Civ3 on Earth. Accurate world map, accurate resource placement, correct startsites.

TrailblazingScot

I was kittenOFchaos
"Civ3 on Earth" has been updated to take advantage of the features of Civ3 1.29f. The major improvement being that players no longer need to use "Gramphos's Civilization Placement Tool".

I know, I know, I should have done this months ago :p

I will be making a signifcant update to "Civ3 on Earth" with the release of PTW as the PTW editor has many nice features in addition to allowing alot more civilizations, not to mention the new civilizations...

Till then :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Civ3 on Earth?

WHAT IS IT?
----------------
In essence this is an "improved" version of Marla's famous world map with customised rules. Marla stopped editing his map and never customised the rules that far to improve gameplay for this Worldmap...I have continued his work and will continue to do so.
I have playtested it and have found it VERY enjoyable...as a person who spent most his time on civ2 on the world.mp map THIS is for all those people who loved to do the same.

I welcome any feedback and if you can help me improve it I'd be delighted. However for very personal preferences please do private modifications and hey release it seperately!

Major things you'll notice!
Redrawn Western Europe...coast sea tiles ARE coastal! Higher research cost...less cultural flipping...more ways to control corruption and a higher optimal number of cities allowed...more expensive workers and settlers...longer Golden Ages...Accurate Strategic Resource Placement...the "Expansionist" has more benefits...ships move faster...MANY resources appear only with the invention of certain technologies e.g fish and whales become visible with the invention of mapmaking.

I hope you enjoy this "Mod/Scenario" as much as I have and have no problems in running it. If you do contact me via e-mail or PM and I'll try and help.

Contents:
A non-comprehensive readme ;)
The scenario file.

Simply extract the zipped files...put the civ3onearth.bic file in your civ3 scenarios directory.

Load it up from within Civ3 as you would any normal scenario.

Previous versions downloaded over 4500 times :king:

Attachments

• civ3onearth.zip
    89 KB · Views: 11,407
KittenOFchaos's WORLD MAP Version 1.4 (custom rules) README...Readme contained with download of latest version will tell you everything about that version!

What the download provides
--------------------------

FOLDER called kOcWORLDMAP contains 6 files...only the folder should need unzipped!
I COMPRESSED THE FOLDER USING WINZIP...www.winzip.com it is free to download!

Format is filename then below it an explaination as to what it is.
1. CPT.exe
Grampos's Civilisation Placement Tool download file. This is required (or his multi-tool to have accurate civplacements).
Once extracted to ANYWHERE on your hard-disk it runs by double-clicking and following the prompts...see "How to use the civilisation placement tool a little further down in this readme.

2. CTPreadme.txt
Readme text for Gramphos's CPT tool.

3. kittenWorldv5.bic
This is the scenario you load to play on the real world I provide AND has the "crippled" civilisations of the Aztecs, Zulus and Iroquois for gameplay purposes. DO NOT have the same civilisation twice in the game (e.g two roman civs) AND Don't Have the Americans (so no random civs and NO AMERICAN civ)

4. kittenWorldv5NC.bic
Same as above (file 1) EXCEPT that no civs are crippled and it is FINE to have the Americans playing :) (again don't have two roman civs etc or else you will have problems!)

5. kitten.cpf (now inside a zip file of called kitten.zip)
This is the "CPF" file required for the "Civilisation Placement Tool" to allow realistic civilisation placement.

6. kOcReadme
This readme file :)

HOW TO USE THE CIVILISATION PLACEMENT TOOL (note: Grampos's Multitool also does this!)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Utility thread:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11829

Having downloaded and installed the CPT (it is a simple exe.file that you extract ANYWHERE and double-click.)

1. Start a game as you want it (on a map that you have a CPF for THUS the filed named "kitten" I have provided).
2. Save the game.
3. Run the exe (no need to exit Civ3)
4. The Exe will ask for a SAV, find the SAV you saved
5. The exe will ask for a CPF file. Locate the CPF-for the map (file 3 of the download...file named kitten)
6. The exe will ask for a file to save it to. (Type in a new name (don't use the file it reads from, as it reads and writes at the same time))
7. A message "Done!" will show up when the SAV is fixed
8. Load the fixed SAV in the game.

