Civ VI - Beta Gauntlet II

SV turn 180!
Well done fantastic time.:goodjob:

2nd submission: 1808AD Turn 275 Space Race Victory

Second Attempt: Turn 289

Well done for the improvements. :)

In general, thanks everyone for sharing your tips and strategies. Certainly has made me realise I don't know what I'm doing most of the time :lol:

Can we use mods that provide better information, but do not alter game play? Like BUG/BUFFY for Civ IV BtS.

In particular, I would like to try the Better Trade Screen mod:

Sorry, haven't looked at this yet. Will get back to you.

They are not jungle, I can chop them, and right there is a graslland with nothing... but anyway even if I buy the tile I can't place the district there.

I don't get it.

Is the tile "owned" by a different city? You can tell by clicking the citizen management button: does the tile have the citizen icon on it, or "swap"? If "swap", it's owned by a different city but you can take it from that city by clicking "swap" and then build your district.

Quick question: Do you *always* conquer the neighbours or just if they're close?
It depends. If they're close enough then certainly. If further away, then sometimes I might. Probably will if the army I already built for some closer target is enough to take out the next one as well. I wouldn't for example build a new medieval army to attack some far away civ. Inland Sea is a bit tricky as it is so large and distances can be huge.

I tried starting some maps for this but I keep running into the invisible rivers bug. I read that it is something that happens specifically on Inland Sea maps. Also in RaidandTrade's latest finish save I cannot see any of the rivers in the northwestern part of the map unless I go into strategic view. Can anyone else see them in regular view?

Well, this is my first game ever with gandhi.

And dammit he sucks ~_~
Varu takes too much to build, stepwell barely do anything, his power was useless, so yeah he must be one of the worst leader in the game.

Anyhow, i guess starting close to rainforests is major obstacle. Either that, or i did something wrong.. Probably because i dont do commercial hubs much. I will try to have more trades and gold flowing next time. Will probably cut lots of things to prioritize other things, since a lot of things arent really useful in Gandhi.

Well, greetings fellow gauntlets!

Attachments

• GANDHI 271 1800 AD.Civ6Save
    2.3 MB · Views: 93
@RaidandTrade, I had a look at your save. If you want to improve, there are two areas you should focus on:

-Keep your empire more compact
-Build less unnecessary stuff

Thank you for these suggestions, they're very specific and explains a lot of things. The best time I made for SV so far is replaying GOTM1, turn 259 using the strategies whacker and you laid out. After 3 games of inland sea and Ghandi I needed a change.

Since we're at it, let me ask: How many early campus districts do you build? How early? In beelining techs like industrialization and the spaceport tech, do you aggressively do it or wait for the eureka?

Also, in waging war: I think I'm ok, but how do you do it? In terms of number of units and composition? In "being aggressive", do you attack multiple cities, civs or city states at the same time? In aiming for 20+ cities, when should I have these? In my experience some of my cities are founded late, when IZ's and buildings are already being built.

Also, the build order for districts and buildings, do you build the ones which finish sooner or prioritize production first? And also, a full IZ I take it means workshop + factory + powerplant?

Since we don't have a new GOTM or gauntlet as of now I'll play a game as Bismarck and try to improve further.

Again, thanks a lot civfanatics!

While we're at it, i think i'm at loss about some of the terms here. What does IZ means? :/

T240 science victory, score of 680 (I think?)

Rolled a pretty nice start in lots of hills and rivers on my first try. Conquered two of my neighbors to take a good chunk of the southwest. Four of the other civs were crowded in the northwest. Stopped with about 17 or 18 cities, probably could have used a few more. I think I need to improve on my initial expansion rate.

Got the +10% and +1500 space race great people but only uncovered the +100% and +3000 with a few turns left, was unable to recruit either. But I did get Mary Leakey and the rainforest scientist; they ensured that production, not science, was the bottleneck.

Any tips on getting culture (without unnecessarily sacrificing science and production)? It was past t200 before I managed to get democracy.

Thanks to those who have posted tips and strategies - there's no way I would have done this well without them. The use of district projects in particular was not an obvious strategy to me.

