1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ V - what do people think?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Fall from Heaven' started by tharg, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Tielby

Tielby Prince

What's this game, "School", that you speak of? Normally I wouldn't expect much from a game with such a moniker but you seem to be implying that School is causing you to turn of Civ V, so it must be great! INQUIRING MINDS WANT TO KNOW!

;):lol:

2. DirtyFinger

DirtyFinger Prince

must be this one: http://www.rockstargames.com/bully/home/

3. Ribusprissin

Ribusprissin Warlord

I think they should have made the luxury and food resources more like Civ 4 system

4. thomas.berubeg

thomas.berubeg Wandering the World

Well, CiV is good, but it's not FFH... damn, we're spoiled

5. SolkaTruesilver

SolkaTruesilver Chieftain

No, as weird as it may sounds, they should have made the luxury and food resource more like Civ V system for Strategic resources; having nodes of "x" resources that scales up.

6. Valkrionn

Valkrionn The Hamster King

I rather agree, at least for food resources (for specialized buildings; I'm doing that in my mod). I would do something similar for Luxuries, but without some DLL work the extras would be solely for trade and therefore I won't do it. :lol:

7. SolkaTruesilver

I proposed the idea earlier: make Luxury ressource's happiness effect not capped.

For example, the 1st amount of resource gives you +1 happiness, and it would scale like that:

1 Luxury: +1 Happiness
    3 Luxuries: +2 Happiness
    6 Luxuries: +3
    10 : +4
    15: +5
    21: +6

If you get [Wonder], the increase will decrease)

For each individual resources. A worked natural spot of Gold might provide you naturally with 2 gold. But a mine will double(triple?) that amount. Technology will also, over time, increase that amount. So an initial 3 gold might yield 9 into the classical ages, and 15 in modern ages.

If you have, let's say, 18 gold, you have an excess of 3 you might want to trade to get 3 whales, which is +2 happiness. Or you can trade away the other 5 (-1Happiness) to get 3 Ivory and 1 Incense (+3 happiness).

That way, the game rewards holding a monopoly on a ressource, as you can have more complex trade agreements over small quantity of luxury ressources. But you can also want to get all the available [Luxury] around.

8. Valkrionn

That is what I would do, were it possible. However, it is not, not without DLL. It is exactly those modifications that I had in mind when I stated that.

9. thFrgttn

thFrgttn Chieftain

I quite like Civ V - Its got great potential.
    I am getting a little tried of it being compared to BTS (If your going to compare it to anything then it should be the intial vanilla Civ IV (ie. unpatched)

As for FFh possibilities, if think the new civics system a great potential when combined with alignment.
    Also really interested in how city states can be adapted - Dragons could make a good city state - powerful, belligerent, makes arrogant demands (requires lots of gold) but if you can win them over then you've a great ally.
    Other city states could try an seduce you to the dark side by promising big rewards (perhaps joining your civ and offering unique units and building that are not available if you just conquer them.)

For this to work then the city states also need to be much more difficult to wipe of the board than they are now.

10. SolkaTruesilver

You've said it all.

Civ V has the potential of being even better than Civ IV. To be one of the best. It's just that all these wonderful and addicting mechanics haven't been fully exploited yet. I think they might have ran into monetary trouble, and had to cut corners.

Seriously, just with what we have, there is more than a little chance that the game become incredibly awesome.

11. [to_xp]Gekko

[to_xp]Gekko QCT junkie

agreed. great framework to build upon, but right now as a whole it's very very lacking compared to ffh. ffh depth just blows civ5 away.

12. kumquatelvis

kumquatelvis Prince

If I recall there was going to be no FF port to Civ5 because Kael was working on his own project. But now that that (unfortunately) did not work out... Well, probably not, but I can dream.

13. SolkaTruesilver

The sad part is, we can't sell FFH's mods, nor try to turn a profit out of it. I'd be more than happy to pay Kael for that kind of work if there was possibility of profit for all of us.

What would you think if there were FFH-quality mods on sale for... let's say, 5-10$?

14. DirtyFinger

DirtyFinger Prince

if kael hasn't given up on developing his baby commercially then he should consider licensing the civ5 engine.
    personally i wouldn't mind playing it for free as a mod, though. :)

15. Valkrionn

They won't license the civ5 engine for some time, according to what they've said in interviews. Though licensing it (or working with) a modder may be a different story... I know I'd pay for an FfH 'expansion' (in the same way Colonization was an expansion). ;)

16. squadbroken

squadbroken King

Civ 5 is great. Sure, it has problems, but after playing it I can no longer force myself to fire up BTS/FFH/etc and deal with the awful combat and all the PITA quirks.

17. Grey Fox

Grey Fox Master of Points

Disregarding all balance, bug and various issues; Civ5 is like the most fun Civilization experience I've had.

18. Chip56

Chip56 King

Somehow that formulation made me smile. If i ignore all problems with a game its allmost certainly the best game if i include the problems of the others in the comparison ;)

19. SolkaTruesilver

Not really.

Balance is mostly through numerical values in the game, easy to change.

Bugs are things that are going to get fixed.

But even with those elements, people are still having a lot of fun. So they probably tell themselves that if you take away elements easily solvable with dedicated support, this game has the potential of being the best game to play. The core gameplay is fun, and that's all that matters.

20. Valkrionn

Exactly what Solka said. ;)