most (good) mods will require few or none DLC, though, so most gamers will have free access to them.

Not that it really matters, as the amount of combinations really is irrelevant to this discussion. But it seemed you emphasized this, so I thought I'd mention it.

Anyway, I look forward to hearing more from Firaxis on these matters.

3. ShaqFu

ShaqFu Requires Nanotechnology

Again, you'll have to forgive my inexperience; I've only very briefly played the stock total conversions that came with BTS, and don't have a readily-available copy of Civ4 to fire up right now to learn.

For the TCs, don't they usually pull from an independent set of leaders, or only use a fixed set? Again, I'm not clear how one additional entry in the leaders file alters anything significant, other than data that gets ignored. If I'm playing something like the Star Trek TC, I'm not following how the existence of Nebuchadnezzar will influence a leader set consisting of Picard, Kahless, and Locutus.

4. CyberChrist

CyberChrist You caught my attention

On this we agree. :)

5. deanej

deanej Deity

It depends on how any block is made and how well it accounts for total conversion mods. The problem starts to arise with stuff like RFC, which modifies info for both the civs and leaders.

6. ShaqFu

ShaqFu Requires Nanotechnology

Wouldn't you be better off rolling your own leaders.xml (or leaders.lua or \leaders\) in that case, then, and pointing the mod at that file? You'll grow the filesize a tiny bit, but avoid any compatibility issues with previously altered leaders files (both by DLC and other mods).

7. deanej

deanej Deity

I mention RFC because a mod like that would be almost certain to use Babylon. You have a modding can of worms if you do, and historical issues if you don't.

8. Thyrwyn

Thyrwyn Guardian at the Gate

What would RFC do if there were no official Babylon (as we thought there wouldn't be until recently)?

9. DripInc.

DripInc. Chieftain

I always thought it would be cool to have an in-game modding system. :mischief: No knowledge of XML needed, just upload your art, add names to your new feature and play it.

10. deanej

deanej Deity

Not have it, but now there's an issue; RFC for civ5 is going to have issues. Either you have to include Babylon, and unfairly make it so that users of the regular edition can't play, or you don't include it and unfairly make it so deluxe users are denied Babylon.

11. Thyrwyn

Thyrwyn Guardian at the Gate

No, you don't. There is no reason that a mod which "doesn't include babylon" could not be played by someone who has the Deluxe edition. There just isn't. Might it be that way? Sure, if Firaxis intentionally made it that way. An extra civ just doesn't impose that kind of programming requirement.

That is like saying that an "ancient world" mod could not be made if it didn't include America - since everybody HAS America. It just isn't the case. In fact, both Firaxis and the designers of RFC could make it so that Babylon could appear in the mod if and only if you had the Deluxe edition.

Look, it is obvious that you have done more modding than me, but given my understanding of C++, I just don't understand why you are insisting that this is the case. Babylon is just an extra instance of a class, it doesn't change the base game at all.

Why would it have to be different?

12. Ahriman

Ahriman Tyrant

... or RFC could just create its own new "Babylon" faction, and Spain faction, and so forth.

A mod is a self-standing piece. It can have any or none of the factions in the vanilla game, or new factions that weren't in the original game.

13. deanej

deanej Deity

I never said the mod couldn't be played. I said you wouldn't be able to play as Babylon in the mod.

Fan-created Babylon and Spain would be inferior to Firaxis versions, especially given the full-size leaders. Some of us do care about how the graphics look.

14. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Super Moderator Supporter

Technically, it might also be like in the suggested MP solution:
    If you have a mod with babylon, but you don't have Babylon yourself, then you can't play it in your mod.

Yes, but an expansion mod would have some serious problems with that ;).
    Total conversions don't.

This also leads me to the thought, that they might allow it to add the DLC to total conversions, because then it's another game (more or less), and the normal user is probably not able to ripp it out of a mod.

15. deanej

deanej Deity

Yeah, it's the mid-range mods that are gonna have to deal with this. Add-a-something type mods and total conversions don't have this issue.