Civ V shuts down my computer

I've been experiencing the same thing for a few months now. I have pretty good laptop to be doing all this too. I got a cooler pad, which ?may? have prolonged the shut down, and I tried the FurMark, which didn't do the same thing.

Dell Studio XPS
1.6 Ghz Intel i7
8 GB
ATI HD5700

If only civ is a problem...yeah...then the problem lies in the code, and only Firaxis can fix it :/.
May i guess that the graphical settings are already turned down? Everything which lowers processor and graphics card load can help.

It happened to me a number of times ! Mostly just after regenerating the map (the hard way, obviously !) but also at random turns. I'm pretty certain it involves the pathfinding issue ! As a result, I wait until next patch to play again. Thank you, Firaxis, for your great work on this ... errrr ... 'product'.

I have exactly the same issue. I used to have it on my 3850 HD. I gave it a try yesterday with a new graphic card : HD 4870 and after an hour or two, I hadthe same problem one again. By the way, I noticed that the comuter was very warm, I ll try to override the fan managment system of my GC. I ll let you know if it work.

Welcome to all new users! :beer:

Still no sign of some posted in-game temperatures... Get to work people! :)

After reading this thread, I too was suspecting hardware.

I recently installed a brand new GTX 560 TI and my rig would consistently crash a few turns in.
I still think my card is running hot; testing with Furmark, I crash pretty quickly. So i've probably got a GPU overheating issue.

That being said, for some of you, if you’re not overheating, I would like to draw your attention to another Fanatics thread:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=418560

Here it is suggested that the crashes are related to the “GraphicsSettingsDX11.ini” settings for “LeaderTextureBackgroundLoad” and recommends changing from “LeaderTextureBackgroundLoad=0” to “LeaderTextureBackgroundLoad=3” (or higher).

After reading this thread, I too was suspecting hardware.

I recently installed a brand new GTX 560 TI and my rig would consistently crash a few turns in.
I still think my card is running hot; testing with Furmark, I crash pretty quickly. So i've probably got a GPU overheating issue.

At least a reference design GTX 560 should be next to impossible to overheat. How high IS the GPU temperature? Sure your PSU is up to it?

Several patches and driver updates later, just curious if people are still getting this odd behavior.

Several patches and driver updates later, just curious if people are still getting this odd behavior.

Yes, I have it now. Never had it before, but after the latest patch(?) the game has begun to shut my comp very quickly. I don't think it's heat, the last time it crashed GPU heat was only 66C. FurMark heats it up to 80C and it still won't shut the computer. The latest crash came just when I was about to meet another leader, so it may be a leaderhead thing. I have GTX 460 and the latest drivers.

Yes, I have it now. Never had it before, but after the latest patch(?) the game has begun to shut my comp very quickly. I don't think it's heat, the last time it crashed GPU heat was only 66C. FurMark heats it up to 80C and it still won't shut the computer. The latest crash came just when I was about to meet another leader, so it may be a leaderhead thing. I have GTX 460 and the latest drivers.

As far as I know, there's isn't any game that directly cause hardware shutdown. They might indirectly affect some hardware, but they don't cause shutdowns.

Would you mind posting your Power supply watts?.

Also the latest patch might have changed something on the code that makes the game use more resources or use some special feature that is unstable on your machine. Just wondering.

Other thing: Unless you have a very "veery" bad cooling the vcard would not really go beyond 70ºc. Perhaps it could overheat if you don't have good cooling and stress too much the vcard by setting all to max HD (16x AA, thing like that).

The leaderheads crashing might not be related with the other symptons you have. Game it's still unstable, I sometimes crash on leaderhead too.

Been having the same hardware problems here. Was also experiencing crashes to the desktop, but those have since gone away and now I'm back to this hardware problem.

Summer temperatures are finally setting in here in Toronto, and my apartment warms up pretty quickly too. This has got to be temperature related.

I downloaded HWMonitor and checked out how hot it's getting in there: During a game my Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT got up to 76 C, with the fans cranked up all the way to 100%. However my Intel Quad Core got up to almost 80 C (79 C before I closed the game).

This game is stressing out my computer - and me.

My problem could very well be dust related. I've been reading up on how to resolve CPU overheating and the one piece of advice that came up the most was to open her up and clear out any dust. I'll give that a try tomorrow, see how it goes. Does anybody else have any advice for keeping things cool? (Preferably a solution that won't cost me money.)