Thread for Gramphos's Civ3Multitool:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7787

I would like to thank
---------------------
Marla Singer for his work on his world map for civ3 as it provides the "base" upon which I did this map. In addition I'd thank Grampos for his "civilisation placement tool".
Paul Saunders for his Realistic Starting Nations mod and the info THAT provided and this link to his webpage: http://www.wildwales.fsnet.co.uk/civ.html
To Grampos for his "Civilisation Placement Tool" and "Civ3multicopytool" both of which allow accurate civilisation placement with ease.

All those who have made useful contributions to threads at civfantics and apolyton concerning user-made maps.

*THE CHANGES*

Scenario Settings
-----------------

16 civs (though for "crippled civ" version put NONE rather than the American civ)
Raging Barbarians default: don't worry about it though, these guys are puny IMHO!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

General Settings
----------------

Movement along roads:
Increased from 3 to 4...to allow quicker movement across such a vast map. Also makes it easier to defend your empire as you can divert troops in your "interior lines" faster...a greater reward to the now greater cost of building roads.

-mainly done as the map is huge.

Wealth:
Shield cost per gold is now 6 not 8

-to make this a more useful thing...and note it now reduces war weariness (if it works...as it is never complete it may not!)

Citizen value in shields:
Is now 15 to reduce slighly the value of "whipping!"

Golden Age:
Increased from 20 to 25 turns...we all love it!

Forest value in shields:

Chance to intercept enemy stealth missions:
Now 5 percent

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Civilisations
-------------

Can't remember the changes I made...some regarding build priorities of A.I I think!

Returned to normal "civilisation abilities" for civs.

"Crippled Civs" (depending on what mappy you chose)
For the standard mappy rules the Iroquois, Aztecs and Zulus are "crippled" by not being able to build workers...but they start with 1 worker each. THE AMERICANS civ should not be used in this circumstance. The effect is that these areas don't reach their full potential for much longer so making them more vulnerable to conquest/colonisation despite favourable geography. Other changes along these lines may be applied.

If you chose the "non-crippled civs version" then the American civ is vital to stop the Aztecs and Iroquois running away with the game as the Iroquois as far as I've seen DO VERY WELL DESPITE BEING HOBBLED!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Civilisation Advance
--------------------

Increased cost of Steam Engine over and above the general increase in tech cost...the age of sail should last a little longer.

-this area of the game is something I plan to change eventually. More techs, units and improvements rather than longer research times is of more interest I am sure!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Combat Experience
-----------------

Conscript: 3 hitpoints rather than 2
Regular: 4 hitpoints rather than 3
Veteran: 5 hitpoints rather than 4
Elite: 6 hitpoints rather than 5

-to reduce the effect of the random variable in battles...THUS armour won't be defeated by a horsemen -lets say- so often (though I ain't very often at present BUT I am pleased with the effect)

Culture (note: massive changes is to counter the culture flipping excess exposed during wartime to some extent)
-------

so now...

In awe of:
5:1 culture (3:1 previously I think)
35% chance of successful propaganda
40% initial, 30% continued resistance

Admirers of
3:1
30%
50% 40%

Impressed with:
4:3
20%
60% 50%

Unimpressed with:
3:4
10%
70% 60%

Dismissive of:
1:3
8%
80% 65%

Distainful of:
1:5
5%
90% 70%

Difficulty Level
----------------

At Diety, Emperor AND Monarch level no attack bonus against Barbarians

Attack bonus at Regent against barbarians is now only 100%

Diplomats and Spies
-------------------

Diplomats AND spies can steal plans (revealing troop positions) at a cost
-Can't remember if this is a change

Improvements and Wonders
------------------------

Barracks:
Now reduces corruption

-a trained (and paid being the civ3 implication of the investment) military with centralised command can clamp down on rebellious or corrupt governers and provinces.

Courthouses:
Reduces corruption and propaganda AND costs less to build for civs with the "expansionistic" civ ability.

