Civ X or Civ 6 ?

So what are other civ fans playing?

Currently, I play a little civ IV, no civ V, and a lot of:

Madden 2013
DOTA 2 (Just got into this)
L4D2
Halo 4
Dark Souls

Well, I've always been a multi-genre gamer at heart. I was practically god-mode in SNES super bomberman, beating high school kids known for being good gamers in the neighborhood when I was in 2nd/3rd grade :).

Sins of a Solar Empire, and Europa Universalis for me when I'm not modding.

I removed my copy from my hard disk and rid myself of Steam in the bargain.

It was a good day, that day. :D

hmm interesting I will check sons of solar empire.

I have europa universalis but I dont understand that game....
i wanted to play as native indians and was unable to finish a lone tech, army or movement in the -whole- game

as if you started civ IV game and did everything proparly, but it would say: metal casting: 450 turns, warrior: 300 turns.

then i tried to play france which was supposed to be a superpower, and that would be as if each city you catured immediately culture flipped back after capture

so again, the wholoe game passed, where my cities would be captured and flipped back and enemy cities the same, at end of the game, the map was exactly the same....

the one cool feature is to see how the kings change along with their bonuses....

but maybe i ust didnt understand it, or maybe its not for me

I have europa universalis but I dont understand that game....
i wanted to play as native indians and was unable to finish a lone tech, army or movement in the -whole- game

but maybe i ust didnt understand it, or maybe its not for me

Yes, it feels quite strange to play a lesser power and nothing happening the whole game. I am also a bit disappointed that even after 7 or so years there is still a lot of stuff seemingly not properly working, and a lot of changing of game mechanics and rebalancing going on in the 5.2 beta. And with EU4 allready in development, this seems to be the final incarnation...
Maybe it's just a bit too complex to get everything balanced and working, but for me Civ IV with Mods like RFC, RFC Europe and Sword of Islam seem to be the better choice if I want to play a game based on real world history.

i play civ 6 its epic.

dont worry i get banned on civ 5 forum all the time, even if I politely ask, whether the AI understands the hexagons yet or not and whether science slider and other micromanagement was out back into the game

I didn't get banned from it, but the incessant spam of nonsense like:

- "herp I think the game engine runs just fine and it's not a problem to lose 90 minutes to 2 hours between/during turns hurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr"

- "they don't need to fix cities starving themselves it's not a big deal"

- "you should be grateful that failaxis is providing so much post-release effort into improving the game to a less-beta state and adding DLC, but the way the game actually plays from a mechanical standpoint is not an issue durrrrrrrrrr".

Really put me off. Nobody was interested in a quality game, they just wanted more DLC to buy and "nice graphics". I love the clowns telling me the civ V UI is good when it takes more inputs to do something in it than games many years older, including civ IV which also has a bad UI.

I wound up sort of self-banning because I couldn't put up with the gross incompetence and sheep-like nature of much of the community.

Now I'm hearing G&K has improved performance and was looking to check it out...but civ V isn't showing up on steam for me while all of my other games are. I'm tired of the failaxis BS. All of the other titles I own in Steam actually do work; commands function consistently, I don't have to wait to do things while playing, and I can actually play them.

Don't play as the native Indians without modding the game. Though even as them, you can Westernize.

then i tried to play france which was supposed to be a superpower, and that would be as if each city you catured immediately culture flipped back after capture
This, I don't understand. You need to diplomatically contact the nation you're fighting, and formally annex the provinces you're occupying. Or maybe you were playing a really buggy version.

All of the other titles I own in Steam actually do work; commands function consistently, I don't have to wait to do things while playing, and I can actually play them.
Since you are new to Dota2, I assume there actually are several occasions in that game where you have to wait to do things... :D

@TheMeInTeam out of curiosity, what is your favorite civ?

Quite the necro! For the mainline civ series:

Civ 4 > Civ 6 > Civ 5 > Civ 3 > Civ 2 > Civ 1

5 was pretty bad on release, and retained some degenerate design decisions. 4 wins on UI and AI threat level alone.

6 is pretty good too, and if it could solve some minor design issues wrt military units : map scale, AI, and especially a UI arguably inferior to some 1990s games it could at least make a case for best civ game. There's a lot of depth to the policy card system, and while the AI is bad the game's core incentives are mostly not broken (excepting diplo, which is broken in all civ games including 4).

Civ 3 had its own problems, but I wouldn't fault someone for putting it ahead of 5 depending on preferences.

So you are saying other Civ games have even worse UI than Civ4 without mods?