As far as I know, there's isn't any game that directly cause hardware shutdown. They might indirectly affect some hardware, but they don't cause shutdowns.

Would you mind posting your Power supply watts?.

Also the latest patch might have changed something on the code that makes the game use more resources or use some special feature that is unstable on your machine. Just wondering.

Other thing: Unless you have a very "veery" bad cooling the vcard would not really go beyond 70ºc. Perhaps it could overheat if you don't have good cooling and stress too much the vcard by setting all to max HD (16x AA, thing like that).

The leaderheads crashing might not be related with the other symptons you have. Game it's still unstable, I sometimes crash on leaderhead too.

I don't think it's power supply. This kind of thing happens with no other game (even with those that should stress hardware more). That 80c is with FurMarks extreme stress test. I haven't seen it going pass 70c with any game. I have cleaned all dust from fans etc. However, when I changed the leaderhead settings to minimum (there are only still pictures now, how cool :crazyeye:), it seems it's no longer crashing.

Civ 5 overheats my GPU's also. I am running across three 24" 1920 X 1200 monitors in surround so my game resolution is 5760 X 1200, OK so that takes some serious GPU power I admit that. I am driving the graphics with a pair of EVGA GTX 580's in SLI. Everything in my rig is overbuilt, liquid cool, 12 Gb ram, Lots of air culation around the Mobo, SSD for boot, Civ 5 loaded on a pair of Raptors in RAID 0, Etc. no details left undone.
Civ 5 overhears my GPU's to almost 90C when in mid game. The system does not crash and it handles it but no other game, no other video rendering, no other program, benchmark or group of apps run my GPU temps above 75 C and they run normally in the low to mid 30's. For those of you who are doubting your hardware, dont. This is crappy code in that regard. I am convinced that this game stresses GPU's like nothing else I have seen which is really strange as there is really not that much going on from a graphics standpoint.

I would suggest the problem is too efficient code, rather than too crappy.
Efficient as in "really good in coming close to the theoretical maximum throughput of modern video cards". There is a specific thread about that somewhere in GD. And the standard cooling solutions are not designed to cope with that.

And while optimizing for that goal they lost track of the fact that the average gamer would be more interested in the result of that software engineering marvel :mischief:

I would suggest the problem is too efficient code, rather than too crappy.
Efficient as in "really good in coming close to the theoretical maximum throughput of modern video cards". There is a specific thread about that somewhere in GD. And the standard cooling solutions are not designed to cope with that.

And while optimizing for that goal they lost track of the fact that the average gamer would be more interested in the result of that software engineering marvel :mischief:

Well facts are against that, unfortunately. Specially when you see that they worked with Nvidia and not with ATI (Explaining the unusually high problem rate with ATI users).

The question is: Is this efficiency?
The game itself does not have as much eyecandy as the original Crysis or similar graphic-intensive games (Crysis2 has been dumbed down for consoles, BTW so it does not count), however it somehow stresses the computer way more than anything else. Some argue that is because the AI's and everything. I've read somewhere that's because the game engine renders EVERY unit on the entire map and it's movement and then decides whether or not it should show that unit to the player. Or something like that.

Also, gamers care about results (and gameplay) while modders care about how easy it is to mod the game. Tell me if the results and the modding is at what is expected.

1. Specially when you see that they worked with Nvidia and not with ATI (Explaining the unusually high problem rate with ATI users).

2.Also, gamers care about results (and gameplay) while modders care about how easy it is to mod the game. Tell me if the results and the modding is at what is expected.
1. It's the other way around. NVidia supports game developers much better than AMD/ATI, hence on average less driver/compatibility problems with nVidia cards.
2. Therefore I used the :mischief: :)

I've just purchased Civ V and am having the same random shut down events. Both times the following has happened:

1. Load game
2. Play for ~15-20 min
3. Laptop spontaneously and immediately shuts down completely

My specs:
Dell XPS M1530
Core2 Duo @ 2.5 GHz
4 GB RAM
32-bit Windows Vista SP1
DirectX 9.0 version of Civ being run

My computer gets pretty hot pretty quickly, but I can't remember this ever happening before. On a side note, I don't have SP2 because I couldn't connect to the internet after installing that, so I had to system-restore back to SP1. I hope I don't have to choose between internet connectivity & Civ V.

Any thoughts on what may be the problem? I assume that Civ V is updated to the most recent patch through Steam, but have no way of confirming that.

Top Bottom