-I think it is important to tell you what things reduce corruption...I think corruption won't be as hard to deal with in my scenario as it is in the game.

Harbours:
Now are built cheaper by civs with "expansionistic" charcteristic and no longer those with "militeristic".

-expansionistic was of dubious value.

Banks:
Reduces corruption

-Banks (or more to the point the banking system) reduces corruption as to a great degree they can "police" transactions for fraud etc. I know this is simplistic but it is CIV not life.

Universities:
Reduces propaganda

-Universities are supposed to be filled with people that are intelligent, discourse freely and have time to find things out from the information sources they are provided. Though as a 3rd Year at Durham University I do wonder...though I wonder from inside a 1000 year old Castle!

Police Station:
Reduces corruption

-in an ideal world the police act against those breaking the law...however I don't see how the police reduce war weariness BUT since I am not sure about my wealth mechanism reducing war weariness AND the game could do with a bit more war weariness reduction I leave it in...until I properly address this issue.

Walls:
Cost increased from 1 to 3 (thus 30 shields now)

-far too cheap considering how useful...hardly any cost benefit for "militaristic" civ ability civs either!

Wealth:
In addition to now being more effective...every 6 shields produced produces 1 gold it also reduces war weariness.

-If the people are flourishing by way of production mainly going to THEM as an entity they are unlikely to be too upset about how things are being managed. 'Wealth' of civ3 is to me the spending of production to the benefit of the people, e.g all those things civ3 doesn't have, theatres etc and thus benefits the people and the economy.

Natural Resources
-----------------

New Resources: Wheat. Cattle. and Cattle..

Wheat. comes with the development of Chemistry and is the wheat resource visible at a later date in the game.

-Chemistry and thus the growth of the enormous fertilizer industry allowed food production to grow massively and this represents this though I'd have preferred the "farmland" of civII.

Cattle. comes with Feudalism and allows more cattle resources.

- to represent in Northern Europe mainly the rise of cattle farming and to start making Northern Europe a much more prosperous place. In particular France who florished at the time feudalism arises in this mod benefits from this and becomes GREAT.

Cattle.. comes with Navigation and is the cattle resource visible at a later date MAINLY in the New World.

-I was tempted to leave this to refridgeration or some such tech...as that allowed beef export to Europe (keyly from Uraguay) for sale. However I decided that since Navigation in essence allowed the transfer of cattle for breeding and farming in the New World in the many suitable areas afforded to it I should have it then. It also prevents the Aztecs and Iroquois (when crippled in particular) from being too powerful and marks that the start of the development of America...though in civ3 the natives even if ou are playing the crippled version are STRONG and no push-over.

Fish and whales: visible with invention of mapmaking

Terrain
-------

To allow me the ability to put strategic resources etc where the hell I wanted the rules allow strategic resources on most squares! Since you don't use these rules for creating a new map it is of no consequence (for that use Korn's Blitz rules as these are very good.)

Tundra:
Now produces no food EVER.
Movement penalty now 3

Sea:
Movement cost now 2

-to increase chance that those trying to use galleys to skip across sea tiles will get caught out

Ocean:
Movement cost now 2

-to increase the chance that those using galleys and caravels to skip across ocean tiles will get caught out. In addition it represents the difficulties the open ocean presents to travel by storms etc. To a large degree this is experimentation and it does no harm from my play-testing.

Mountains:
Movement cost now 5

-how quickly do you cross the Himalayas...perhaps the value should be 1 higher...again testing!

Desert:
Movement cost now 2

-for those talking about Rommel etc in the desert remember they usually kept to the coastal area...moving through soft sands which made the front at El-Alamain (for one) narrow and the other problems the dunes present (often very rugged terrain e.g Sinai) deserves the penalty.

Jungle:
Movement cost now 3.

Picture isn't of the most recent version!!! It is even better now :p

Seems like the Hippo killed my picture (will fix that later) :cry: bet it doesn't look as good now :(

Units
-----

(please note a cost of 1 in the editor means 10 shields in the game)

Settler:
cost increased to 7 (thus 70 shields)

Worker:
cost increased to 4

Explorer:
Costs 3 shields
Costs 1 population
Has an attack of 3 (Stanley & Co were often the equivalent of small armies...and certainly Spanish Explorers were capable of military actions!).
Explorers can in addition create colonies...
Explorers are limited to Germany, France, America (if applicable) and England as they were a 'western' tool of colonialism.