Attachments

• GANDHI 240 1645 AD.Civ6Save
    2 MB · Views: 80
  • GANDHI 1 4000 BC - A.Civ6Save
    341.2 KB · Views: 94
"No IZ" SV T225

Not so good starting location (but two horses nearby). No Hong Kong. No Toronto. No close-by AI.
I played this game mostly as an experiment to gauge how much gold would be needed to complete all space parts through GP acquisition. The answer: 117K. However, it was the worst case scenario as I needed to buy Correa and Paxton before getting Von Braun. In the best possible scenario (assuming the AI is competitive in tech and GP acquisition which is only likely on Deity), you would only need around 50K gold. Before playing this game, I however did not know this and I ended up finishing Big Ben too early. Had I known the right amount beforehand, I could have shaved off around 10-15 turns easily as the last 25 turns were just all about getting the money needed. The map also only had 1 mercantile CS and it was at the complete opposite side of the map (out of Trade Route range most of the game).

I think you can reliably get sub T200 victories with any civilization with any type of map with this strategy as long as you have the following conditions
1) 2 Science CS (to compensate for little to no Campus Research Grants)
2) 2 Mercantile CS (with at least one within Trade Route range of most of your cities)

Overall, this strategy is much more flexible than going for an IZ city cluster, however you will not get finish times as fast as with an IZ cluster bonanza with Hong Kong, Toronto and Stockholm.

Note: I did capture one IZ and build 3-4 other as I was testing things, however I did not get any factory in this game.

Noteworthy events in this game:
First time I have seen an AI completely wipe out another AI in one of my games. However, I am not sure if I should congratulate Rome for taking down Arabia or shame Arabia for still having only one city after 100 turns.
One of my units got it hit by a "ghost" encampment. Indeed, when I attacked Russia's last city Peter decided to start building an encampment in it while it was under siege. Too late you say? Well that encampment under construction was still able to shoot one of my units (got a notification for it).

Attachments

• GANDHI 225 1570 AD.Civ6Save
    1.6 MB · Views: 86
  • Civ6Screen0006.jpg
    Civ6Screen0006.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 115
T 249,

Save game from "just one more turn".

I can say that I barely have an idea of what I'm doing. I tried to go for mass IZ and campus but I completely missunderstood the use of money in the game and I had all GP + IZ Buildings and 30K money to spend on nothing lol.

Trying to start a new game but I am not sure if I'm going to make it. But here is le submission.

Attachments

• GANDHI 250 1695 AD.Civ6Save
    1.7 MB · Views: 79
  • Clipboard02.jpg
    Clipboard02.jpg
    796.6 KB · Views: 95
That's really cool @DanQuayle! I've wanted to try something similar and play games where I completely ignore one of the big three districts. I think fast science victories can be achieved completely without Commercial Hubs as well. Without Campuses it would be difficult.

Since we're at it, let me ask: How many early campus districts do you build? How early? In beelining techs like industrialization and the spaceport tech, do you aggressively do it or wait for the eureka?
As soon as I reach writing I at least place a Campus in all the cities I have at the time. Unless I can very shortly acquire a tile somewhere that gives much better adjacency bonus, then I might wait a bit. How many and how early depends, but usually the first 3 districts I complete are Campuses.

On the beeline towards Industrialization I usually complete all eurekas but Sailing and Shipbuilding. Often I get Sailing as well, but I wouldn't choose a worse spot for a city only to get it. From Industrialization to Electricity I complete none of the eurekas. No Harbors, no Musketmen, no Privateers. I might try to change my strategy here so that I do build the 2 Harbors somewhere instead of 2 Commercial Hubs, just not sure when to fit in Astrology and Celestial Navigation. The Eurekas I usually never complete from there on the way to Rocketry are Sanitation, Chemistry and Radio. Flight I have maybe once got from early Ruhr, but mostly that would be too late. Scientific Theory eureka depends on culture rate. Sometimes I get it in time, sometimes not. Great Scientists can help a lot with the random eurekas they give. Seoul can also be very helpful. I've often used Galileo (250 science per adjacent mountain) to tech Electricity.
Also, in waging war: I think I'm ok, but how do you do it? In terms of number of units and composition? In "being aggressive", do you attack multiple cities, civs or city states at the same time? In aiming for 20+ cities, when should I have these? In my experience some of my cities are founded late, when IZ's and buildings are already being built.
Unit numbers and composition depends. Usually I do a bunch of archers and one warrior for the first target, then add some horsemen for the next war, if I have 2 horses. I'd very rarely attack multiple cities.

