Civ3 for PC vs. Mac Civ3

Civ3 for PC vs. Mac Civ3

• Total voters

Civlord

King
What is better? Is vanilla Civ3 for Mac more buggy than the PC version? If not, then I think I will be buying a Mac and Civ3 1.29b2 ;).

Civ3 vanilla version 1.29b2 for Mac is pretty stable in my experience. I can't compare it with the PC version as I don't have it, but the Mac version works fine for me.

The PC has the two expansion kits as well, which are not currently available for the Mac, and the editor for the Mac version is not great, so if you are interested in modding you may prefer the PC version. It only supports version 1.21, so you can't place player start positions, for example.

A Mac is just a whole better experience than Windows in my opinion, and even if I could play no games at all on it I would still use a Mac rather than a PC. If I just wanted a games machine I'd probably have a PC ... or a PS2.

[EDIT] By the way, I voted Civ3 for PC is better, simply because there are more options - PtW, Conquests, Editor.

Same rationale as AlanH here. The presence of the 1.29f editor for the PC alone makes it better than the Mac version. In terms of actually playing the game, I prefer my Mac.

Well, speaking as a person who has both.

I even got an older PC just to play PTW and Conquests on it.

I will say that if you are just a die-hard traditional Civ player then go for the Mac. It is far more stable. It even sounds better. I am not sure why that is. My speakers are good for both my computers. However, if you get tired easily of not having new things to build, playing with new tribes, and participating in all the OTMs...then get the PC version Complete.

One other thing to consider is if you are going to want to get Civ4. So far no word on it being on the Mac.

One question, do you even have a computer yet?

I prefer playing it on my Mac, because - :band: it WORKS! Something that everything made by M$ has yet to do reliably. Also my family are always fighting over the PCs, but they're scared of a different OS so there's no competition to get onto my dear little Mac. (Speaking as a born-again Mac fanatic ;))

:beer: :king: :goodjob: :worship: :hatsoff: is how I sum up Mac, compared to PC experiences as mostly :crazyeye: :gripe: [pissed]
(Yes I might be coming on rather strong, but so would you if you'd had the same problems as me.)

@Vegasgustan, I currently have a 400MHz old PC. I am thinking about buying a new computer in the future.

Well, for what I've heard, it seems that Civ4 won't be made for Mac. However, Civ4 is quite... heavy. It has high system requirements and looks strange at all. I will keep playing Civ3 and leave Civ4 for a distant future.

Mac is really more stable, mostly because it's not M$ that makes its programs. It sucks, however, that systems like Linux or OS X have so few compatibility, or else nobody would be buying PC's anymore. Like Sophie said, but with a less extremist view, the world is divided between Mac lovers and Windows (especially XP) haters.

Quote: "Well, for what I've heard, it seems that Civ4 won't be made for Mac."

I don't believe that. Each new major version of Civ has made it onto the Mac OS. The only ones we missed were the expansion packs - PtW and Conquests, and, personally, I don't think we missed much. Macs are selling in larger quantities now than ever before, with major growth in the home and youth markets where Civ4 could be expected to sell well. Any new Mac you buy now (except possibly the Mini) would be able to handle Civ4's system requirements without any problem. I only exclude the Mini in case it *may* not have a high enough graphics processor spec. Any current G4 or G5 CPU would certainly be capable of playng it.

Brad Oliver, the lead developer responsible for porting Civ3 to Mac OS has recently posted here to say that he doesn't think there are any technical problems porting the Gamebryo engine underpinning the Civ4 code. He now works for Aspyr. Guess which company recently posted here asking for beta testers for a Mac strategy game?

Re. Mac OS compatibility: My Mac can read and write almost any document your PC can use. It fails on a few games, M$ Access databases, and (other) viruses, worms and spyware, all of which I can live without. I manage two office networks infested with Windows XP, so I do know what's possible. And when I get home I can breath a sigh of relief as I sit down at my Mac :D

Top Bottom