Civ2units 1453 scenario with LUA and ToTPP 0.15

Hello @Patine,
many thanks :thumbsup:

Currently I'm overworking my scenario which I finally named 'Age of Reformation' and covered the time period from 1517 to 1645. I know about the division of the Habsburg Empire into a Spanish and an Austrian line but in my game both nations are united during the game. I'm afraid dividing the Empire it could affect too much on the gameplay. Especially with the habsburgs you have the full range of gameplay, from the colonization of Central and South America to the Ottoman Wars until the religious and social conflicts during the Reformation.

Btw, if you would like to play a game with the current version, you will find the files here:
Age of Reformation

When I load the Reformation.scn file, the game says "Failed to load game; file is in obsolete format."

Did I do something wrong? Maybe I need some specific setting in ToTPP?

Last edited:
Hello @zwei833,

I've checked the files from the scenario league and they working fine.

Did you updated your Civilization ToT game with the latest official patch 1.1 from Microprose?
If not please do so first. You will find the file here: Official ToT patch 1.1

The ToTPP version from TheNamelessOne should be at least version 0.16. This is the version which I used designing the scenario.
But it also works with the latest version available here: ToTPP from TheNamelessOne

Please let me know, if the scenario still doesn't start.

Hello @zwei833,

I've checked the files from the scenario league and they working fine.

Did you updated your Civilization ToT game with the latest official patch 1.1 from Microprose?
If not please do so first. You will find the file here: Official ToT patch 1.1

The ToTPP version from TheNamelessOne should be at least version 0.16. This is the version which I used designing the scenario.
But it also works with the latest version available here: ToTPP from TheNamelessOne

Please let me know, if the scenario still doesn't start.

Thanks for your reply. I already load the scenario successfully after doing some adjustments in my ToTPP's settings.

However, if possible, I still want a screenshot of your settings in TOTLauncher.exe, in order to make sure I do the correct settings.

After played the scenario for a while, I have to say that The Age of Reformation is my "dreamed" scenario: setting in my favourite historical period, have a great variety of units and make full use of Fairline's fantastic graphic, lots of scripted historical event . Thank you for bring us such a great a scenario!

I have a couple of questions about The Age of Reformation:

1. What does the flag with blue cross on white ground (flag of Protestant League and german protestant units in game) represent? If I remember correctly, none of the major protestant princes use this coat of arms.

2. What is the requirement to build Armoured Cavalry? The readme.pdf lists no special requirement for it, but I can only build it in Spainish cities, Dijon and Vienna.

3. What is the requirement to build Imperial Longswordsmen and Imperial Arquebusiers? The readme.pdf lists no special requirement for these two units, but I can't build them in some cities such as Frankfurt, Berlin, Budapest. It makes me a bit confused that if these two units represent Habsburg's german troops, why can't they build in german cities like Frankfurt and Berlin, but can build in cities like Zagreb and Košice. It also makes me confused that in Budapest I can build Imperial Pikemen but not Imperial Longswordsmen and Imperial Arquebusiers.

4. Do you have historical referance for the event "Resurrection of the Byzantine Empire" in 1517? I have never heard of it and it sounds very interesting!

I've made some major updates on my Reformation scenario. The events of the Thirty Years War are now complete excluded and will find their way into an own scenario in future. Fairline has drawn a lot of great 30YW units.
In this future version, in which year the game will ends? Is the total turns also changes?

6. And a question not quite about the scenario itself but more about modding. What does the mk.dll and Tiles.dll of The Age of Reformation change?

I've to thank you for playing my scenario and giving me feedback.:thumbsup:

1. What does the flag with blue cross on white ground (flag of Protestant League and german protestant units in game) represent? If I remember correctly, none of the major protestant princes use this coat of arms.
I used the flag with the blue cross as a generic flag for the Protestants. It's not a historical flag though.

2. What is the requirement to build Armoured Cavalry? The readme.pdf lists no special requirement for it, but I can only build it in Spainish cities, Dijon and Vienna.
I've used lua for restricting units building. So some units can only be build in certain cities, the armoured cavalry is one of them.

3. What is the requirement to build Imperial Longswordsmen and Imperial Arquebusiers? The readme.pdf lists no special requirement for these two units, but I can't build them in some cities such as Frankfurt, Berlin, Budapest. It makes me a bit confused that if these two units represent Habsburg's german troops, why can't they build in german cities like Frankfurt and Berlin, but can build in cities like Zagreb and Košice. It also makes me confused that in Budapest I can build Imperial Pikemen but not Imperial Longswordsmen and Imperial Arquebusiers.
The Imperial longswordsmen and arquebusiers should be buildable in all German cities. Maybe I have to check the canBuildSettings.lua file.

4. Do you have historical referance for the event "Resurrection of the Byzantine Empire" in 1517? I have never heard of it and it sounds very interesting!
The Byzantine event isn't a historical one. I just added it for gameplay fun. Designing historical scenarios are always a balancing act between historical correct events and gameplay fun.

In this future version, in which year the game will ends? Is the total turns also changes?
In the new version the game starts in 1510 and ends in 1619. It covers the Reformation in Europe during that time but excludes the 30 Years War events. This should be something for an extra scenario.

6. And a question not quite about the scenario itself but more about modding. What does the mk.dll and Tiles.dll of The Age of Reformation change?
The tiles.dll and mk.dll are changing the ingame graphics like diplomatic and advisor screens into for the era more proper graphics.

I've updated the scenario with the other nations playable too now. Please let me know if you are interested in the updated files and I will send them to you via PM.
I didn't upload them until now because I'm currently testing the events for the Protestants.

I've updated the scenario with the other nations playable too now. Please let me know if you are interested in the updated files and I will send them to you via PM.
I didn't upload them until now because I'm currently testing the events for the Protestants.

Thanks for your reply! Of course I‘m interested in the new version, please send it to me :goodjob:

Hello Techumseh,

currently the updated version is nearly finished. I've only to check if all events for the Protestants are working fine, which I planned to do during my free time during christmas. Unfortunately I didn't find the time for it until now.
Please let me know if you are interested in the updated files, I can send them to you via PM.

Top Bottom