When to have x cities depends. The sooner the better, of course, but there cannot be any hard rule. Building more cities when Industrial Zone buildings are up is fine. I usually do that as well, to fill in any empty spots near my spaceport city. With surrounding power plants the new cities are very fast to get up and running.
Also, the build order for districts and buildings, do you build the ones which finish sooner or prioritize production first? And also, a full IZ I take it means workshop + factory + powerplant?
Again, depends... Early on I usually go Factories before Libraries. I think Power Plant before University is also mostly the right way to go, as science is rarely the absolute bottleneck. You are correct on the full IZ.

Nice Strategy Danquayle!
The amount of gpt on your screenshot is quite impressive.

Thanks! But i don't think i found acronyms for ED, TD, and CD. Hahaha!

By the way, in case you guys didn't find any horses. Do you make Varu as a replacement?

As far as I have seen, ED = entertainment district, TD = Theater district, and CD = commercial district. Usually. But I think someone was using TD in a way that was unclear to me in an earlier post in this thread.

As far as I have seen, ED = entertainment district, TD = Theater district, and CD = commercial district. Usually. But I think someone was using TD in a way that was unclear to me in an earlier post in this thread.

Yeah, I'm also confused if he really meant TD as theater district, till now with random leaders I always end up taking at least 1 city with a TD and/or a holy site on it.

Thanks for the tips all! I hope I'll improve my time, got an amazing start but hard to find city states, haha should get better time for sure and didn't thought of saving the GS for electricity :( already got him and used him. That 1k science would have been very handy later than sooner.

Shame on me for confusing you, i was thinking about trading when writing TD, what should be CD.

Won on turn 378 (1957 A.D.) with a score of 531 (ranking of Warren G. Harding). Kind of a boring game given that one war was declared on me early, only lasted a few turns, and of course I never declared on anyone the entire game. I agree with those who have said that Gandhi doesn't seem like one of the more powerful leaders. And there's a lot of room for improvement in my science game, I feel like I should be able to win it a lot faster than this. On to the next game!

Attachments

• GANDHI 378 1957 AD.Civ6Save
    3.1 MB · Views: 78
One question.

What is the 100% adjacency yield of a district ?

CD
ComD
IZ
TD
HS

?

Campus I imagine is +4 since unless it really can go to 5 or even 4.5 with some crazy mountain with a hole in the middle or next to forest.

For Comercial should be 3 or can be 4 too?

I really don't understand clearly what exactly does the 100% adjacency bonus.

Wow great game! So if understand it right, you used GP only in building the spaceport and space projects?

You need to hard-build the Spaceport first (you can Chop Forests or Harvest Quarries to make it faster). Then you use the GPs to build all 5 parts. Make sure to use the 100% space projects GPs first. You can build all 5 parts in 4 turns with one Spaceport.

One question.

What is the 100% adjacency yield of a district ?

CD
ComD
IZ
TD
HS

?

Campus I imagine is +4 since unless it really can go to 5 or even 4.5 with some crazy mountain with a hole in the middle or next to forest.

For Comercial should be 3 or can be 4 too?

I really don't understand clearly what exactly does the 100% adjacency bonus.

The 100% adjacency bonus cards simply double the current adjacency yield of all districts of a specific type. For example, if you are getting +2 science from a Campus (since it is next to two mountains) and you decide to use the Natural Philosophy card (from the Recorded History civic which provides +100% Campus district adjacency bonuses), you will now be getting +4 science from that Campus from adjacency bonuses alone. This will happen for all Campuses in your empire. To know what exactly provides adjacency bonuses to a specific district type simply check out the district name in the Civilopedia. To know the current adjacency yield of a district, check out the second tab of the city info to the left (however, it will also take into account any bonus yields you are getting from any City State).

Top Bottom