-I have done this as the present explorer though pretty is virtually of no value...were I to put a Spanish Civilisation I would use this graphic for the Conquistador!

ICBMs:
cost DECREASED to 30 (thus 300 shields) to allow MAD to be possible

Tactical Nuke:
cost DECREASED to 20

Galley:
Moves 3, transports 3

Caravel:
Moves 5, transports 3

Frigate:
Moves 6

Galleon:
Moves 6, transports 4

Ironclad:
Moves 5

Transport:
Moves 8, transports 7, defence 3

Carrier:
Moves 8, now requires 2 Iron and 1 Oil to produce.

Submarine:
Moves 6

Destroyer:
Moves 10

Bship: Moves 8, now requires 2 Iron and 1 Oil to produce.

AEGIS Crusier:
Moves 9, now requires 1 Aluminum, 1 Uranium and 1 Oil to produce.

Nuclear Submarine:
Moves 8

Samurai:
Now no longer requires iron

-Japan is not rich in iron and thus doesn't deserve the strategic resource. She was however easily capable of domestically and by limited trade able to get iron for the swords of Samurai (Samurai armour to my knowledge was not made up of metal to a large extend as compared to the plate armour of European Knights). So to not put a major constraint on the A.I Japanese player and to not give Japan an iron resource I have done this...human players could easily get hold of iron by the time Chivalry comes around.

Stealth Fighter:
Now requires 2 Aluminum and 1 Oil to produce, increased operational range to 6.

-operational range is something for this scenario I'd like to increase! In the recent conflict in Afghanistan B2 Bombers fly from West Virginia, bomb their target in Afghanistan and then land in the middle of the Indian Ocean!

Stealth Bomber:
Now requires 2 Aluminum and 1 Oil to produce.

Army:
Cost down to 10 from 40 (thus now only 100 shields)

-I have done this as the benefits of an Army are considered by many dubious and by myself as not worth of an extra 400 shields of production! Especially as armies are cool :)

Man-O-War:
Moves 6, no longer requires saltpeter

-having readup on saltpetre...Britain could supply organically from dovecoates etc enough saltpetre for her navy with if needs be without foreign sources...the question with the civ3 model is whether she can supply an army of musketeers, cannon and cavalry FOR that she still will require importation as in real-life. Again as with Japan it is asking too much of this civilisation naturally capable of producing their unique unit to HAVE that strategic resource or be given it. If this downgrades somewhat the Indian unique unit then my counter is simply that India has so many geographical advantages on the map.

Worker Jobs
-----------

Mine: 3 turns to complete
Irrigation: 11 turns to complete
Fortress: 14 turns to complete
Road: 6 turns to complete
Railroad: 12 turns to complete
Plant Forest: 20 turns to complete
Clear Forest: 15 turns to complete
Clear Jungle: 20 turns to complete
Clear Pollution: 24 turns to complete
-to slow down the alteration of the face of the world by man...it is far too easy to irrigate the whole of Asia with the original settings in a short period of time!

World Sizes
-----------

On all world size optimum number of cities (corruption) is 40
- to again counter to problem of rampant corruption in empires that aren't overly large!

Tech Rate is 300
- With 15 civs (16 if applicable) it doesn't take much effort to swap or buy tech from each other and thus technological advancement is very rapid and needs slowing down for each era to be properly played out.

Version 3: changes
------------------

Eliminated non-coast 'coast' terrain...replacing with sea terrain as I thought appropriate.

Removal of a river in Central Asia that I have no clue why it appears on the map AND it leads via flood plains to an exceptionally fertile area in what is in fact desert!

I also did this in Eastern China by deleting some river tiles so it still looks almost the same (less green) BUT trade and FLOOD plains are diminished (or so I hope!).

Removed some 'whales' from around Iceland as it makes her produce too much food...will be considering researching WHERE the main whale hunting grounds are for a later version.

