Civ4 Complete installs okay, but locks up shortly after starting the game

pumpknhd

Chieftain
I recently got Civ4 Complete off eBay - apparently the UK version, if that matters - and I had some issues getting it to run post-install because my DVD/CD-RW was a slave to my CD-RW drive and the game startup didn't like that, so I pulled out the older CD-RW drive to leave the DVD/CD-RW in alone and as master, and the game now at least starts up. I tried applying the 1.74 patch just because but it said it couldn't find my successful install. Reading some of the troubles around that patch post-application, I decided not to worry about applying it right now. So, I got it installed on my should-be-capable PC and that all looked good, but I can't really run the game. When I launch any of the three games, including Warlords and BTS, I get the first few cinematics fine and then get to the point where I want to select my game options, and the game starts flickering. Eventually, if I make it as far as starting the game, it locks up completely and I've had it drop to my desktop with a message stating something to the effect that the nv4_disp driver has stopped working normally. I'm attaching all my errors and screen shots. I did some testing and found out that if I simply launch the game and let it reach the menu where you select single player, multi-player, etc, and then just let it sit there, it will eventually lock up the display. When I first launch it and get past the initial cinematics (which run beautifully, by the way), moving my mouse around has the effect of making the image kind of flicker. Whether I just let it sit there or attempt to start a game, it eventually locks up. Actually trying to start a game accelerates the process, and the times where the game started to start, the colors are all way off.

I've updated all my drivers, including video card and I reinstalled DirectX 9c, and I've scaled back hardware acceleration to the point of none and tried all manner of settings. I've also tried running on a fresh boot with nothing else opened, and I've used msconfig to limit the things that start up in my tray to only a few things I actually use. I also bumped up hard drive virtual memory to use 4092 MB, the max allowable.

Oddly enough, the game installed and runs fine on my HP Pavilion laptop, which has greatly inferior specs (1 GB RAM, no special video card). I have to assume that my desktop hardware is all fine and up to snuff, but that there's some sort of a software conflict, but I'm unable to find it.

So, that's my sad story. Any ideas out there that can get this game running for me on my desktop?

My full details are attached, but here's a selection of what's probably pertinent:
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.100427-1636)
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs), ~3.0GHz
Memory: 2046MB RAM
Page File: 864MB used, 5120MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT - I have two of these installed configured with SLI
MSI NX8500GT-TD256E OC GeForce 8500 GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI Support Video Card
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce 8500 GT
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0421&SUBSYS_09401462&REV_A1
Display Memory: 512.0 MB
Current Mode: 1600 x 1200 (32 bit) (85Hz)
Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200
Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll
Driver Version: 6.14.0012.6099 (English)
DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 10/16/2010 10:55:00, 6359552 bytes

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    52.5 KB · Views: 46
  • civ4error.JPG
    civ4error.JPG
    19.3 KB · Views: 59
  • civ4error2.JPG
    civ4error2.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 53
  • civ4error3.JPG
    civ4error3.JPG
    18.9 KB · Views: 43
  • manifest.txt
    1.3 KB · Views: 58
That did it! Thank you, sir. Disabling the SLI and just letting it run on one card got me conquering the world. :)

Top Bottom