So you are saying other Civ games have even worse UI than Civ4 without mods?

Yes. While none of these are too bad with misinformation compared to other strategy games, they all have at least some misinformation. Civ 4 is miles better than 5 or 6 in terms of input efficiency. 4 can copy/paste queues, queue up multiple cities simultaneously (with a variety of ways to select them), add something to queue with 2 inputs, waypoint, manage cities from the sortable list of cities (including switching builds after sorting by production etc), and isn't so trivial to out-input unit movements faster than the game can keep up on > recommended specs.

5 and 6 don't have these things. It is much slower to play turns and manage 15-20 cities in Civ 6 than managing 50+ would be in Civ 4.

It's truly amazing that Civ5 and Civ6 have worse UIs than Civ4. I mean, shouldn't people learn from what went on before them?

People should learn, and a lot of game developers do learn. Despite that, there are UI conventions from Warlords 2/3 in the early-mid 1990s that should never have disappeared from turn-based strategy, but somehow did.

UI is uniquely bad in strategy games (at least, ones I've played), I think it's one of those things where they just don't tend to invest properly in it in this game genre, despite the complexity needing more rather than less investment. UI isn't a "lost art", if you look at gaming as a whole there are games with good-to-excellent UIs (in terms of information presentation/clarity, number of inputs required to do things) that have released every year from early 1990 until now.

If Civ 6 put even half of the time/budget used for its art/character animations/speech we would probably see some decent practices that others have used for 10-20+ years make it into the game.

In a way, some things don't change though I guess. While there are examples of excellent controls/UI dating back to the 90s, there has also always been volumes of games with bizarre choices or poor controls alongside them. Maybe there just aren't enough people who are good, or even adequate, at it to go around. Still, while the appearance of the game is important...it's kind of wild that art director would be emphasized more so than the person who dictates how players interact with/play the game. I would expect them to at least see equal emphasis (or I would if I didn't have a ton of past observations which did otherwise). Civ 6 appears go have put some care into how the game looks at a glance for players, but minimal if any on economizing inputs for players or managing how long players are making decisions vs interacting with UI/fighting it to act on those decisions.

I've seen people blame mobile device accessibility etc on this, but in the current era of making hotkeys bindable and allowing shortcuts, it seems like input efficiency should be at an all time high, not something that's notably declined in a series across a 10+ year period.

Necro? Because I haven't posted in ages? Yeah, I've lurked for a while without posting stuff, but recently got back into civ. Jumped up from prince to monarch and seem to do pretty well. I can get to a dominant position about half the time, with a variety of leaders.

Civ 4= best civ, I think it would work well with hexes too. Make the game hexes, with an attrition system for huge stacks, and you could potentially merge the best of both worlds. Make the other crowd happy.

One thing I've always hated is this argument, "But tall empires cant beat wide empires".

Well no horsehocky sherlock, it's almost like the empire building game should be about expansion and not sitting on 4 cities and still wining all the time.

The answer to tall vs wide is both. Nothing prevents you from growing large, powerful and beutiful cities in Civ4 no matter how many cities you have. Only with degenerate mechanics like Civ5's global happiness system is that even a question.

I don't mean a combat penalty, I mean they take damage, sort of like how europa universalis 4 does it.

It's not that often I have many units on the same tile for a longer time - but if I remember it right, only those units that exceeds the logistic number loose a little "hitpoints"

EU 4 nerfed the heck out of attrition, mostly because AI couldn't handle. Its cap right now is less than 1/3 what it was on release (excepting random "on-arrival" attrition being re-added because reasons, and only in deep sea provinces). In a game like this you'd probably have to wind up making the AI cheat on it, which in practice would limit its contribution to meaningful choice.

Besides, stacking too much is already *severely* punished by collateral initiative in Civ 4, between players that know the game. EU 4 has no comparable mechanic (damage to units that aren't in combat, other than minor morale damage). Heck, even HOI 4 doesn't do collateral this way, though HOI 4 is a disgrace, easily Pdox's worst game I've played in terms of UI and core mechanics. Hard to find a game in worse state than Civ 5 vanilla, but HOI 4 is (IMO) even worse since it has broken controls in addition to poor, internally inconsistent design choices.

EU 4 nerfed the heck out of attrition, mostly because AI couldn't handle.
And they couldn't even code the AI to understand Naval Attrition, so it has never suffered from it. Which is why you'll see Croatia blockading your port in Cuba for literally no reason and without Quest for the New World.

bUt MuH pArAdOx

Don't even get me started on the HOI 2 -> 3 -> 4 debacle.

Top Bottom