1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

CIV4 Map of Planet Mars (v1.22b)

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Pre-made Maps' started by GarretSidzaka, Jan 20, 2006.

1. GeoModder

GeoModder Deity

That's for sure! :goodjob:
    Once made a (small) Marsmap for SMAC, and I remember how tough it was getting it right.

If I may make a last remark: perhaps more of those dunehills on Tharsis could be switched to icehills. After all, the area is in general 10 km above datum so would catch quite an amount of snow on the fringes from the right wind direction.

2. GarretSidzaka

GarretSidzaka Deity

ive also noticed the coasts are bereft of production when the trees are gone (not enough hills).

Im having to put off the update till i format my harddrive (Micr0s0ft is the Devil!)

Hope fully tomarow night and it will much more playable

thanks!

3. GarretSidzaka

GarretSidzaka Deity

hello :)

1.3 to be out later today

thanks!

4. GarretSidzaka

GarretSidzaka Deity

Actually its 1.22b thats out today. sorry for the inconvienience.

download the one at the top of the thread :)

I would appreciate more feedback.

Now its time to start my new scenario.

Thanks!

5. Gazglum

Gazglum Chieftain

It would be great if someone could combine something like this with leaders from Kim Stanley Robinson's epic Mars trilogy (which was a major source for SMAC by the way). Like; Arkady: Philosophical and Aggressive, Nadia: Industrious and Expansive, John: Creative, Financial. I'm sure better traits could be thought up, but for those who know the books I hope you'd agree what an amazing mod it could make, especially with proper terraforming abilities added, so that you started on a 'Red Mars', and to win you had to terraform your area to make it more productive than your opponents.

6. Overlag

Overlag Prince

those maps are very interesting!!! I wonder if some people have done it for the likes of venus.... hmmm

One thing that seems to be missing on those maps is the ice melting from the south pole, would create large rivers, and alot of green/forests near the south, yet those maps transit from ice, to desert?

7. GeoModder

GeoModder Deity

The southcap lays still quite high above datum, and weather patterns there (even if terraformed) would be more pronounced due to the position of Mars in it orbit during southern summer/winter.

8. GarretSidzaka

GarretSidzaka Deity

if you load the map in the world builder, look south and north. i represented the meltwater with rivers drawn vertically up to the top of the map. although admit, this is a weak interpretation. if you someone could give me any ideas as to how they think it could be done, i would be happy.

Its good to hear that. I myself just finished re-reading the trilogy just about a month ago. I read it first when i was like 14-15. For this map to work i'd have to fill Argyre and make rivers away from the basin!1 :crazyeye:

sounds like a fun side project while doing my scenario. i will have a thread up soon. its called the "Second Revolution"

9. GarretSidzaka

GarretSidzaka Deity

Oh yeah, and make sure you download the newest version from up top! :D

10. ChrTh

ChrTh Happy Yule!

I think we'd have to add a new trait to accurately reflect all the characters: Annoying

Maya would be Annoying and Expansive
    Ann would be Annoying and Organized (Mars! Mars!)

(I gave up halfway through the second one, when I realized I had 100+ pages of Maya-focus to slog through. I'd consider revisiting the series, but KSR's blatant anti-religionism annoyed me no end--even moreso than Maya!)

EDIT: Sorry for the brief off-topic :crazyeye: ... I'm going to try this out some time this week, is 1.3 due shortly, or is 1.22 the last one for awhile?

11. GarretSidzaka

GarretSidzaka Deity

Hell lets talk KS robinson! Who cares! it is a mars map! LOL :lol:

I didn't notice too much anti-religionism, but i did notice alot of anti-corporate capitalism, which I cant imagine anyone disagreeing with (unless you are a corporate!)

Im putting down Hiroko as Spiritual/Annoying ;)

Some one oughtta do a mod! i would hella play it! I would even fill the argyre sea for it :crazyeye:

12. Sims2789

Sims2789 Fool me once...

This map looks great! Can't wait to play it!

13. GarretSidzaka

GarretSidzaka Deity

Enjoy, my friend!

14. SilverKnight

SilverKnight Prince

Wow, looks great! I'll give it a try when I get back from classes. BTW, ever been to RedColony.com?

Can't wait to play it! :goodjob:

SilverKnight

15. GarretSidzaka

GarretSidzaka Deity

i like that site. got it bookmarked now :D

16. GeoModder

GeoModder Deity

dito here.

17. SilverKnight

SilverKnight Prince

Hate to :bump:, but actually read through this thread and realized people were talking about a Mars Trilogy mod. GO FOR IT!!! I would totally play it, I'm just too swamped with school to work on one now. :sad:

Why are there X-mas smilies NOW? :xmascheers:
    SilverKnight

18. GarretSidzaka

GarretSidzaka Deity

that would be cool! i am working on one project now, but another one would have to be very community supported like some of the other big mods coming out. i would love to start a thread, but i would need more names of support

19. Rolypoly

Rolypoly Chieftain

Sweet! I can't wait to play this in a multiplayer game this weekend, will be cool.

Also just throwing my support behind a Mars Trilogy Mod, that is still my favourite series (followed by WoT).

20. GarretSidzaka

GarretSidzaka Deity

thanks roly
    make sure to check out my map of venus and my map of titan! i hope we eventually do a mars mod!