1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

CIV4 Map of Planet Mars (v1.22b)

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Pre-made Maps' started by GarretSidzaka, Jan 20, 2006.

1. Cyborg N

Cyborg N Chieftain

Wow! This is unbelieveably cool. Thanks!

2. GarretSidzaka

GarretSidzaka Deity

thank you bro! this was the first thing i ever done for civ4. there are some other planetary maps out there, some by me too.

3. Kissamies

Kissamies Prince

Heh, I'd enjoy KSR's books otherwise, but I have trouble following his extremely long-winded characters. Off topic aside, I will definitely try this out... and those other planet maps as well.

Idea for an alternative version for this map would be contemporary treatment of Lowellian Mars seen in some RPGs. That is, take the real topography, mellow it a bit and then add canals (rivers).

4. GarretSidzaka

GarretSidzaka Deity

i have to agree about his *yawn* characters. but the revolutions on mars were just too cool.

a lowellian mars, smacking of boroughs, would be cool, but the community would need a good map by lowell.

5. Berserker8778

Berserker8778 Chieftain

The map won't load in the game. Is there a particular requirement or update I need?

6. GarretSidzaka

GarretSidzaka Deity

What version of civ4 are you playing?

7. Berserker8778

Berserker8778 Chieftain

version 1.61. Is it not compatible? Bascially, what happens is that I enter the map and it already told me I lost, like the starting units aren't even there.

8. GarretSidzaka

GarretSidzaka Deity

hmm thats not good. maybe i will update this map tonite.

9. Morfydd

Morfydd Warlord

Was fairly interesting.. and seeing maps of other planets that have been terreformed gives me ideas on python events that occur post space race <removing space race from victory condition> with the only advantage to winign the space race is like say 5 turns on new planet before the rest start showing up one civ at a time based on their score...anyway is a good map vey interestign and fun to play

10. GarretSidzaka

GarretSidzaka Deity

Thank you for the compliment. Good luck on making lots of interesting mods!!

11. Bahmo

Bahmo King

How do I get this to work?

12. GarretSidzaka

GarretSidzaka Deity

well, lets see, this is a vanilla civ4 map, you will probly have to change the name to Mars.Civ4WarlordsWBS from the .Civ4WorldBuilderSave. this will cause it to work in civ4 warlords. (im assuming thats the problem?)

13. Bahmo

Bahmo King

But it's name doesn't contain the phrase "WorldBuilderSave." It's just called MARS1.22b

14. GarretSidzaka

GarretSidzaka Deity

go to tools, folder options (in windows) in the folder you have it in. go to the middle tab, find in it's list (hide extensions for file types) and TURN IT OFF!!!
    then hit "apply to all folders" then okay. now you should be able to see it and rename it.

this is the lamest excuse for an operating system BILL MUTHAFUKING GATES!:mad:

15. Bahmo

Bahmo King

Do you mean the C folder called Windows? I can't see anything called "tools" there.

16. GarretSidzaka

GarretSidzaka Deity

no in the menu bar of any folder (at the top)

17. 1shmael

1shmael Chieftain

If you want a truly unique gaming experience, have a go at creating Percival Lowell's Mars -- where the entire planet is a wasteland, but for a network of low-lying, riverine canals, criss-crossing the planet's surface.

I made several such maps for Civ3. Great fun exploring them. Sending my ships up and down the canals searching out other civilizations nestled in the great green valleys.

I dreamed of making a Mod based on Lowell and H.G. Well's, where Victory is achieved not by building a ship to travel to Alpha Centrai, but by building an Invasion Fleet to attack Earth. :) Unfortunately, I could never have the time to devote to such a project.

18. GarretSidzaka

GarretSidzaka Deity

sounds like the making of a mod to me! problem is the lack of sci-fi units in civ4

i too have a full plate with now 4 separate projects at once now.

19. Bahmo

Bahmo King

Okay, I found the option and turned it off. Now where do I rename the file. Can I do it in "Edit File Type?"

If so, how?

If not, where do I edit it, and how do I do it?

20. GarretSidzaka

GarretSidzaka Deity

just click the name of the file once, then it will turn to text selection. rename it to "mars.Civ4WarlordsWBS"