Version 4: changes
------------------

To rules as I wrote up readme file...the changes are unimportant as the result is what is in this readme :) Changes were simple and conservative. Main change was that Wealth reduces war weariness as the population enjoying the benefits of a country running "wealth" will be less unhappy with how things are. Plus a few more goody huts added.

Plans
-----

BUY AN ATLAS and then actually improve the map itself more than I've allowed myself to o so using what internet sources I have, memory and imitation of the better aspects of some peoples maps e.g Kal-el. A main area of improvement will be focused at the West Coast of South America.

To increase the number of city names and leader names...though there is a mod to do that around somewhere.

Independent recommendations for the mappy
----------------------------------------------------------

This one is up to you :) (actually the real readme has some already!)

N.B This is a work in progress :king:

How did you get realistic civ starting locations?

the kitten.cpf is not included in the zip file. so you cant have a historical placement of civs. where can i get that cpf file?

Originally posted by History_Buff
How did you get realistic civ starting locations?

Using Gramphos civ placement tool.

Nice looking piece of work kitten :) And I tried to size up your post as requested and it works though the picture is now very small. If you don't like it as it now is then feel free to edit it yourself.

Originally posted by MadAgent
the kitten.cpf is not included in the zip file. so you cant have a historical placement of civs. where can i get that cpf file?

Yea I noticed that too!

No fun playing the map without the correct starting locations... you have to include that file and quick, before everyone downloads and starts complaining...

Sorry about THAT!

Will fix that after lectures today (got a test on a subject I know approximately nothing about...Basin Stratigraphy hohum!)

Actually I decided it to do it now rather than revise/vise my work for the test.

I HAVE FIXED THE ORIGINAL ZIP IF YOU JUST NEED THE CPF FILE USE THE LINK BELOW!

http://forums.civfanatics.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=170684

My excuse is how EARLY in the morning it was (about 3-5 am)...

Regarding the problem with tanks getting killed by knights for example.

How about raising the defence and attack values for armored units by a factor of, five for example. Making sure to keep things balanced.

I think this might actually help make the Ironclad beat all non armored ships without problems as it did in the real world.

I realise that this will require a lot of work balancing things, but I also think it would be worth it.

In the post above I said that you should raise the attack and defence values of armored units, but thats not exactly what I meant. I meant that you should consider what units are vastly superior compared to an older unit (knights vs tanks) and then raise the superior units defence and attack so that it is nearly impossible for it to even get damaged by the inferior unit.

Doc...I may well be changing such values if playtesting with the higher hitpoint values does not bring about sufficient change.

So far I am well pleased with the effect wrought.

The civ3 combat model IS A SIMPLIFICATION. There isn't a smoooth transition in technological change...e.g frigates don't increase in power the longer you have the tech for them and NEITHER ARE the first Ironclads very slow, pretty unmaneouverable and liable to sinking in high seas. Thus I am not too enamoured with the idea of making each new progression a large divide over the older ones.

Indeed if I think the system is still affected toomuch by the random factor I'd increase hitpoints further RATHER than start looking to the more complicated balancing of attack and defense values. If this was the case I'd increase the strength of cannons etc bombard to allow them to hurt these higher value units.

After more playtesting (I'm playing at emperor at the moment as the Russians...it is 1000 AD and the Germans are quite frankly scaring me)...the game is working out very nicely and the combat system appears to be working well thus far.

What has struck me is the need to make resources less likely to be exhausted...I have already lost my iron and it re-appeared in the artic circle near Kamchatka :mad:

:D

About the Spanish, i think they need to be in the game. I know this will not help France much but eventually they most probarly would expand into Africa along with the Spanish which will even it out. Also the French will make more cities in France probarly. I think witout Spain in there it feels really bad as because Spain plays such a vital part in colonial and European history. I think also the Americans need to be there because again they play such a big part in the mdern world and it would be a bit unrealistic that when you reach the modern world whilst playing the game America was a lang of hunters and gatherers being the Aztecs and Iriques i can see your point of missing them out to make it more realistic at the start, but also if you want to do that speaking in other terms would it not be more realistic then if your left cattle and other European based produce out of the Americas?

I think until there is a scenario editor we should leave the Americans in. I will ask the graphics designers for leader animations for the vikings and incas and also the Spanish just incase you change your mind. I love your map keep up the good work then.

Version 6 already WOOT!

Version 6.
----------

TECH_currency for taxmen
TECH_writing for scientists

Corrected spelling of the name of Marshal Zhukov in the Russian Great leaders names...I am reading his memoirs so I am definitely right!

Changed a vast number of city names for the English civ...we really had some odd ones..."Dureham"...perhaps that was supposed to be Durham HMM? (like where I am at University?)
Cities like "The mumbles", "Jersey", "Cornwall" were obvious bollocks...in addition I changed the order the cities appeared in as befitting to some degree their importance e.g Norwich used to be very important as the second city of England...

Changed the Great Leaders for England...the ignorant Firaxian made a hash of this with Great Leaders such as Clinton and Wallace...now expect to see "Henry V", "Clive of India" and "Lawrence of Arabia" and if you really get loads of GLs MONTY!

Factory now requires iron AND coal.

Changes to resource disappearance probability to reduce exhaustion and thus relocation...I

may in future remove this aspect of the game completely:

iron 800 - 200
saltpeter 800 -200
coal 400 -200
aluminium 400 -200

Japanese now start with the techs of pottery and alphabet to aid their advancement to

mapmaking rather than having warrior code and ceramonial burial. Russians to start with the

wheel instead of pottery to allow them to cope better with the rigours of exploring a

continent, typically expansionistic civs given pottery to aid their progress to mapmaking

-how much the Russians value this NOT! As one poster said and I found out the Russians need bulking up to deal with the European and Middle Eastern Civs moving to Siberia.

Gave New Zealand's South Island a river...tried to redraw New Zealand and failed. Did a few

small alterations all the same. If I get motivated enough to deal with this area I will redraw it as it is in no way purrfect.

Got rid of rubber in Australia...the joy of the "easy to see" resource graphics I have newly installed is these resources can't hide anymore! :)

HUGE correction of rubber allocation that had hidden from my kitten eyes...this resource was far too abundant even though it is extremely important.

Changed Jap starting site as appropriate to where Kyoto is...

MAIN CHANCES THUS:
Redrawing Japan and placing Japanese startsite as appropriate for Kyoto. Correcting

massively "rubber" allocation and resource depletion rates...

ALSO I have corrected alot of typos in attached readme and have updated it to some degree. In addition the CPF file is updated to recognise the change to the Japanese startpoint.

:D

FILE REMOVED AFTER 200 DOWNLOADS...version 7 is now available and I know for sure that one has been more rigourously checked for bugs AND is compatible with patch 1.17f

New looking worldmap:

Attachments

• v6world.jpg
    v6world.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 21,732
Screenies of version 5 in action...

Nice things to spot are the French have invaded Nottingham (where Plymouth in real-life is) and the Romans have taken Athens. In addition you will see on the worldmap minimap THAT France has a city on Newfoundland and in Canada...

You see abit of my Russian empire to the East...:D

Attachments

• 1000adeuro.jpg
    1000adeuro.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 22,285
Now a piccie of my Russian empire: This is emperor difficulty...my empire is rather small because I want to finish my game reasonably quickly for play-test purposes...the fact the Germans would mullah anybody is neither here nor there :)

Attachments

• 1000adrussia.jpg
    1000adrussia.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 20,502
For those that agree with me that those screenies look a bit naff and want to see my game at 1000 A.D here is the saved game.

Hope it works for you...this file is a zip file as always...

Note: my empire will fail to get the Sistine Chapel unless we get the Germans to quickly take out Paris (my diplomats have been hard at work).

The difficulty is emperor and my expansion was slowed by a barbarian radi destroying a near finished settler VERY early on (my first settler) AND that I played it carelessly so as to play-test as much as possible in as short a period of time.

Enjoy :D

Attachments

• catherine of the russians, 1000 ad.zip
    330 KB · Views: 525
Top Bottom